Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi to introduce Income Tax..UAE Next??...

Saudi to introduce Income Tax..UAE Next??...

Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:37 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saudi to introduce Income Tax..UAE Next??...

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...on=theuae&col=

In a recent interview with Reuters, Shaikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of Economy and Planning, said that the UAE was planning to impose sales tax on tobacco products which becomes effective from next year.

“We are looking for imposing sales tax in some sectors such as tobacco,” the agency quoted her as saying.

This was regarded by observers as a possible first step to introducing sales tax on a larger scale in the country.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:55 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi to introduce Income Tax..UAE Next??...

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers]http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...on=theuae&col=

In a recent interview with Reuters, Shaikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of Economy and Planning, said that the UAE was planning to impose sales tax on tobacco products which becomes effective from next year.

“We are looking for imposing sales tax in some sectors such as tobacco,” the agency quoted her as saying.

This was regarded by observers as a possible first step to introducing sales tax on a larger scale in the country.[/QUOTE

Smoking can kill u. Make u grow older quicker. Make yr teeth yellow(yuk). Make u smell horrid. Reduces yr sex life to a zero.......etc etc
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:13 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

This was regarded by observers as a possible first step to introducing sales tax on a larger scale in the country.

What is she trying to prove??!

If she is that interested in removing the stereotyping of Gulf women as good in Kitchen ladies than I think she is doing the opposite.

Tax! so we will pay tax now and then she can take the State Oil Money and buy more make-up. If she is so interested in being mother Teresa than I reckon she place a TAX on alcohol.

Alcohol is the biggest killer(directly and indirectly) in the world than compare to Cigarette.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Metaphorically speaking;they always begin with a kiss,and the next thing you know,youre knocked up....
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:15 am
Feeling broody

alowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm, wonder how many people would leave if they did introduce tax??

As for tax on smoking pah (cough splutter phlegm)!!!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:42 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

It's been discussed a lot - especially from the IMF strongly recommending tax being introduced to keep revenues high, especially if / when the oil revenue declines.

It looks likely to come in slowly, as with the tobacco. VAT most likely, not income tax.

On the revenue side, Directors were of the view that the revenue base needs to be strengthened to reduce its reliance on oil and gas revenues, and recommended introducing a value added tax in coordination with other members of the Gulf Cooperation Council, expanding the base of the corporate income tax, and considering the introduction of a local property tax. http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pn/2004/pn0466.htm

We expect the GCC to implement a value added tax over the medium term despite current record oil revenues. A low VAT rate would be a positive step for fiscal reform and is unlikely to hurt competitiveness http://www.ameinfo.com/65828.html
Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Nope - General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister, yesterday said that the UAE would remain free of taxation.
Shk Mo has been quoted in the Khaleej times "We do not have tax (and) we do not need to have tax.”
Lets wait until tomorrow and see whether he was misquoted by KT - so watch out for the opposite view in tomorrow's Gulf News

Anya
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:44 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is already taxed- as is food when you go to restaurants- 17% isn't it? If income tax was introduced it would be like rats leaving a sinking ship- as if the hike in rent hasn't scared enough people off.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:27 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Alcohol is already taxed- as is food when you go to restaurants- 17% isn't it? If income tax was introduced it would be like rats leaving a sinking ship- as if the hike in rent hasn't scared enough people off.

ln 5 star restaurent they have municipality tax if they serve alcohol But there aint no tax on food.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

What will probably happen is the "stealth" taxes will spread and increase- the housing "fee", the cost to register your car, the fines you pay when you drive your car, the tax on meals in the hotels etc. I can cope with these taxes better than income tax because to some extent I have control over how much of them I pay- I can go into the city between 12 and 4 when you can park for free, I can eat out less and so on.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
What will probably happen is the "stealth" taxes will spread and increase- the housing "fee", the cost to register your car, the fines you pay when you drive your car, the tax on meals in the hotels etc. I can cope with these taxes better than income tax because to some extent I have control over how much of them I pay- I can go into the city between 12 and 4 when you can park for free, I can eat out less and so on.

the gov. must make BILLIONS, the cost of a Labour permit is at 3k, and currently there are 1.2million labourers here.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:24 am
W10

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi,
Nope - General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister, yesterday said that the UAE would remain free of taxation.

Anya
As has been mentioned - I must remember that line the next time I go to mmi or the next time I pay my DEWA bill etc etc

Not that I think these taxes are particularly harsh, they're easy to cope with and not really a problem at the moment. I just wish all 'rulers' (from Gordon Brown to Shk Mo) would actually admit when a tax is a tax instead of playing semantics.

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:30 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

How does that go, if you sing the first couple of lines I'll try to hum along!
Originally Posted by W10
playing semantics.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
As has been mentioned - I must remember that line the next time I go to mmi or the next time I pay my DEWA bill etc etc

Not that I think these taxes are particularly harsh, they're easy to cope with and not really a problem at the moment. I just wish all 'rulers' (from Gordon Brown to Shk Mo) would actually admit when a tax is a tax instead of playing semantics.
I guess he meant 'income' tax.

As for people leaving - ultimately it depends on whether you can find better opportunities elsewhere and how much you take home/save at the end of the month.

Anya
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:27 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

guess i will move to canada then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.