Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 20th 2016, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Monkeyguzzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to click on the thread.

I am a primary school teacher in the UK (Wales to be specific) with 4 years experience of Year 2 in the Foundation Phase (FP goes from Nursery to Year 2)

Although life is good here in the UK, I have always had a hankering for taking my profession to another country. Teaching in the Middle East has always been at the back of my mind.
I won't ask the usual questions like 'how much can I expect to earn?' etc.

I do have a girlfriend and she has a daughter from a previous relationship. Will that damage my chances of getting a teaching job in the Middle East? Will my girlfriend and her daughter be able to come with me if I were to be successful in getting a job etc?

Thank you greatly in advance.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 3:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your girlfriend won't be able to take her child out of the UK to live without the explicit permission of the child's father, or a court order. .... Having "sole custody" is not sufficient.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your girlfriend won't be able to take her child out of the UK to live without the explicit permission of the child's father, or a court order. .... Having "sole custody" is not sufficient.
I forgot to add, that will be taken care of, he has given permission if we were to ever move abroad.

I am just curious whether the authorities would allow us to come out together seeing as we are not married.
Would we be allowed to live together?

Thank you for your prompt response.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

A. It's illegal to cohabit outside marriage (plenty do, but not with children involved).

B. As you are not married, you are not able to sponsor your partner or her child and they need the sponsorship to be able to live in the UAE without doing monthly visa runs.

C. Said residency visa is required to have health insurance as well as to enrol child in school.

D. Because you are not married you will get housing suitable for a single person, which will be a 1-bedroom flat, not two bedrooms.

E. School will likely have official policies against allowing unmarried partners/children living with you in the school provided accommodation.

F. Any other benefits the school may offer, such as free school places for children, will not be available as you are not married. British schooling is very expensive otherwise. Ditto with other benefits such as annual flights home and health insurance for the family.

In other words, if you are not prepared to marry your partner, don't even think about it.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:44 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
A. It's illegal to cohabit outside marriage (plenty do, but not with children involved).

B. As you are not married, you are not able to sponsor your partner or her child and they need the sponsorship to be able to live in the UAE without doing monthly visa runs.

C. Said residency visa is required to have health insurance as well as to enrol child in school.

D. Because you are not married you will get housing suitable for a single person, which will be a 1-bedroom flat, not two bedrooms.

E. School will likely have official policies against allowing unmarried partners/children living with you in the school provided accommodation.

F. Any other benefits the school may offer, such as free school places for children, will not be available as you are not married. British schooling is very expensive otherwise. Ditto with other benefits such as annual flights home and health insurance for the family.

In other words, if you are not prepared to marry your partner, don't even think about it.
And if both you and your GF are female, the marriage route isn't an option.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And if both you and your GF are female, the marriage route isn't an option.
That isn't the case but thanks anyway.

I guess the Middle east dream will have to wait a bit longer.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just get married and then expedite the process.

I know from first hand experience the complications of bringing out ( and bringing up!) a step child to Saudi in particular, the processes have already been described briefly for you.

It also depends on why you want to teach in the Middle East in particular - why not the Far East / Australia / South America / China for example? There are plenty of international schools here , all with varying levels of standards, but I believe there is now uniform framework for the these schools known as CIS? Maybe you want to look into that a bit further if you haven't already - it's like a lighter version of OFSTED.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

we have overlooked at a foundation teacher doesn't earn enough to live here with a family. Mrs Monkeyguzzle will need to be put to employment.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkeyguzzle

No dreams here , only smoke and mirrors
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:17 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
No dreams here , only smoke and mirrors
Yes it is not a dream here.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
Can't work this out if it's meant to be sarcasm or not....
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

(It isn't.)
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Have you visited, holiday or done a recce to the 'Middle East'?

Given the replies above, working in the Middle East is not doable until you either marry your GF or you go it alone. Are either one of those a possibility in the near future?

What about somewhere within the EU?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:09 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not being sarcastic. Please do not have illusions or you will be disappointed.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 6:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
It is for many. Many of those from the sub-continent and similar places get a very rough deal, but the majority of Brits enjoy their time in the UAE. Its a long, long way from perfect, and to a large extent, IMHO, epitomises the maxim that life's a shit sandwich, and the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat (and, the better it tastes).

To believe its a dream without understanding it would be naïve; similarly, to dismiss it as a nightmare ignores the fact that very many westerners have a good lifestyle there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.