British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Skype (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/skype-691577/)

kittycat1 Oct 30th 2010 7:00 pm

So skype appears to be scrambled in the UAE now? Does anyone know whats going on with it and whether its going onto the haram list?

Autonomy Oct 30th 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Skype

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8952059)
So skype appears to be scrambled in the UAE now? Does anyone know whats going on with it and whether its going onto the haram list?

it's always been banned - not sure how they can mess with it though as it uses VPN type connections...?

commander Oct 31st 2010 5:07 am

mine works fine..

Tillybean Oct 31st 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8952059)

Used mine last night with no problem.

Bigtaff Oct 31st 2010 7:47 am

Are you with Du or Etisalat kitty? I had trouble last night at GF's place on Skype through laptop but was crystal clear using Skype iPhone app. Works fine at my apartment on Du on laptop and iPhone.

Du, apparently, are due to launch their own VoIP software (chargeable, of course) shortly - probably why they are now tinkering, if they are. Shut down the competition and then launch your own product :)

Max the Dog Oct 31st 2010 8:44 am

I use a trusty (paid) UK VPN which works well on PC, but configured it on MAC and does not work at all??? Therefore the I phone skype does not work, or at best very badly.
I am on DU :confused:

kittycat1 Oct 31st 2010 12:57 pm

I've spoken to several people at work and they all seem to be having problems with it. How do you get a UK VPN?

Bigtaff Oct 31st 2010 1:04 pm

PM you the details now...

twisty100 Oct 31st 2010 4:30 pm

No problem with mine, i'm using www.***************** for my VPN, all good.

Bigtaff Oct 31st 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8953272)

Mate, either you're tying to promote this website or you won't take telling! If you post these VPNs publicly then it aids the people that block us from browsing in the first place to then block access to this website too! Do a search on google for VPN and see how many of the suggested websites you can actually visit without being blocked. Not many I would imagine......

hnd Oct 31st 2010 8:40 pm

twisty, I'm with bigtaff on this ... haven't you bothered to read the rest of this thread? Numptie:thumbdown:

Geo79 Nov 1st 2010 5:29 pm

I'm in Saudi. Can someone recommend by way of a PM a VPN for me so that I can watch BBC iplayer?

Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" with VPN services?

Thanks

Bigtaff Nov 1st 2010 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Geo79 (Post 8955185)
I'm in Saudi. Can someone recommend by way of a PM a VPN for me so that I can watch BBC iplayer?

Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" with VPN services?

Thanks

I would imagine it's the same as Internet supply where every server can handle so many connections and the less connections allowed to the server, the faster the service on offer per user. Don't forget, you will lose a fair bit of your bandwidth because you will be connecting to the UK and then browsing so that data that you're requesting has to travel a fair distance!!

Geo79 Nov 1st 2010 6:51 pm

OK thanks Bigtaff. Can you PM and give me your recommendation as to which service provider to use?

CeeBee Nov 2nd 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8953272)

Blocked!