Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

So what have you been upto?

So what have you been upto?

Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:37 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So what have you been upto?

Originally Posted by tomelina
Things are okay. I have plenty of time on my hands but no income, no problem as we have substantial savings and I am getting unemployment. Looking for jobs, interviewing and spending time with my son. I am also working out pretty much daily at the gym.
As far as a return to the UK, a number of things have prompted this. I have felt like making a move even before I lost my job, the primary concerns are;
Family, Elina and I are both immigrants and have no family here, this means a restricted social life as we have no babysitter. LA is also very expensive, a house here is $500K and up, then you still might have to pay for private education? With the money we have saved we could put 50% or more down on a house near our family. Most of our freinds have moved away from LA. I'm not knocking the US, I have had my up's and downs here like anywhere, maybe just time for a change? At 40 you think differently to how I did when I came here at 22.
Hey Tom.

I am sorry to hear bout your job, but I am glad to hear that you seem to be taking it fairly well... On the upside, as you said, you are getting to spend more time with your son, which can only be a good thing.

You make a convincing argument there bout LA and it cartainly does sound like you are ready for a change, if I do say so myself. I guess everyone reaches that point at some stage or another when the best thing to do is look for a change of scene. Dont let my humble attempt at advice cloud your decisions, but might I suggest a family holiday? Perhaps somewhere in the U.S? Would help to clear your mind and help you to see things more clearly.

Age really shouldnt be a factor, mate. Your 40 and I'm 23... I know we have a different mind set when it comes to thinking, but as long as you have your head scewed on tightly, you will never go wrong.

Well thats my rant over.....

You know if you are ever inthis neck of the woods, our lot would be more than happy to show u a good time in our humble LA wannabe town.

Take care and keep in touch.

Cheers,
F.

Last edited by Face81; Jun 18th 2005 at 7:39 am.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:54 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Hey Tom.

I am sorry to hear bout your job, but I am glad to hear that you seem to be taking it fairly well... On the upside, as you said, you are getting to spend more time with your son, which can only be a good thing.

You make a convincing argument there bout LA and it cartainly does sound like you are ready for a change, if I do say so myself. I guess everyone reaches that point at some stage or another when the best thing to do is look for a change of scene. Dont let my humble attempt at advice cloud your decisions, but might I suggest a family holiday? Perhaps somewhere in the U.S? Would help to clear your mind and help you to see things more clearly.

Age really shouldnt be a factor, mate. Your 40 and I'm 23... I know we have a different mind set when it comes to thinking, but as long as you have your head scewed on tightly, you will never go wrong.

You know if you are ever inthis neck of the woods, our lot would be more than happy to show u a good time in our humble LA wannabe town.

Cheers,
F.
Hi Face,
I have been busy in Saudi.
I hate my job and am thinking of going back to the UK for a while, maybe 4 months or so.

Miss my little girl sooo much.

Love Dubai, but im spending more time away from Dubai at the mo, and the company are being arseholes.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:04 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Hi Face,
I have been busy in Saudi.
I hate my job and am thinking of going back to the UK for a while, maybe 4 months or so.

Miss my little girl sooo much.

Love Dubai, but im spending more time away from Dubai at the mo, and the company are being arseholes.

Hello Mr. JD!

Nice to hear from u.

It really does sound like you have been given a pretty bad deal with your firm..... keeping u in Saudi all the time musnt be very nice.... i know u would rather be in Dubai.

So if u go back to the UK for a while, will u end up coing back to Dubai on a new job, or are u going to set up your own business?
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:07 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mr. JD!

Nice to hear from u.

It really does sound like you have been given a pretty bad deal with your firm..... keeping u in Saudi all the time musnt be very nice.... i know u would rather be in Dubai.

So if u go back to the UK for a while, will u end up coing back to Dubai on a new job, or are u going to set up your own business?
In the process of setting up a new business.....Inshallah
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:13 am
The Oracle

Thats the spirit!

I am sure u will do well!

So where are u now? back in DXB or toiling in KSA?
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:18 am
Up in the air

Thats the spirit!

I am sure u will do well!

So where are u now? back in DXB or toiling in KSA?
DXB.
Just about to go back to the apartment, The One have turned up to deliver some furniture.

can u call me on me mobile in 5 mins.
Cheers!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:22 am
The Oracle

DXB.
Just about to go back to the apartment, The One have turned up to deliver some furniture.

can u call me on me mobile in 5 mins.
Cheers!
cool! U have been shopping for furniture at a very upmarket store. Well done. lol

No probs..... gimme 5 mins and I'll ring ya.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:38 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

good luck ...
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

cool. Hope u have a gr8 trip Nov...... dont 4get to send us a post card.
I still will have a look here now and again ... but won't be spending much time on here. Obviously i will have better things to do than vegetate in front of the PC ...
Old Jun 18th 2005, 2:42 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Tom.

Cheers,
F.
Thanks Face. Just got back from a vacation to see the folks. I am also thinking about going to Hawaii if I get a good deal.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:18 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by novita77
I still will have a look here now and again ... but won't be spending much time on here. Obviously i will have better things to do than vegetate in front of the PC ...
u leave the vegetating to us Nov!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:22 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by lionheart
Thanks Face. Just got back from a vacation to see the folks. I am also thinking about going to Hawaii if I get a good deal.
Thats the spirit! Great new user name btw.

Am off to Atlanta for about 12 days in August myself and am trying to work out if I can make it upto Vanvouver to visit a mate of mine for about 5 days....

Summer holidays are the best!

PS - I hear Wai-kiki is a good place to visit.

Last edited by Face81; Jun 19th 2005 at 8:37 am.