Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Some more questions about visiting Dubai with a baby

Some more questions about visiting Dubai with a baby

Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Jumping is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some more questions about visiting Dubai with a baby

So, I'm tagging along on my husband's business trip together with our 10 month old son.

I hope someone can answers these questions for me before we get there:

- if I'm making up formula, is it ok to use the tap water (boiled first), or would you recommend using bottled water (and if so, any particular brand - bit concerned about the levels of minerals/sodium in bottled water for a baby)?

- are taxis with car seats for babies readily available, or will I have to bring our car seat with us whenever we take a taxi?

- we'll be staying at the villa rotana suites, which are stated as being 300 metres from the emirates mall, and 600 metres from jumeirah beach - will it be feasible for me to walk to these places with a stroller, or will it be too hot (will be there in mid to late march)?

Hope someone can help! Thanks in advance....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:10 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some more questions about visiting Dubai with a baby

Originally Posted by Jumping
- if I'm making up formula, is it ok to use the tap water (boiled first), or would you recommend using bottled water
Tap water here is OK, but it's said to have a very high sodium content. Then again, so does most bottled water here. The "Arwa" brand of bottled water has the lowest sodium content I've seen of any of the local brands; the international brands may be lower still, but I've never looked.

are taxis with car seats for babies readily available, or will I have to bring our car seat with us whenever we take a taxi?
Apparently, taxis with baby seats do exist, but in three years I've never seen one. You'd almost certainly have to pre-book in order to get one. Simpler to take your own car seat.

we'll be staying at the villa rotana suites, which are stated as being 300 metres from the emirates mall, and 600 metres from jumeirah beach - will it be feasible for me to walk to these places with a stroller, or will it be too hot (will be there in mid to late march)?
No idea what the "Emirates Mall" is. It certainly can't be the Mall of the Emirates, because that's 6 miles from the Villa Rotana Suites and on the other side of the busiest, craziest road in the country. You'd be within walking distance of the Mazaya Centre mall, though - that's about a kilometre away.

As for "600 metres from Jumeirah beach"... no Even in a dead straight line, Google Earth puts it at 2,395 metres, or 2.4 km. Yes, you can walk it, but it's not a direct route and involves crossing an awful lot of roads. Taxi time again!

Last edited by Eeyore; Feb 20th 2008 at 9:15 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Eeyore - that's very useful information Hahaha about the 300/600 metres thing - isn't it funny how hotel websites have a different basis of measurement to everyone else!

Taxis and car seat it is then....
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes that is hilarious! Villa Rotana suites will be close the new Mall of Arabia but it isn't finished yet and no one would try and cross the highway!! you can walk to safestway and the Mazaya Centre. Taxis everywhere I am afraid and as Eeyore says, bring the car seat. Have fun! I actually got a bit of a tan yesterday
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Jumping;5960947]So, I'm tagging along on my husband's business trip together with our 10 month old son.

- if I'm making up formula, is it ok to use the tap water (boiled first), or would you recommend using bottled water (and if so, any particular brand - bit concerned about the levels of minerals/sodium in bottled water for a baby)?

Maybe wrong but don't think there are any areas in which springs exist here so my guess is all bottled water is also same as tap water ie from desalination plant, (just like being on a boat at sea)but could be wrong.Good luck with the baby hope its not to warm for him/her
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lookinatdubai;5964604]
So, I'm tagging along on my husband's business trip together with our 10 month old son.

Maybe wrong but don't think there are any areas in which springs exist here so my guess is all bottled water is also same as tap water ie from desalination plant, (just like being on a boat at sea)but could be wrong.Good luck with the baby hope its not to warm for him/her
no the water comes from springs in the mountains, well Masafi does
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Have just seen these replies - thank you. What a shame the Mall of Arabia isn't finished - I looked on a map of Dubai and it looks very close.

Can anyone tell me what brands of formula/baby food are available to buy? I was planning on just bringing enough with us to get through the first few days until I get to a supermarket. We usually use Aptamil 3 follow on milk, or a Swedish make of formula called Baby Semp, and Hipp Organic baby food in jars.

I'm starting to get very excited now! It snowed again here today - spring seems a long time coming this year. Looking forward to feeling the sun on my back - it's been a while.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Desi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really niceDesi Taffy is just really nice

Have just seen these replies - thank you. What a shame the Mall of Arabia isn't finished - I looked on a map of Dubai and it looks very close.

Can anyone tell me what brands of formula/baby food are available to buy? I was planning on just bringing enough with us to get through the first few days until I get to a supermarket. We usually use Aptamil 3 follow on milk, or a Swedish make of formula called Baby Semp, and Hipp Organic baby food in jars.

I'm starting to get very excited now! It snowed again here today - spring seems a long time coming this year. Looking forward to feeling the sun on my back - it's been a while.
Aptamil and Hipp Organic are available here. If you are concerned about the water and making up feeds, you can buy ready made up formula milk as you would find back home. Dont forget to bring sunshade for the stroller. The sun is quite strong during the day! Enjoy the trip.

Last edited by Desi Taffy; Mar 4th 2008 at 11:39 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Only use bottled water, your baby would react least to this. We've travelled worldwide with our 15month old and even using her own formula from the UK the bottled water is safest. It will be slightly different from what he's used to so watch out for some exciting nappies the 1st few days.

Taxi drivers are insane! Do not feel bad about telling them to slow down and drive nicely. I always told them if the drove nicely they'd get a good tip but some of them don't even care. In all the years I've visited dubai I've never seen a taxi with a infant seat.

Heat wise it shouldn't be too bad. We bought the Evian water sprays which were great for just spraying on the babies face. You'll love it, its a great place and people love kids! Last october we were grabbing a sandwich at the food court in Mall of the Emirates and a local family all came over to talk to us and play with Jnr.

Daz

- are taxis with car seats for babies readily available, or will I have to bring our car seat with us whenever we take a taxi?

- we'll be staying at the villa rotana suites, which are stated as being 300 metres from the emirates mall, and 600 metres from jumeirah beach - will it be feasible for me to walk to these places with a stroller, or will it be too hot (will be there in mid to late march)?

Hope someone can help! Thanks in advance....
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Daz you don't need our help! you got this place pretty well sussed
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Oh but I do!!! I love this place! Can't wait to actually get out there and get to a quiz night or something.

D

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Daz you don't need our help! you got this place pretty well sussed
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:11 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Oh but I do!!! I love this place! Can't wait to actually get out there and get to a quiz night or something.

D
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so maybe a quiz night is not the most exciting thing to do in Dubai...but I gotta meet the folks who are helping make it happen.

Originally Posted by MataHari
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Ok so maybe a quiz night is not the most exciting thing to do in Dubai...but I gotta meet the folks who are helping make it happen.
it's the after quiz bit that you need to get an invite to...

MM, xx
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's the after quiz bit that you need to get an invite to...

MM, xx
he may well regret moving .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.