Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Secret Dubai - Censorship huh!!

Secret Dubai - Censorship huh!!

Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:54 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Secret Dubai - Censorship huh!!

Hi Secret,

Sorry to see you blog has been blocked, some-one obviously decided it was a little too close to reality. Censorship at it's finest, "we don't don't like what it says (even though it was satirical and often tongue in cheek) so we will BAN IT". :scared:

To be honest I am surprised you haven't been burnt at the stake yet... Is it just you or the whole site affected?

Anyhow, I hope you decide to carry-on somewhere else and would be grateful if you could pm me the link when you do.

Good luck...

Last edited by Welivehere; Jul 18th 2005 at 11:58 am.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:13 pm
W10

Default Re: Secret Dubai - Censorship huh!!

Sadly, as it became more popular, it was only a matter of time.

Can I reveal who you are now SD

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:32 pm
Al Baloshi

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Hi Secret,

Sorry to see you blog has been blocked, some-one obviously decided it was a little too close to reality. Censorship at it's finest, "we don't don't like what it says (even though it was satirical and often tongue in cheek) so we will BAN IT". :scared:

To be honest I am surprised you haven't been burnt at the stake yet... Is it just you or the whole site affected?

Anyhow, I hope you decide to carry-on somewhere else and would be grateful if you could pm me the link when you do.

Good luck...
Dubaisecret was nothing but a bored, lifeless, jobless, jealous tart! All he was doing was posting ONLY negative news and making puss about it!
I Balushi, was banned from this site just because I said a few negative things about you guys! How about that for Censorship?

I can make my blog or whatever and say things about your country and BELIEVE YOU ME it would sound like that your country is worse than any Nazi or Zionist nation.

Welivehere, please go and Livethere! if you have any problems with this Country! Simple. but then he/she was deported atleast you can try and have the courage to leave!

the Eimrates are Proud to say that they don't have any blood in their hands, and this is the country that has provided you what you could never achieve in your perfect home! not in your life time.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:00 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Balushi and welcome back

I have no problem with the country and thoroughly enjoy living here. The issue I found frustrating here was more to do with the hypocrisy of presenting the image of a developing and modern society whilst at the same time censoring people right to express there own opinions about said society.

Originally Posted by Al Baloshi
I can make my blog or whatever and say things about your country and BELIEVE YOU ME it would sound like that your country is worse than any Nazi or Zionist nation
- And thats my point, you should have that right (as should Secret Dubai) and leave people to the choice to read and interpret the writing as they choose.

Personally I did not find Secret's blog that that derogatory about Dubai and believed it was always meant to be taken as satirical and tongue in cheek view of a number of issues that affect us all daily.

To this point I have had no dealing with you in previous post's, however bearing in mind the aggressive tone of the statements in your opening post in this thread I find it a little difficult to believe you were banned
because I said a few negative things
I'm not going to get into a row with you about what Secret believes or doesn't and whether that view is correct, the point I am trying to make is that he/she (?) should be allowed to make the statements and I (as an adult) should be allowed to read it (which I now can't) and then decide as to whether I believe it, disagree with it, laugh at it or just completely ignore it...
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:12 pm
W10

yadda yadda yadda
I hate it here, but I'm going to keep living here just to piss you off

Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Dubaisecret was nothing but a bored, lifeless, jobless, jealous tart! All he was doing was posting ONLY negative news and making puss about it!
I Balushi, was banned from this site just because I said a few negative things about you guys! How about that for Censorship?

I can make my blog or whatever and say things about your country and BELIEVE YOU ME it would sound like that your country is worse than any Nazi or Zionist nation.

Welivehere, please go and Livethere! if you have any problems with this Country! Simple. but then he/she was deported atleast you can try and have the courage to leave!

the Eimrates are Proud to say that they don't have any blood in their hands, and this is the country that has provided you what you could never achieve in your perfect home! not in your life time.
Have you ever heard the statement ''Live and let live''.......
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:03 am
firewire

My blog was also censored. And ironically the posting was about why the British govt is moving to restrict freedom of speech. These are sad times, and we are losing our values...

Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:48 pm
Banned

sophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the rough

Secret - gutted for you about your blog - thank allah i live in emaarville and so can still imbibe... love your perspective - don't let the etisalat proxy bog you down! S x
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophie_springs
Secret - gutted for you about your blog - thank allah i live in emaarville and so can still imbibe... love your perspective - don't let the etisalat proxy bog you down! S x
I never read or even knew about this blog - i'd love some excerpts from it I some one feels like copying and pasting some if the better stuff......i'm all curious now.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:38 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Well there you go....

http://gulfnews.com/Articles/NationN...ticleID=174550

And they say free speech is dead!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:06 pm
Look, the bar's open

china syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Hi Balushi and welcome back

I have no problem with the country and thoroughly enjoy living here. The issue I found frustrating here was more to do with the hypocrisy of presenting the image of a developing and modern society whilst at the same time censoring people right to express there own opinions about said society.

- And thats my point, you should have that right (as should Secret Dubai) and leave people to the choice to read and interpret the writing as they choose.

Personally I did not find Secret's blog that that derogatory about Dubai and believed it was always meant to be taken as satirical and tongue in cheek view of a number of issues that affect us all daily.

To this point I have had no dealing with you in previous post's, however bearing in mind the aggressive tone of the statements in your opening post in this thread I find it a little difficult to believe you were banned .
I'm not going to get into a row with you about what Secret believes or doesn't and whether that view is correct, the point I am trying to make is that he/she (?) should be allowed to make the statements and I (as an adult) should be allowed to read it (which I now can't) and then decide as to whether I believe it, disagree with it, laugh at it or just completely ignore it...

Very well put, quite impressed at the way you kept your feet on the ground there WLH, would have been so easy to have dropped to Balushi's level and lose all decorum (that'll have him running for the dictionary )

cool man ............ have some K
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:46 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Hello all.

I was overseas when the whole blocking thing happened, and it was entirely the kind support of readers that got it unbanned. Please don't "out" me if you think you know who I am (you're welcome to email me) because I have to retain some privacy mainly for the sake of my employers, who are pretty jittery about my blog at present.

This is a load of absolute trolling shit. Apart from the fact that I am not (yet!) jobless, I post a mix of good and bad. If there's more whingeing than celebrating, so be it.

I have also never "banned" anyone - it isn't even possible to do that from Blogspot/Blogger. Anonymous comments are all welcome. The only deletions I have ever made have been:

1. Repeated comments (eg someone hits submit twice, or has a connection glitch)
2. By request - when someone posts something they later regret
3. Once - just once - I deleted a comment I felt was deliberately offensive to muslims.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:03 am
aka Mr. X

eclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by secretdubai
Hello all.

I was overseas when the whole blocking thing happened, and it was entirely the kind support of readers that got it unbanned. Please don't "out" me if you think you know who I am (you're welcome to email me) because I have to retain some privacy mainly for the sake of my employers, who are pretty jittery about my blog at present.

This is a load of absolute trolling shit. Apart from the fact that I am not (yet!) jobless, I post a mix of good and bad. If there's more whingeing than celebrating, so be it.

I have also never "banned" anyone - it isn't even possible to do that from Blogspot/Blogger. Anonymous comments are all welcome. The only deletions I have ever made have been:

1. Repeated comments (eg someone hits submit twice, or has a connection glitch)
2. By request - when someone posts something they later regret
3. Once - just once - I deleted a comment I felt was deliberately offensive to muslims.
I believe Balushi was referring to the BE site, not your blog, Secret. And I believe he also likes to push anyone's buttons, no matter what their views.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:39 am
W10

Nice to see you back up and running.

Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:24 pm
Banned

sophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the roughsophie_springs is a jewel in the rough

bump