Reload this Page >

Social life in Riyadh

Social life in Riyadh

Old May 13th 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Warmers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social life in Riyadh

Is that an oxymoron?

I am weighing up a move to Riyadh, which would be just me as there is no way I would take my wife and children out there. I understand that it is much cheaper to live off compound and since my sole purpose in coming is to rack up savings and put my children through university, I would incline to doing that.

Without the instant social life of being in a compound, however, how do people meet other people there? Might sound a daft thing to ask but I'll be new to all this and am not particularly good at the social whirl.

Finally a specific one: Are there any cricket clubs out there?

Any tips much appreciated.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Social life in Riyadh

You will meet people through work and then friends of friends. Make friends with people in a compound and get invites
I have seen lots of cricket matches going on at the weekends among the Indian / Paki communities but im sure there are clubs for the westerners too.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:17 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warmers
Is that an oxymoron?

I am weighing up a move to Riyadh, which would be just me as there is no way I would take my wife and children out there. I understand that it is much cheaper to live off compound and since my sole purpose in coming is to rack up savings and put my children through university, I would incline to doing that.

Without the instant social life of being in a compound, however, how do people meet other people there? Might sound a daft thing to ask but I'll be new to all this and am not particularly good at the social whirl.

Finally a specific one: Are there any cricket clubs out there?

Any tips much appreciated.
I lived in Riyadh 2001 - 2004 so my comments may be out of date, however -

I wouldn't recommend living outside a compound in Riyadh. Reasons:
1.Security
2.Difficult to mix with people, certainly locals
3.Living on a compound will provide you with a Western lifestyle. Living off compound certainly won't

It would be worth the extra money.

I lived on Al Worood, FAL and Al Hamra compounds

Hope this helps
Old May 18th 2014, 4:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I lived in Riyadh 2001 - 2004 so my comments may be out of date, however -

I wouldn't recommend living outside a compound in Riyadh. Reasons:
1.Security
2.Difficult to mix with people, certainly locals
3.Living on a compound will provide you with a Western lifestyle. Living off compound certainly won't

It would be worth the extra money.

I lived on Al Worood, FAL and Al Hamra compounds

Hope this helps
Disagree with that a bit.
1) Riyadh is a pretty safe place on the whole. The worse thing that is likely to happen to you is getting run over or in a car accident.
2) Bit of a misnomer this, Westerners tend to mix with other Westerners as they have similar things in common. Locals aren't unfriendly.
3) Depends what you mean by a Western lifestyle. If you're a woman then being on a compound has obvious benefits. If you're a man then I don't think it makes that much difference.