Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Abu Dhabi

Schooling in Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

karogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in Abu Dhabi

After moving to Abu Dhabi in mid August from scandinavia we didn't find a school for our 7 year old son yet. Apart from the schooling issue we are very happy with life in AD and hope that the BE users can help us with some advice.

We live in Corniche / Khalidiya area and would prefer a school near to this.

Does any of the schools in AD have a program for kids who doesn't have english as their first language ? or will we be able to get (buy) extra help for him in the beginning ?

Is there any alternative options for day courses in english (for kids) apart from the schools while we wait ?

We are teaching him at home but he misses all of his friends back home. Whats the place to go if we want to give him the chance to meet with other kids in the same situation or just other kids to play with ?

We really hope that somebody can give us some advice as this seems to be the only thing stopping us of having the life in AD that we wanted before coming here.
Thanks in advance for any help you give on this.

Karogan
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Schooling in Abu Dhabi

Karogan, I don't have the answers to all your questions but I would advise you to go and talk to some schools as soon as possible. Most/all(?) the good schools in AD have long waiting lists, so if you don't get your son's name down now he might not be in school til the next academic year.
You could always give him English lessons with a tutor or at a language school while you wait.
What activities does he like doing? Eg if he's into football sign him up to a football class etc. That might expose him to some more English as well.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

karogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Karogan, I don't have the answers to all your questions but I would advise you to go and talk to some schools as soon as possible. Most/all(?) the good schools in AD have long waiting lists, so if you don't get your son's name down now he might not be in school til the next academic year.
You could always give him English lessons with a tutor or at a language school while you wait.
What activities does he like doing? Eg if he's into football sign him up to a football class etc. That might expose him to some more English as well.
Thanks.

Do you know of any language schools ?

We will go for another round with the schools and maybe make our search broader.

He is not into football its more swimming or gymnastics but it doesn't seem to be organized in the same extend as where we come from or at least we haven't found it yet.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Berlitz is near you on 7th but personally I think ELS is better (though I can't remember if they do classes for kids).
You could check out the hotels and clubs for swimming training for kids. I'm not sure about gymnastics though, sorry.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Karogan - can't answer your questions but I believe there is a issue with enrolling children in school in AD when they have previously been home schooled- something to do with ministry of education requirements.

I would suggest that you speak to schools ASAP and consider putting him anywhere so that you avoid the problem of no where taking him.

Sorry can't be more helpful
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding gymnastic- there is Olympic gymnastic center in Al Khubairat school and also I have found a great Judo club (they do karate..etc as well) in Judo federation building. Looks very professional