Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Single Female 31 - Uk moving to Doha... maybe

Single Female 31 - Uk moving to Doha... maybe

Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

LT00170 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Female 31 - Uk moving to Doha... maybe

Looking for any advice, i am 31, have been offered a job in Doha and know no one out there.
Only have a few weeks to decide and have no clue what to expect.
Am i able to go out? Is it easy to meet people?
What are the rules, lol?
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Female 31 - Uk moving to Doha... maybe

Originally Posted by LT00170
Looking for any advice, i am 31, have been offered a job in Doha and know no one out there.
Only have a few weeks to decide and have no clue what to expect.
Am i able to go out? Is it easy to meet people?
What are the rules, lol?
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura
Look through the threads on this site and do some research , buy the explorer book on Qatar and have a look at that .

Qatar is an easy Gulf destination for expats and yes you can go out get pissed and meet people and yes there's shit loads of rules but only enforced when you break them .

If you have no clue what to expect then it will be like Dante's Inferno on acid !
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura

I'm a 35 year old single female in Doha - I got here just over a month ago. I have met a few decent people. Its relatively easy to meet people if you get out there and do it. I'll be happy to meet up with you when you get here as will a few of the other guys on here i'm sure. Depending on the work you do you might find people you work with a good source of things to do. Theres plenty of places to go out in the evenings.

A lot of the women here are here with their husbands and kids so they have loads of activities, coffee mornings etc. I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork frankly. So theres a few single girls and boys who go out together and i'm sure if youre outgouing you will find plenty to do.

Ruyles when it comes to going out - in my opinion are: go out and have fun, get drunk, don't act drunk when outside unless you want to be arrested and don't drink even after one drink, its easy to get into an accident here as there are some real numpties, and then even if you've only had one beer you're buggered.

I don't know about other organisations but the guys i work with are very hierarchical.

hope this helps.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:22 am
Just Joined

hey guys, thanks so much
I don't think that there will be much scope for going out with collegaues.
Thesus that would be great if i could meet you, i am hoping to come out at the end of the month to look at apartments also so maybe we could grab a drink then. Who are the best agents to talk to with regards to propetry?
Thanks again.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Property can be a bit of a pain and others will be more experienced in it. But to my understanding you can't rent a property from a landlord without a Residency Permit. If you are here on a visa i think you're stuck with the serviced apartment type thing. Unless you can find a landlord who will deal direct. The other option is finding someone to share with. My colleague has rented a place with his wife in the Pearl and dealt direct with the landlord, though he had to pay 3 months rent up front. If you've looked around you'll know that rent is not cheap here.

I have a serviced apartment. I still had to give them 12 post dated cheques for the rent though. Some of the more established residences are a bit easier to deal with. The longer the term you can agree to the cheaper it is. If you want to rent something for one month and then move on it will cost a bit extra.

I've PM'd you my email address.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, my company is paying for the apartment so don't need to worry too much but the budget is pretty low.... i think.
Thanks again for all your help. I have pinged you an email and look forward to ctaching up with you soon.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:03 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

You can go into a shared house with no id hassle etc.......

Look on Dubizzle they have plenty of places on there.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much not really wanting to house share though.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT00170
What are the rules, lol?
The only rule I'm aware of is that it is compulsory for girls to put out on the first date here. It takes some getting used to but it's the only way you will fit into local culture.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Millhouse, I can see me having very quiet nights in indeed.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:33 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Millhouse's rule only applies if you date someone who is a) over 38, or b) a banker, or c) posts on here. If you perm any 2 from 3 best keep your back to the wall, and if you hit the jackpot and find a guy who scores 3 out of 3 it could be heaven or it could be hell. Otherwise you're probably quite safe
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:21 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I wonder how many pervey pms the op has had so far...
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great advice on here. Im moving out to doha soon as well and i too am a young person.

From what ive read on here it aint too bad as long as we keep an open mind and go out and meet people
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

thanks Ryan, when you moving out
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
You can go into a shared house with no id hassle etc.......

Look on Dubizzle they have plenty of places on there.
Dubizzle covers Qatar??

#youlearnsomethingneweveryday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.