Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Setting up in Dubai

Setting up in Dubai

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

mmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nice
Default Setting up in Dubai

Hi every1

As you've prob guessed im new 2 this site and to dubai. Im setting up a business (or should l say trying 2) and am coming up against brick walls one after the other. The general infrastructure here is quite lacking in certain areas not to mention driving sense.

At the moment, l am in need of a tenancy agreement for an office to show in order to finally get my trade licence. The funny thing is l do not need an office at all for my business.

Any advice would be appreciated

Im going out to Rigga Rd to get me a shwarma mmm...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:01 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up in Dubai

As you rightly said in order to get your trade licence you will need a tenancy agreement for office space. Hot desks, virtual office agreement will not suffice unfortunately. If you look in the gulf news classifieds you will see that about the cheapest option will be an office in Karama for about 30k aed per annum. You dont need to use it just have the agreement, a lot of these so called office spaces are just flats that have multiply tennancy agreements on them!
One problem you may encounter is that depending on your licence type you must rent office/trade space in certain designated areas, if your unlucky you will not be able to get a cheap option for your licence.

Its hard to say without knowing more im afraid but talk to the municipality about it as I've always found them very helpful. (ps dont try phone,they never pick up so a visit will be needed)

The other option is that depending on the type of company you are setting up and if you have a local partner you may be able to use their tennancy agreement
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

dstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nicedstress is just really nice

As has already been stated, in order to get a trade license from the Economic Department in Dubai, you will require a lease. The only exception is for Intlaq licenses which are only available to local owners for professional activities. Those licenses allows the business to operate from home with restricted business activities.

Having said that, you might want to check with http://www.rakbusinesscenter.com who I believe with Ras Al Khaimah Free Zone have a special arrangement that allows you to conduct business in Dubai for a lower cost.

Otherwise, setting up a business should be fairly straight forward from DED. For around 320 Dhs, you will have a trade name and an Initial Approval which are used to get approval from DM Planning Section (they are located at DED). The planning section will confirm that the business location is suitable to the business you wish to conduct. Obviously you should not sign the rental agreement before you have the approval. Thereafter, you can finalize your license. Go to www.dubaided.gov.ae to get a cost estimate of gaining a license. Note that you may require additional approvals from other government entities depending on business activities (e.g. Ministry of Information for media related activities, Cargo Village for cargo and shipping activities etc.)

Good Luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

You could have a look at The Small Business Incubator http://www.sbidubai.com which is a group of small business owners that meet on a quarterly basis and share lots of useful information.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

mmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nice

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank every1 for their help and advise. Unfortunately the virtual office idea from RAK business centre is not being accepted by the Economis Development Unit anymore as they have caught on to what it is (a loophole).

The Free Zone to my understanding is not applicable either, as this is for limited business fields.

Thx anyway for all your comments, but it seems i will have to fork out for a 35k office which i have no use for. As my uni lecturer used to say lifes a bitc*