British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Skype - it won't work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/skype-wont-work-560061/)

CeeBee Sep 7th 2008 2:20 pm

Skype - it won't work

Can anyone help??

I've got it loaded on, got credit etc but it won't make calls!!!!!! Well annoying.

I'm on Du and live in JBR. I know other folks that can get it to work tho.

Inselaffen Sep 7th 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Skype - it won't work

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6758667)
Can anyone help??

I've got it loaded on, got credit etc but it won't make calls!!!!!! Well annoying.

vpn!
or try updating your version of skype

Bob Sep 8th 2008 12:49 am

net to net ain't a problem, the problem tends to be net to phone, where you'll need VPN fun..

CeeBee Sep 8th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6759980)
net to net ain't a problem, the problem tends to be net to phone, where you'll need VPN fun..

Yeah i've checked, updated, whatever. Looks like i'll have to dig deep for a VPN.

Bloody internet police.

Welivehere Sep 8th 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6760364)
Looks like i'll have to dig deep for a VPN.

VPN

As long as you have an IQ higher than a pot plant it's a doddle to install.

Chesney Hawkes Sep 8th 2008 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6758667)
Can anyone help??

Ceebee,

Get yourself onto Google and search for, I think it's called, Hotspot Shield Anchor Free. On the website you'll be able to download it and the icon will appear on your desktop. Once you get it fired up you'll be able to call landlines from your Skype - we had the same problem until a week ago!!

You can have that one for free,

Ches

ninja2101 Oct 16th 2008 5:58 am

Yeah, then before you open up Skype, just activate your hotspot shield and away you go! I just got it all sorted yesterday and we're with Etiasalat. Yipeeeee!!!!

Sandboy Oct 16th 2008 6:31 am

are you using Vista ? lots of problems with that after 2 years trouble free with XP

andrewpops Oct 16th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes (Post 6760983)
Ceebee,

Get yourself onto Google and search for, I think it's called, Hotspot Shield Anchor Free. On the website you'll be able to download it and the icon will appear on your desktop. Once you get it fired up you'll be able to call landlines from your Skype - we had the same problem until a week ago!!

You can have that one for free,

Ches

Hotspot Shield website is now blocked by Etisalat - happened in the last couple of weeks - it was too good to last.

andrewpops Oct 16th 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by andrewpops (Post 6880481)
Hotspot Shield website is now blocked by Etisalat - happened in the last couple of weeks - it was too good to last.

Edit: Hotspot Shield is blocked, Anchor Free is not.

Anchor Free have a bandwidth cap of a couple of GB's per month, if you are heavy user of VOIP (Skype etc) or Bittorrent, this may be an issue.

Cry haddock Oct 16th 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by andrewpops (Post 6881318)
Edit: Hotspot Shield is blocked, Anchor Free is not.

Anchor Free have a bandwidth cap of a couple of GB's per month, if you are heavy user of VOIP (Skype etc) or Bittorrent, this may be an issue.

If you're not careful Anchor free/HSS brings lots of intrusive software with it. The more bandwidth you use the more intrusive it gets - to the point where after a year or so it starts forcing you to browse their own websites more and more each day. Annoyed me to the point that I dumped it and stumped up for some fairly priced, non-malware proper VPN software.
All the other VPNs will get blocked too if their names keep appearing on public forums.
CH

RickinDubai Oct 16th 2008 2:13 pm

I had to buy a VPN for around $40 before I could use Skype successfully with Etisalat as my provider. Type VPN into Google and there are quite a few options.

The VPN bypasses the Etisalat filters designed to block VOIP and so further increase their profits.

Who says Dubai is tax free?

andrewpops Oct 19th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by RickinDubai (Post 6881739)
I had to buy a VPN for around $40 before I could use Skype successfully with Etisalat as my provider. Type VPN into Google and there are quite a few options.

The VPN bypasses the Etisalat filters designed to block VOIP and so further increase their profits.

Who says Dubai is tax free?

There are no taxes in UAE, only fees....