Skype?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Daisy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skype?

My husband has just moved to Dubai and we were happily using Skype until it suddenly stopped working. He has heard it's not allowed to be used is this true?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:55 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype?

Originally Posted by Daisy92
My husband has just moved to Dubai and we were happily using Skype until it suddenly stopped working. He has heard it's not allowed to be used is this true?
Yes it's true. Google is your friend.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Can google be used like skype? How?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:02 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Can google be used like skype? How?
Put "dubai skype" into Google and see what comes up
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, will have a read.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, will have a read.
I'll be helpful... get a VPN (costs about 2 quid a month) and you are away. If you buy one based out of the UK you can also watch english telly on iplayer
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks EM,

I have had a brief look inbetween working. So I should purchase one which is NOT UK based so we can use iplayer etc. Would we need a VPN to use facebook and Twitter etc?

Are all VPN's much of a muchness or are some better than others? This is a whole new territory for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks EM,

I have had a brief look inbetween working. So I should purchase one which is NOT UK based so we can use iplayer etc. Would we need a VPN to use facebook and Twitter etc?

Are all VPN's much of a muchness or are some better than others? This is a whole new territory for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Yup, they are pretty much all the same. You will find most are US based (the cheaper ones) which means no iplayer.

So to be clear if you want to see iplayer then you need a UK based VPN.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:56 am
Down and out

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Yup, they are pretty much all the same. You will find most are US based (the cheaper ones) which means no iplayer.

So to be clear if you want to see iplayer then you need a UK based VPN.
Daisy - a quick explanation for you.

A VPN (virtual private network) is a type of link between your computer and another computer somewhere else which is encrypted ie. the signal is not readable by anyone else, and so it cannot be blocked as being 'inappropriate'.

Your husband would be best to buy a subscription from a provider to a VPN where the other end of the connection is in the UK if he also wants to use BBC iPlayer but otherwise, ie. if just for skype or other reasons, it really doesn't make much difference if US or UK at the other end - you'll see which country the other end of the connection is will be called eg. a 'UK IP address' for the UK

The names I gave you on pm are both reliable providers but their own sites are blocked in the UAE so you can subscribe form home and then email your husband the connection details they provide for you.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Noha is an unknown quantity at this point

You can use skype and everything else which is "blocked" in the UAE if you first install Hotspot Shield.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noha
You can use skype and everything else which is "blocked" in the UAE if you first install Hotspot Shield.
So now everyone knows, including those who block sites from being used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
So now everyone knows, including those who block sites from being used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
come on... they know already. The local guy in our team insisted that IT install hotspot shield on his laptop to get through the company and etishite proxies!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
come on... they know already. The local guy in our team insisted that IT install hotspot shield on his laptop to get through the company and etishite proxies!
Sure, was only repeating the usual cry!!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

OneBrightStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Sure, was only repeating the usual cry!!
Sorry not really helping OP but could someone send me details of reliable UK VPN provider and hotspot shield please?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SiD77
Sorry not really helping OP but could someone send me details of reliable UK VPN provider and hotspot shield please?

Thanks
http://tinyurl.com/dc8gbg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.