Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

So... the Metro...

So... the Metro...

Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:33 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default So... the Metro...

...is it actually going to be as useful as we keep being told?

If you live in a building which is directly next door to a Metro station, and if you also work in a building that's directly next door to a Metro station, then I can see it being a definite advantage. But for anyone else (i.e. most people in Dubai), how is it going to be useful, especially during the summer?

The map has station names like Jumeirah Lake Towers and Marina... but are there going to be air-conditioned walkways running from *every* JLT building and every Marina building to the station? Or will the stations all have large car parks? If you live in (say) JLT but your building is more than about 30 seconds' walk from the Metro station, then you ain't gonna be using it in summer.

Anyone got the skinny?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... the Metro...

Originally Posted by GarethR
...is it actually going to be as useful as we keep being told?

If you live in a building which is directly next door to a Metro station, and if you also work in a building that's directly next door to a Metro station, then I can see it being a definite advantage. But for anyone else (i.e. most people in Dubai), how is it going to be useful, especially during the summer?

The map has station names like Jumeirah Lake Towers and Marina... but are there going to be air-conditioned walkways running from *every* JLT building and every Marina building to the station? Or will the stations all have large car parks? If you live in (say) JLT but your building is more than about 30 seconds' walk from the Metro station, then you ain't gonna be using it in summer.

Anyone got the skinny?
don't have the skinny...but completely agree with you, was thinking the same the other day. Why would you bother using it if you've got to drive to the station anyway...and where will all these carparks go? guess for people who use the bus normally then it will make no difference having to walk to the station. Dunno...i'm not convinced by it. Ohh, and the bit by MOE seems hellishly close to the ramp...!!!

MM, xx
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
don't have the skinny...but completely agree with you, was thinking the same the other day. Why would you bother using it if you've got to drive to the station anyway...and where will all these carparks go? guess for people who use the bus normally then it will make no difference having to walk to the station. Dunno...i'm not convinced by it. Ohh, and the bit by MOE seems hellishly close to the ramp...!!!

MM, xx
Apparently they have figured out that the trains in the UK are so eco-unfriendly that you are better off driving to work in London, even tho it takes twice as long and you gotta pay a congestion charge. The tubes are also eco-friendly, except when they are either flooded or when the privatised maintenance company goes bust.....

Dubai does not have a monopoly on corporate stupidity - it is a global phenomenum.....
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Apparently they have figured out that the trains in the UK are so eco-unfriendly that you are better off driving to work in London, even tho it takes twice as long and you gotta pay a congestion charge. The tubes are also eco-friendly, except when they are either flooded or when the privatised maintenance company goes bust.....

Dubai does not have a monopoly on corporate stupidity - it is a global phenomenum.....
where'd you read that mate? that's news to me.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
where'd you read that mate? that's news to me.
The Times last week!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:37 am
W10

I actually think the Metro will be good. The unmanned bit worries me though

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I do like the idea of it and I am currently living right near a station. That said, it will fail if there are no carparks near the stations (no space for one here) or plenty of taxis. And why are the stations so badly named. The one called Burj Al Arab is actually by the Gold & Diamond Park.

I've heard that there will be 2 classes of seats too.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

The DLR (Docklands Light Railway) is unmanned, as I recall & that works well. I was always amused to see middle aged blokes dashing up to the front seats so they could pretend to be a train driver!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:42 am
W10

There will, but thats just typical Dubai.

I don't live that near a station but even in the summer a 15 min walk isn't going to kill me on a night out on the other side of town.

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:43 am
W10

Originally Posted by Meow
The DLR (Docklands Light Railway) is unmanned, as I recall & that works well. I was always amused to see middle aged blokes dashing up to the front seats so they could pretend to be a train driver!
Yeah...but this is Dubai :-)

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
on a night out
will they run late then?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

they will run on AST (arab standard time) so they'll be about an hour late...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:55 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cham128
they will run on AST (arab standard time) so they'll be about an hour late...
Am I just being blonde..... but it looks like its only big enough to run one way....
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
Am I just being blonde..... but it looks like its only big enough to run one way....
PMSL! I thought that too but was too frightened to ask anyone! It was like the one Twinkle asked, how are they going to get the crane off the top of the Burj Tower
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:07 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
PMSL! I thought that too but was too frightened to ask anyone! It was like the one Twinkle asked, how are they going to get the crane off the top of the Burj Tower

Ha ha - the crane issue has been bothering me too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.