Speaking Arabic

Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:03 pm
W10

Default Re: Speaking Arabic

amazingly.

etisalat means 'calls'
wasel (as in wasel card) means 'communicate'

and of course we all know

burj means tower, so the names burj dubai, burj al arab, and now stunningly 'Al Burj' must have taken countless committees, focus groups and millions of dirhams.

Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:29 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Not that i recommend it or condone it but just for informational purposes one could in theory look here if they were so inclined

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/24...Eastern_Arabic

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/98...uaphone_Arabic

http://www.bittorrent.com/detail.htm...arabic&index=0
so if one were so inclined - which of these would be most useful to learn with?

We had 2 lessons - didn't seem as hard tp learn as I feared, but gave up due to being terminally lazy. Need to rememdy that trait...

So - any thoughts on the best as everyone seems to indicate classical arabic is not the way to go...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:40 am
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
so if one were so inclined - which of these would be most useful to learn with?

We had 2 lessons - didn't seem as hard tp learn as I feared, but gave up due to being terminally lazy. Need to rememdy that trait...

So - any thoughts on the best as everyone seems to indicate classical arabic is not the way to go...

OK IMHO, Classic Arabic is not the way for me, I can speak fluently "local" arabic but when it comes to classic I dont have a clue, Imagine my DD fails in Arabic at school as they teach classic and she has no idea, if only they would test her on "local" we would be laughing.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:41 am
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute

PS - jammy where did you learn your Arabic ???? its a little off track to be honest
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:45 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk4uae
PS - jammy where did you learn your Arabic ???? its a little off track to be honest
Have lived in the region on and off for years, Saudi,Bahrain,here.

I take it that being married to a local that you speak arabic quite well.

Is there a big difference orally between classical and local ??
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:03 am
W10

There's a big difference between classical arabic and every other dialect!!

Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:05 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
There's a big difference between classical arabic and every other dialect!!
have you learnt much arabic W10??
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Have lived in the region on and off for years, Saudi,Bahrain,here.

I take it that being married to a local that you speak arabic quite well.

Is there a big difference orally between classical and local ??
Yup being married to a local helps although it is a bit mixed up as some speak Saudi arabic, others local and the other bit Ajami so it is hard but yes I do speak Arabic fluently.

Orally classic I find is difficult - local is more CH on the beginning rather than K, basicly it is softer
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:08 am
W10

Not as much as I should. I was getting quite good but then I let it slip and a lot of it has gone. Back on track now (Learning levantine) and giving reading and writing a crack now.

Ana etaalam...

Ana ehke bas schwey, ana efham ahktar

Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:09 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
Not as much as I should. I was getting quite good but then I let it slip and a lot of it has gone. Back on track now (Learning levantine) and giving reading and writing a crack now.

Ana etaalam...

Thats the lebanese dialect yes ??
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by W10

Ana etaalam...

He speaks little but understands a lot !

EEEEK I hate Lebanese Arabic
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:26 am
W10

It's one of the easier ones to learn.

It also has the best swearing.

Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by W10
It's one of the easier ones to learn.

It also has the best swearing.

Nah I can beat you hands down on that one in both local and ajami
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:20 am
W10

I am your humble student.

But in favour of Lebanese - any language in which the opening insults are all based around people's mothers, sisters, prostitutes, asses, spitting and ****ing thereof...has to have something going for it, no?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice

Hi all moving out in August and hunny and I both would like to learn how to speak Arabic, hubby braver he wants to read and write.. My son speaks fluent Spanish and has said due to our age we would find it extremelly difficult. What do you all think? Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.