Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

ForzaMinardi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Hi everyone, virginal newbie here.

Next week I have an interview for a job in Saudi Arabia with the Fawaz Alhokair Group, apparently otherwise known as "Alhokair". Does anyone have any experience of this company, or indeed any general tips in terms of "dos" and "don'ts" for the interview? The interview itself involves an element of establishing how much I have found out about Saudi life and business, so if anyone has some 'inside info' which may not be easily found via regular research and which may impress them, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Just come across as being open-minded and willing to accommodate change in your lifestyle. If you say that you don't drink, that would probably help.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate! I suppose bacon sandwiches are off too?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Faction is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in Saudi for five years and generally found it OK. It really depends on the size of project you are working on and whether or not you are working under a "western" regime. I never worked for a Saudi company and you might find that they are more restrictive in the what you can and cannot do. I've not heard of the company you mention but then again it was a while ago when I was last there!! Best of luck anyway. Why are you attracted to Saudi? What industry are you in?

Faction
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Faction
I worked in Saudi for five years and generally found it OK. It really depends on the size of project you are working on and whether or not you are working under a "western" regime. I never worked for a Saudi company and you might find that they are more restrictive in the what you can and cannot do. I've not heard of the company you mention but then again it was a while ago when I was last there!! Best of luck anyway. Why are you attracted to Saudi? What industry are you in?

Faction
Cheers for the advise - fellow Jock here fae Glesga!

It's a retail franchise company - apparently the biggest retailer in Saudi. I'm in marketing (but I'm an OK guy, honestly). I've been thinking about moving to the Gulf generally for a while, and the opportunity has come up now. I was thinking more Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc. than Saudi, but its a good job and the cash is good, so we'll see. I suspect Saudi is a bit 'in at the deep end' but sometimes that's the way to go.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview in London with two Saudi guys who work for the company. It was pretty much straight down the line - all of the interview was about the job,and my skills and experience. That would be my first piece of advice- make sure you can actually do the job they want you to.

There is - as I'm sure you have discovered - heaps of stuff on the internet about life in Saudi , you can also read The Deans article on this site on Life in Saudi.

I've only been here a few days, so it still a new experience for me, but do your homework on the company, what you can offer to them, and what you have learnt so far re KSA, you will be fine.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForzaMinardi

It's a retail franchise company - apparently the biggest retailer in Saudi. I'm in marketing (but I'm an OK guy, honestly). I've been thinking about moving to the Gulf generally for a while, and the opportunity has come up now. I was thinking more Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc. than Saudi, but its a good job and the cash is good, so we'll see. I suspect Saudi is a bit 'in at the deep end' but sometimes that's the way to go.
another jock!! welcome!!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

submariner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, virginal newbie here.

Next week I have an interview for a job in Saudi Arabia with the Fawaz Alhokair Group, apparently otherwise known as "Alhokair". Does anyone have any experience of this company, or indeed any general tips in terms of "dos" and "don'ts" for the interview? The interview itself involves an element of establishing how much I have found out about Saudi life and business, so if anyone has some 'inside info' which may not be easily found via regular research and which may impress them, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi ForzaMinardi,

How did your interview go with Alhokair? Are you working with them? I am considering a job opportunity with them and was wondering how your experience has been.

Would appreciate any inputs you can provide based on your experience with them.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't mind can I ask you how you found the job?? i.e. was it an agency? And if you found much in Dubai?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Think you'll find that ForzaMinardi hasn't been here since April.........

3 posts and then gone.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
Think you'll find that ForzaMinardi hasn't been here since April.........

3 posts and then gone.
Ah, well spotted. Typical. I'm just trying to help someone out.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:01 pm
Banned

celcite is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome To MiddleEast!
You are going to save heaps living in Saudi.Saudi have greater potential for savings as compared to GCC.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything in your life).
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celcite
Welcome To MiddleEast!
You are going to save heaps living in Saudi.Saudi have greater potential for savings as compared to GCC.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything in your life).