Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Skype - it won't work

Skype - it won't work

Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Skype - it won't work

Can anyone help??

I've got it loaded on, got credit etc but it won't make calls!!!!!! Well annoying.

I'm on Du and live in JBR. I know other folks that can get it to work tho.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype - it won't work

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Can anyone help??

I've got it loaded on, got credit etc but it won't make calls!!!!!! Well annoying.

vpn!
or try updating your version of skype
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

net to net ain't a problem, the problem tends to be net to phone, where you'll need VPN fun..
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
net to net ain't a problem, the problem tends to be net to phone, where you'll need VPN fun..
Yeah i've checked, updated, whatever. Looks like i'll have to dig deep for a VPN.

Bloody internet police.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:50 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like i'll have to dig deep for a VPN.
VPN

As long as you have an IQ higher than a pot plant it's a doddle to install.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Can anyone help??

Ceebee,

Get yourself onto Google and search for, I think it's called, Hotspot Shield Anchor Free. On the website you'll be able to download it and the icon will appear on your desktop. Once you get it fired up you'll be able to call landlines from your Skype - we had the same problem until a week ago!!

You can have that one for free,

Ches
Old Oct 16th 2008, 5:58 am
Just Joined

ninja2101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, then before you open up Skype, just activate your hotspot shield and away you go! I just got it all sorted yesterday and we're with Etiasalat. Yipeeeee!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

are you using Vista ? lots of problems with that after 2 years trouble free with XP
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
Ceebee,

Get yourself onto Google and search for, I think it's called, Hotspot Shield Anchor Free. On the website you'll be able to download it and the icon will appear on your desktop. Once you get it fired up you'll be able to call landlines from your Skype - we had the same problem until a week ago!!

You can have that one for free,

Ches
Hotspot Shield website is now blocked by Etisalat - happened in the last couple of weeks - it was too good to last.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Hotspot Shield website is now blocked by Etisalat - happened in the last couple of weeks - it was too good to last.
Edit: Hotspot Shield is blocked, Anchor Free is not.

Anchor Free have a bandwidth cap of a couple of GB's per month, if you are heavy user of VOIP (Skype etc) or Bittorrent, this may be an issue.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Edit: Hotspot Shield is blocked, Anchor Free is not.

Anchor Free have a bandwidth cap of a couple of GB's per month, if you are heavy user of VOIP (Skype etc) or Bittorrent, this may be an issue.
If you're not careful Anchor free/HSS brings lots of intrusive software with it. The more bandwidth you use the more intrusive it gets - to the point where after a year or so it starts forcing you to browse their own websites more and more each day. Annoyed me to the point that I dumped it and stumped up for some fairly priced, non-malware proper VPN software.
All the other VPNs will get blocked too if their names keep appearing on public forums.
CH
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

RickinDubai is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to buy a VPN for around $40 before I could use Skype successfully with Etisalat as my provider. Type VPN into Google and there are quite a few options.

The VPN bypasses the Etisalat filters designed to block VOIP and so further increase their profits.

Who says Dubai is tax free?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RickinDubai
I had to buy a VPN for around $40 before I could use Skype successfully with Etisalat as my provider. Type VPN into Google and there are quite a few options.

The VPN bypasses the Etisalat filters designed to block VOIP and so further increase their profits.

Who says Dubai is tax free?
There are no taxes in UAE, only fees....