Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Serious matter - your advice please?

Serious matter - your advice please?

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious matter - your advice please?

Originally Posted by maranelloman
I wish laws in the UK were that strict. You can quite literally get away with murder over here.
If I had pressed charges they would have been deported (but I was warned that I'd also have to go to court/station many times - so decided against it). Yes, they take this quite seriously here.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twisty100
Contact Etisalat, I work in the mobile industry and they can stop this. It is likely to be mass spamming i.e. foreign companies (Russia, India etc) find 'holes' in the network and send bulk 'marketing messages' to, not just you, but thousands of subscribers. The messages are likely to come from parties operating outside the UAE and they are trying to get you to call back their number (premium rate) and they basically cream the profit from these inadvertant calls. There really is nothing to owrry about, however, contact Etislat and tell that this is happening as there are applications that they can buy to stop this (I sell them!!).

Hoep this puts your worries to rest.

Twisty
Twisty, thank you for the best response of the lot.

The number it was sent from was a UAE mobile (no attempt to hide that fact), so I'm sure the necessary steps can be taken.

Thank you all but I've decided to be a big brave Hector and sort this out all by my big self......

NOW I ORDER YOU TO END THIS THREAD AND GO AWAY AND TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE INTERESTING OR AMUSING - AND THANKS INDEED TO THOSE WHO POSTED HELPFUL STUFF........

.....AND OF COURSE TO CONFUCIUS WHO RECOMMENDED I JUST DIVE IN AND AVAIL MYSELF OF THE SERVICES ON OFFER.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

NOW I ORDER YOU TO END THIS THREAD AND GO AWAY AND TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE INTERESTING OR AMUSING - AND THANKS INDEED TO THOSE WHO POSTED HELPFUL STUFF........

.....AND OF COURSE TO CONFUCIUS WHO RECOMMENDED I JUST DIVE IN AND AVAIL MYSELF OF THE SERVICES ON OFFER.
OK - no need to shout
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
If I had pressed charges they would have been deported (but I was warned that I'd also have to go to court/station many times - so decided against it). Yes, they take this quite seriously here.
Out of interest where were they from?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

OK - no need to shout
I HAVE to shout, Indie - I tried to 'close' the thread last night and everyone ignored me (and yes, I've heard all the jokes, thanks,. .......).
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Out of interest where were they from?
Pakistan......
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Pakistan......
Well sorry to hear that. Lets hope they have learnt their lesson
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:44 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Dean, the sound you pick up on the radio when your phone is nearby is the system broadcasting to and from the cells to discover how to route calls to and from your phone. Your phone identifies itself and that goes into the system so that it can route a call when one comes in for you. It is a broadcast and your number can be picked up from it. In London you get barraged (?) by them as you gpo through Soho. Once you are clocked then general texts can be sent to you (even from email editors) hence your email.

Advise to tell who you want. It is an assault on your phone number and not on you. The message is marginal, the misuse of data is probably illegal, you have done nothing wrong and you don't have to avail yourself of the service.

What might be interesting is to see what happens if you reply - you either get the whores, or more likely you get a ten pounds a second premium line in central america!!

For all is not what it seems!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dago
Dean, the sound you pick up on the radio when your phone is nearby is the system broadcasting to and from the cells to discover how to route calls to and from your phone. Your phone identifies itself and that goes into the system so that it can route a call when one comes in for you. It is a broadcast and your number can be picked up from it. In London you get barraged (?) by them as you gpo through Soho. Once you are clocked then general texts can be sent to you (even from email editors) hence your email.

Advise to tell who you want. It is an assault on your phone number and not on you. The message is marginal, the misuse of data is probably illegal, you have done nothing wrong and you don't have to avail yourself of the service.

What might be interesting is to see what happens if you reply - you either get the whores, or more likely you get a ten pounds a second premium line in central america!!

For all is not what it seems!!
Dago - the most helpful and informative reply of all.

Had no idea about nearly 95 pct of what you have written.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:37 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Sir, Your use of the pluperfect tense suggests that I have educated you. Pity you have not learned to be polite. That only reflect on you though.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dago
Sir, Your use of the pluperfect tense suggests that I have educated you. Pity you have not learned to be polite. That only reflect on you though.
What do you mean - not polite? God I'm getting some stick round here lately - anyone out there with moral support? (BC? Okto? Conf? Help!)

Let me rephrase.....

Your post was intelligent and informative (I'm writing seriously, not sarcastically). I found about 95% of what you wrote to be new information to me. I thanked you for it.

Most of the other responses were by comparison shallow or unhelpful. And still nobody was able to answer the main question I asked, but at least you explained how the texts arrive. Thank you.

PS: "Had" is not pluperfect - "Had had" is pluperfect. I only omitted the "I" in my original post.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:50 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Dean;5230251]What do you mean - not polite? God I'm getting some stick round here lately - anyone out there with moral support? (BC? Okto? Conf? Help!)

So glad you are not asking me for support...
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=MataHari;5230273]
Originally Posted by The Dean
What do you mean - not polite? God I'm getting some stick round here lately - anyone out there with moral support? (BC? Okto? Conf? Help!)

So glad you are not asking me for support...
My apologies MH - since you say you only noticed me for the first time yesterday, I assume you wouldn't have oiffered it.........?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:14 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MataHari;5230273

So glad you are not asking me for support...[/QUOTE]

Nor me ...
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Nor me ...
outcasts...and proud of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.