Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

single mother in dubai

single mother in dubai

Old Aug 28th 2003, 9:30 am
Just Joined

dawn74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single mother in dubai

I am a single working mother in London and would like to go to Dubai to live.

I am presently working in the media industry, although I also have spent many years in the travel industry I feel confident that I could find work. However, I am also a freestyle and salsa dance teacher and would like to pursue this career in Dubai.

Could anyone tell me if there is such a market for Dance in Dubai and if you can advise any companies that I could approach or would it be wiser to go freelance.

Also as a single mother I am very concerned with the schooling and fees... could anyone recommend any schools that would be appropiate for my 4 year old son.

Many Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Expatwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I am a mother of 3 (all under 4) and lived in Dubai for 3 years but left 6 months ago to live in Papua New Guinea, so i can give you a little input. Working normally you need a sponsor usually as a married couple spouses sponsor your (wife and children)residency visa, and employers sponsor their work and residency vias. So having a job before you arrive with viasas sorted out first is more beneficial when being a single Mum. Media and Internet city is a huge complex designed for Media conpanies, i know the CEO if you need a contact. Not being Muslim and a woman has its disadvantages, a friend of mine (cohabiting which is illegal with her boyfriend) had to wait 8 months to get a job. Schools are good but very expensive (Nursery for a term was 2000 DHS which is about 300-400 pounds). There are salsa classes in Dubai when I was there usually run at the Ballet centre. Have a look at Dubai Time Out magazine on the web, this tells you what goes on places to visit and other good stuff. The Gulf news and Khalij Times are also on the web. Expatmom.com is also run by a mother in Dubai. Any other info send me an email or post your reply.
Helen