Skype in Dubai

Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Bill Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skype in Dubai

Just checking on the Skype situation in Dubai. It seems largely unavailable but has anyone had success using it with a IP Proxy?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Skype in Dubai

Originally Posted by DubaiWills
Just checking on the Skype situation in Dubai. It seems largely unavailable but has anyone had success using it with a IP Proxy?
Skype can be used in Dubai no problem... you just have to download the software prior to arriving.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that - it is something I had heard whispers about.

Is there any way of getting it whilst living there if is not already downloaded onto the computer?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Not sure about that... i had a tip off before i left the uk and so just downloaded the software beforehand. Im sure if you get hold of a british VPN you could do it but i leave that to a more techie person to comment on.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Might be difficult - the VPN which you sign up with often gives you an online link to follow, so if you try doing it through someone else's already VPN'd machine there may be a problem, as it'll want to install on that particular machine.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

If you are on Du, you can access the Skype website, download the software, manage your account (buy Skype credit etc) and make Skype-to-Skype calls without a VPN. You only need a VPN to make Skype-to-phone calls.

It should be the same on Etisalat...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys - that is helpful.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:49 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DubaiWills
Thanks for that - it is something I had heard whispers about.

Is there any way of getting it whilst living there if is not already downloaded onto the computer?
Use a vpn, lots about i use www.***************** and also you can watch good ol' british TV on your laptop as well...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:05 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

It has been working fine for us up until Sunday, not been able to get a stable connection since then.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:45 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to download (upload?) it in Dubai. Many of the laptops for sale have them pre-installed.

Ours had to be re-installed last week so we gave it to a pc guru we know who did it for us.

I think if you try it on etisalat, it wont allow you to.

Like a previous poster said, another option is to download it in UK first.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It has been working fine for us up until Sunday, not been able to get a stable connection since then.
Is it just me or is anyone elses skype down.............?
NL - did you get your connection back?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lehoff
Ditto. I keep getting a 'limited connection' which is complete tripe as there's nothing wrong. Only skype.

I think the internet / thought police have done something. Fascists.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:23 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lehoff
It varies, some days it is fine, others it is unusable.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

GingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really nice

yes I'm in a Du area and the last week its been scrambled - apparently they are testing out new software prior to offering their own paid VOIP - SKype equivilant

VPN is now really the only option
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GingerWizard
yes I'm in a Du area and the last week its been scrambled - apparently they are testing out new software prior to offering their own paid VOIP - SKype equivilant

VPN is now really the only option
Hmmm.... you say that but i already run a VPN over the top of my Du network and yet its still scrambled my skype whether im running it or not. Should i be doing something different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.