School places??

Old May 25th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Wicklow Heather is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy School places??

We have just made the decision to move to Abu Dhabi. Were very excited a week ago but after reading loads on various discussion forums, it would seem it is near impossible to get kids into schools for September this year and to find decent accommodation for a family out there. Is it as bleak as it seems???
Old May 25th 2008, 4:31 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School places??

Originally Posted by Wicklow Heather
We have just made the decision to move to Abu Dhabi. Were very excited a week ago but after reading loads on various discussion forums, it would seem it is near impossible to get kids into schools for September this year and to find decent accommodation for a family out there. Is it as bleak as it seems???
In a word: No.
Old May 25th 2008, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

in another word yes. What ages are the kids and which school are you wanting.
Old May 25th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by busybee2
in another word yes. What ages are the kids and which school are you wanting.
I'm not too sure, which I know doesn't help at all. But at the moment, it's a bit of a catch 22 for us. Propsective employer asking me when I can come out but I keep saying as soon as the kids have a place in a school. Have looked at BSAK, Cambridge and also the new Aldar School opening up in Al Raha area. All seem to be full. Having said that, so long as it is a decent school, I would seriously consider it. We are undecided as we are not sure where we want to live yet. I know this sounds all very vague and I suppose at this time, as I'm sure you know, it all seems confusing and overwhelming. But we are coming to Abu Dhabi on 6 June for a scouting mission.
The kids are aged 7 and 10, going into grade 4 and grade 6 respectively for the new academic year.
Old May 25th 2008, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

ok grade 6 is the problem year, the last two years you have had real trouble getting into bsak, now there are 2 other schools opened up. You have bsak which goes infants to seniors but waiting lists, what did they say? New school this year, called Pearl (aldar school) this is only primary upto year 6 (but in town) and a new school opening in KCA / Raha Gardens called Al yasmina (aldar) they will go up to year 9 firstly then continue after that. Have you spoken with them at all. Housing is a problem, but you first need a school place there slightly more housing than schools places, and the other problem you have is finding a house within your budget, what budget have they given you?
Old May 25th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cambridge is a high school so no good for you. there is raha international that is ib school though and there may be a new one called wellington but they havent been given a licence etc so not heard about that one so dont hold your breath.
Old May 25th 2008, 5:11 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wicklow Heather
I'm not too sure, which I know doesn't help at all. But at the moment, it's a bit of a catch 22 for us. Propsective employer asking me when I can come out but I keep saying as soon as the kids have a place in a school. Have looked at BSAK, Cambridge and also the new Aldar School opening up in Al Raha area. All seem to be full. Having said that, so long as it is a decent school, I would seriously consider it. We are undecided as we are not sure where we want to live yet. I know this sounds all very vague and I suppose at this time, as I'm sure you know, it all seems confusing and overwhelming. But we are coming to Abu Dhabi on 6 June for a scouting mission.
The kids are aged 7 and 10, going into grade 4 and grade 6 respectively for the new academic year.
What you have to remember is, people are coming and going all the time. Yes, BSAK may be full now, but that's not to say that places will not be available come September. A colleague of mine has just got his 4 kids in after being told there were no places 3 months ago. There are also other, very good schools, here. I have a list at work and can send it to you tomorrow if you need it.

As for accommodation, there isn't what you would call a surplus, but if you are willing to put the effort in, you will find something.

I am always saying this, but... DON'T BELIEVE THE HORROR STORIES!!!

Abu Dhabi is a great place to bring up a family, frustrating, confusing and bureaucratic, but a great place nonetheless.

Good luck!

Sam x
Old May 25th 2008, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

as i have said on other forums yes things change, they may tell you its full but come sept people have places in many schools and then decide so places become available usually the first couple of weeks into the new term, but you need to do your research first, as especially this year there are definately many more people in abu dhabi trying to get a school place of any sort than last year for example. yes there are houses available but landlords are increasing the rent and kicking people out in order to increase the rent, this has not happened before so again depending on budget, people are leaving because they cannot afford it, so its best to get all the information before coming and then you can make a decision as to whether you will be able to sort things out, as i know lots of people that couldnt afford it or should i say went somewhere else because it would be much better for them, yes there is a shortage of say engineers here because of all the big jobs going on, but you can find a better job with more money in other places as well as here.
Old May 25th 2008, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
What you have to remember is, people are coming and going all the time. Yes, BSAK may be full now, but that's not to say that places will not be available come September. A colleague of mine has just got his 4 kids in after being told there were no places 3 months ago. There are also other, very good schools, here. I have a list at work and can send it to you tomorrow if you need it.

As for accommodation, there isn't what you would call a surplus, but if you are willing to put the effort in, you will find something.

I am always saying this, but... DON'T BELIEVE THE HORROR STORIES!!!

Abu Dhabi is a great place to bring up a family, frustrating, confusing and bureaucratic, but a great place nonetheless.

Good luck!

Sam x
Sam FTQ, I have a list, thank you but calling the schools from here (Ireland) all I got was negative replies. Am hoping to register the kids at BSAK and Al raha when we are over in about 10 days. From there on in, I suppose I'll just leave it to fate (and a bit of luck!). Our accomodation allowance will probably been reasonable enough and as you say, I'll just have to put the legwork in to find what we want. Despite my earlier comments, we have done a fiar bit of esearch and are really postive about bring the family out there - you are right - iti is a great place to bring a family up. Thanks
Old May 25th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

Heather
We have just moved here as of 10 days ago and have only just received places for our two kids ages 5 and 8 into Al Yasmina at Al Raha, which is part of Aldar Academies and still being built and will hopefully be ready by September.Go to Aldar.com and they have a section called Aldar Academies which will give you contact details... PM me and I can give you a contact number and a name if you like.
To be utterly honest it is VERY difficult to get kids into school here. We had to start the procedure at least 6 months before coming out, so yes you should put pressure on the company to help you pave the way as well as start making calls yourself to the schools....don't leave it another 10 days it will only lessen your chance. I find it hard to believe that people have been given places at BSAK as the waiting lists are very long and they must have had a connection of some sort.
Accommodation is going to be tough to find as very little and allow yourself around 250,000AED to get yourself a 3 bedroom townhouse.
Aside from all that it is a nice place to be just make sure you cover your bases before making the leap!
Old May 25th 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by busybee2
ok grade 6 is the problem year, the last two years you have had real trouble getting into bsak, now there are 2 other schools opened up. You have bsak which goes infants to seniors but waiting lists, what did they say? New school this year, called Pearl (aldar school) this is only primary upto year 6 (but in town) and a new school opening in KCA / Raha Gardens called Al yasmina (aldar) they will go up to year 9 firstly then continue after that. Have you spoken with them at all. Housing is a problem, but you first need a school place there slightly more housing than schools places, and the other problem you have is finding a house within your budget, what budget have they given you?
Busybee2,
Haven't finalised any accomodation allowance yet but would need a four bed villa so I imagine I would be looking at about 300K for this. I am in the construction industry and as you rightly say, those professions are in demand so I hope to do reasonably well as far as a a package goes.
Dropped Al Yasmina an email with no luck so I will call them tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks - it always helps to talk!!!
Old May 25th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

We have been here for 10 weeks now and yes it can be difficult getting school places but if you persevere hopefully it will all come good in the end, you do need to keep in constant contact with the schools, just so they don't forget you! My 3 school-age children have all got into bsak and we do not have any connections there, just because they got a place doesn't mean there must be something going on. You do stand more of a chance if you are looking to start them mid academic year as we did, most people want to start their children in September. Also, bsak is a british school and, as long as the waiting list is, the majority of the list isn't british so a british family wishing to register their children there will go to the bottom of the list of british people, not the bottom of the entire list, they take precedence over other nationalities. Someone has just left year 5 and I also know that someone else is leaving although I don't know when and that is just in the last week so places do become available quite often. Its the same with housing, there is accommodation here, you just have to keep at it. Don't give up, it is a wonderful place to live. Good luck.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

Your probably right cherrypie about the list...as I'm British married to an Aussie so I probably hit the middle somewhere. Agree with accommodation just have to be persistant.....Also Heard there is an International school at Al Raha and is offering places in some years.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TBird
Your probably right cherrypie about the list...as I'm British married to an Aussie so I probably hit the middle somewhere. Agree with accommodation just have to be persistant.....Also Heard there is an International school at Al Raha and is offering places in some years.
I am also British married to an Aussie, and BSAK told us that they go primarily by the nationality of the child.

Incidentally, where I come from in North London, parents were putting their children's names down for some schools before they were even born. I tried putting my child's name down for a school (starting at age 4) when he was a few months old and was told that we were too late, but could go on the waiting list!
Old May 26th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

too true Sam...waiting lists seem to be part of life with kids!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.