Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Woman's point of view.

Saudi Woman's point of view.

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Saudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to all
Question Saudi Woman's point of view.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I'm a Saudi woman and I have a western boyfriend.

Not all women here want to be locked up at home and not interact with the opposite sex. Not all of us don't want any expat friends.

I know I'm doing something against my culture but hey, it's really strange for me to be living without any male company from time to time.

I'm asking this because I sense that some expats look at me as an inferior when I'm with my boyfriend. What are your thoughts??

Also, I go to my boyfriedn's compound. It allows Saudi people in. Will I ever have a problem with the mutaws?! They're not allowed in as far as I know!! Has anyone heard something different?!

Last edited by Saudi Girl; Mar 2nd 2010 at 5:47 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:47 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi Woman's point of view.

Originally Posted by Saudi Girl

Not all women here want to be locked up at home and not interact with the opposite sex. Not all of us don't want any expat friends.

I know I'm doing something against my culture but hey, it's really stupid to be living without any male company from time to time.

I'm asking this because I sense that some expats look at me as an inferior when I'm with my boyfriend. What are your thoughts??

Also, I go to my boyfriedn's compound. It allows Saudi people in. Will I ever have a problem with the mutaws?! They're not allowed in as far as I know!! Has anyone heard something different?!
SG, welcome to the BEME forum. Hope you take an active part in the discussions as we really do want all points of view. I can't comment on the situation in Saudi as I try not to visit but must ocassionaly.

However, join in, share your point of view and try to keep references to religion to a minimum unless it's relevant.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:58 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Speaking for myself here, I certainly don't think of Muslim women in traditional societies as inferior. My main thoughts on the matter is whether or not they (you!) have any choice in the matter or are happy with it. I guess there may be a slight feeling of pity mixed in there somewhere, but that's probably because my own logic and upbringing suggests that no woman could be happy in such circumstances.

I've never been to Saudi, so can't comment further!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Saudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to allSaudi Girl is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Saudi Woman's point of view.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Welcome to BE!

Speaking for myself here, I certainly don't think of Muslim women in traditional societies as inferior. My main thoughts on the matter is whether or not they (you!) have any choice in the matter or are happy with it. I guess there may be a slight feeling of pity mixed in there somewhere, but that's probably because my own logic and upbringing suggests that no woman could be happy in such circumstances.

I've never been to Saudi, so can't comment further!
We don't have any choice. It's horrible! I wish I can live somewhere far away from here.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:16 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have any choice. It's horrible! I wish I can live somewhere far away from here.
oh, bless you! In any case, it sounds like you have the get-up-and-go necessary to do just that!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm doing something against my culture but hey, it's really stupid to be living without any male company from time to time.

Hello!
Are you in Riyadh?
I do not think any expat will look down on you in genera or for for having a boyfriend. don't worry, be happy and stay safe!
If you are in Riyadh, I know of 1 compound that NEVER gets muttawas.
xoxo
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Re: Saudi Woman's point of view.

Originally Posted by Alexa
Hello!
Are you in Riyadh?
I do not think any expat will look down on you in genera or for for having a boyfriend. don't worry, be happy and stay safe!
If you are in Riyadh, I know of 1 compound that NEVER gets muttawas.
xoxo
Yes, I'm in Riyadh! Are you here too?
1 compound?! I thought all compounds are safe !!
Which one are you talking about? Besides, they won't let me in unless I know someone there.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm in Riyadh! Are you here too?
1 compound?! I thought all compounds are safe !!
Which one are you talking about? Besides, they won't let me in unless I know someone there.
No, I'm sadly not there anymore...miss it though...had lots of friends there. The only compound that was 100% safe then, once you get through the checkpoint was Kingdom, because the owner saw to it.....and yes i know...i lived there, signed in loads of people for parties.
xoxo
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

No, I'm sadly not there anymore...miss it though...had lots of friends there. The only compound that was 100% safe then, once you get through the checkpoint was Kingdom, because the owner saw to it.....and yes i know...i lived there, signed in loads of people for parties.
xoxo
Glad to know someone actually liked Riyadh .
Kingdom compound, I heard they caught 3 Saudi girls there a few weeks ago. The security guards called mutawas and they were waiting for them outside! I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.
I've always thought that compounds are 100% safe! I still think that mutawas can't get in!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glad to know someone actually liked Riyadh .
Kingdom compound, I heard they caught 3 Saudi girls there a few weeks ago. The security guards called mutawas and they were waiting for them outside! I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.
I've always thought that compounds are 100% safe! I still think that mutawas can't get in!
Wow...scary! Did not happen when I lived there...
I remember, there were stories that Muttawas tried to climb over the wall at Eid compound, and some of the smaller compounds had problems, the muttawas just walked in and knocked on doors.
Just be very careful...only let girls sign you in, and be sure to have a respected family, preferably a father, vouch for you if you get caught, to tell them you stayed with them.
Might help.
And I thought muttawas had calmed down over there....

So, what do you do? what is your life like over there?
I am in Qatar now, would much rather be in riyadh.
xoxo
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Wow...scary! Did not happen when I lived there...
I remember, there were stories that Muttawas tried to climb over the wall at Eid compound, and some of the smaller compounds had problems, the muttawas just walked in and knocked on doors.
Just be very careful...only let girls sign you in, and be sure to have a respected family, preferably a father, vouch for you if you get caught, to tell them you stayed with them.
Might help.
And I thought muttawas had calmed down over there....

So, what do you do? what is your life like over there?
I am in Qatar now, would much rather be in riyadh.
xoxo

Qatar is way better than Riyadh!
The problem is my boyfriend always signs me in and we never had any problems till now (it's been 7 months). The security men never said anything. I just heard some stories so I wanted to make sure I was safe!
My father can get me out of it, its no problem but the problem is that my dad would get really crazy if he knew I'm dating! so ...
life over here is so boring honestly!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Qatar is way better than Riyadh!
The problem is my boyfriend always signs me in and we never had any problems till now (it's been 7 months). The security men never said anything. I just heard some stories so I wanted to make sure I was safe!
My father can get me out of it, its no problem but the problem is that my dad would get really crazy if he knew I'm dating! so ...
life over here is so boring honestly!
Yeah I know...for you girls it's pretty bad. I suppose you are pretty young? Can't yo go to school in another country?

Truthfully, I don't think you are safe. You never know who sees, hears or is simply a bit too selfrighteous. Look, just try to be REALLY careful.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I know...for you girls it's pretty bad. I suppose you are pretty young? Can't yo go to school in another country?

Truthfully, I don't think you are safe. You never know who sees, hears or is simply a bit too selfrighteous. Look, just try to be REALLY careful.
Thanks, I'm trying to be as carfeful as I can.
Yes I'm 23. I wish I can study abroad but we're not allowed to!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I'm trying to be as carfeful as I can.
Yes I'm 23. I wish I can study abroad but we're not allowed to!
Ah ok. Can't you talk to your father?
Your English is very good...where did you learn that?
I have met a few Saudi girls, their English was not very good, as they were not really taught in the local schools.
xoxo
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok. Can't you talk to your father?
Your English is very good...where did you learn that?
I have met a few Saudi girls, their English was not very good, as they were not really taught in the local schools.
xoxo
Yes we're not taught English in schools till intermediate school and just A,B,C's and easy stuff.
I went to private schools and I majored in English language!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.