Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Single Mum in Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait?

Single Mum in Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Simi2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Single Mum in Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait?

Hi, I'm looking at some teaching *************/Qatar/Kuwait and just wondered if it is a pipe dream because I'm a single mum (British Indian) -how would it be perceived out there and would I have problems getting around on a day to day basis?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Mum in Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait?

Originally Posted by Simi2001
Hi, I'm looking at some teaching *************/Qatar/Kuwait and just wondered if it is a pipe dream because I'm a single mum (British Indian) -how would it be perceived out there and would I have problems getting around on a day to day basis?

Thanks in advance for your help
hi Simi, that depends on what package you are being offered, if you are divorced and have ex husbands consent? and if they are prepared to educate your daughter for free and how old is she?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
hi Simi, that depends on what package you are being offered, if you are divorced and have ex husbands consent? and if they are prepared to educate your daughter for free and how old is she?
Still waiting on offer/package details but one of the attractions is free education for my child. I was never married and the father chose not to be part of our life.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simi2001
Still waiting on offer/package details but one of the attractions is free education for my child. I was never married and the father chose not to be part of our life.
there is your first problem, you had a child out of wedlock. Speak to the school but I doubt you will be able to sponsor her.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simi,

To echo BC, you can only sponsor your child if you obtain a No Objection Certificate from the father addressed to the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department. Maybe it's worth locating him and getting him to sign this?

You have to be employed with a basic salary of at least 15,000 AED

If you don't have either of these things you would need to submit a private application to the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department explaining the situation and why you cannot provide the above.

Good luck!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
Hi Simi,

To echo BC, you can only sponsor your child if you obtain a No Objection Certificate from the father addressed to the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department. Maybe it's worth locating him and getting him to sign this?

You have to be employed with a basic salary of at least 15,000 AED

If you don't have either of these things you would need to submit a private application to the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department explaining the situation and why you cannot provide the above.

Good luck!
What if the father is dead??? My friend sponsors her daughter, not spoken to the father for years, told immigration he was dead, not very nice, but.... told them she had no contact with his family and couldn't get a death certificate, they accepted it. EE there are ways around most things in the UAE. Our sec sponsors her daughter and she earns 10,000, i may be wrong but i believe it is 7,000 to sponsor a family/son/daughter and 15,000 to sponsor a maid
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annacarna
What if the father is dead??? My friend sponsors her daughter, not spoken to the father for years, told immigration he was dead, not very nice, but.... told them she had no contact with his family and couldn't get a death certificate, they accepted it. EE there are ways around most things in the UAE. Our sec sponsors her daughter and she earns 10,000, i may be wrong but i believe it is 7,000 to sponsor a family/son/daughter and 15,000 to sponsor a maid
Hi AC,

It's actually 10,000 AED including housing allowance. Somebody told me it was increasing to 15,000, but I'm not sure about this.

I'm not sure about lying about the whereabouts of the father, because they will request a divorce or death certificate or sole custody paperwork that is also attested. But if a way around can be found, why not?

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:12 am. Reason: Confirmed something!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AC,

Apparently it's changing to 15,000 AED, or so I was told.

I'm not sure about lying about the whereabouts of the father, because I would have thought they would request a death certificate or at least some sort of record? But if a way around can be found, why not?
Hey EE,

No official policy has been set, at the moment it is 4,000 to sponsor yr family, trust me several of my company employees sponsor their families and they are certainly not earning anywhere near 10,000 plus accom

There was a recent newspaper article that stated it would rise to 7,000 to sponsor a family and 15.000 for a maid....

As I stated in my post, they did indeed request a death cert but she bluffed and said she had no contact with his family, most of the time immigration just cant be bothered, as long as you earn above the needed limit.

The law states that only teachers, doctors and nurses can sponsor their children but lots of women out here sponsor their kids who are not of those professions
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Hey EE,

No official policy has been set, at the moment it is 4,000 to sponsor yr family, trust me several of my company employees sponsor their families and they are certainly not earning anywhere near 10,000 plus accom

There was a recent newspaper article that stated it would rise to 7,000 to sponsor a family and 15.000 for a maid....

As I stated in my post, they did indeed request a death cert but she bluffed and said she had no contact with his family, most of the time immigration just cant be bothered, as long as you earn above the needed limit.

The law states that only teachers, doctors and nurses can sponsor their children but lots of women out here sponsor their kids who are not of those professions
This is one of a number of articles referring to a proposed increase of the minimum salary to 10,000 AED.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10268756.html

I don't think I would recommend bluffing/lying, as it could backfire badly when a company starts to do the background checks etc. In particular falsifying any kind of documents would result in a jail term. But then I guess it depends on how much a person is willing to risk to work here.

And by the way, the law that you are referring to regarding teachers, doctors and nurses only relates to Abu Dhabi, not Dubai.

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:50 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

This is one of a number of articles referring to a proposed increase of the minimum salary to 10,000 AED.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10268756.html

I don't think I would recommend bluffing/lying, as it could backfire badly when a company starts to do the background checks etc. In particular falsifying any kind of documents would result in a jail term. But then I guess it depends on how much a person is willing to risk to work here.

And by the way, the law that you are referring to regarding teachers, doctors and nurses only relates to Abu Dhabi, not Dubai.
They are newspaper articles???? Not official, like all the rest of the crap newspaper articles, come on.....

EE you haven't been here long enough to know the low down on the system here, give yourself a few more years to really know what goes on here both officially and unofficially
As i said there are solutions and ways around a lot of things here..... people like Squirty, Commander and long time residents will tell you, make yr eyes water
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:17 am
Account Closed

They are newspaper articles???? Not official, like all the rest of the crap newspaper articles, come on.....

EE you haven't been here long enough to know the low down on the system here, give yourself a few more years to really know what goes on here both officially and unofficially
As i said there are solutions and ways around a lot of things here..... people like Squirty, Commander and long time residents will tell you, make yr eyes water
There are quite a few news sources reporting on the increase, so yes, I would say it's not completely false, unless you actually want to bury your head in the sand? Just to clarify again in case you're confused it's a proposed increase, not a confirmed increase.

Thanks for the advice sweetie, but even though I have only lived here for a year and a half, I think I would still refrain from lying and falsifying facts particularly for visa purposes.

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Feb 2nd 2009 at 10:29 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:31 am
Concierge

Commander? he aint been here that long?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

There are quite a few news sources reporting on the increase, so yes, I would say it's not completely false, unless you actually want to bury your head in the sand? Just to clarify again in case you're confused it's a proposed increase, not a confirmed increase.

Thanks for the advice sweetie, but even though I have only lived here for a year and a half, I think I would still refrain from lying and falsifying facts particularly for visa purposes.
Sweetie? I wasn't given you advice, just a reality check

What like the ID fiasco, cars over a certain age not being registered and oh and the latest that villa sharing is allowed . All of those were announced and un announced and the drama and misinformation goes on and policies made and then changed and ignored!

A year and a half and you know the UAE, sorry EE, you are being unrealistic, I have been here 11 years and still learn new idiocies every day and i am sure the rest of the forum can vouch for this.

As for lying and falsifying. lol. this is what the country is built on
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Commander? he aint been here that long?
Naughty
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Single Mum in Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait?

Thanks for all the replies - you have sort of confirmed what I thought - but like many places in this world there are workarounds

When I travelled to Kenya last year (all be it on holiday) the paperwork stated that I needed to produce evidence of sole custody but I didn't have anything because its never been an issue here. I had no problems on entry - I guess they were more interested in my spending power (cynical I know!). I'm hoping the same will be true if I move to ME - there is a need for teachers and I have that service to offer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.