Salary Question

Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Question

Originally Posted by highlander393
confucius and C35AMG I dont know what high powered jobs you are in but you are confusing happy man and in the real world 47 k for 7 years experience in civil eng is extremely good. particularly when they can normally get more experienced nationals from other countries for less than that.
Seconded.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

confucius and C35AMG I dont know what high powered jobs you are in but you are confusing happy man and in the real world 47 k for 7 years experience in civil eng is extremely good. particularly when they can normally get more experienced nationals from other countries for less than that.
Im not a high flyer...I might be one of the few on BE who gets a real world salary...
I get extremely pissed off when people talk about a AED40K plus salary as if it's just above the poverty line...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Seconded.
I'm sure you're also on a real world salary...You've always been sensible about it...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I'm sure you're also on a real world salary...You've always been sensible about it...
Well I ain't getting 47k that's for sure.

But I save more here in a year than I could earn gross back home. Helps that I don't get sucked in to 'having' to live in overpriced accommodation.

I earn much less than 47k but my rent is less than 10% of my earnings.....you can make dubai work for you if you forgo the 'must haves'.

interestingly....my apartment in international shitty is the same size and layout as the old town one was....and much much cheaper. So what if the taps aren't as nice and al manzil hotel isn't on my doorstep.

I understand i'm a different situation to the likes of happyman though...no family to support etc...but still...winds me up people saying you NEED 70k min to get by here....that's balls!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Well I ain't getting 47k that's for sure.

But I save more here in a year than I could earn gross back home. Helps that I don't get sucked in to 'having' to live in overpriced accommodation.

I earn much less than 47k but my rent is less than 10% of my earnings.....you can make dubai work for you if you forgo the 'must haves'.

interestingly....my apartment in international shitty is the same size and layout as the old town one was....and much much cheaper. So what if the taps aren't as nice and al manzil hotel isn't on my doorstep.

I understand i'm a different situation to the likes of happyman though...no family to support etc...but still...winds me up people saying you NEED 70k min to get by here....that's balls!
I know...The thing is that some people are already used to a certain lifestyle that they expect at least a bit better life when they get here...
I dont blame them...But, look at it like this: the big money that you get, anywhere in the world, could very well dry up in a second, what will you do then??? Crying doesn't bring the time backwards...
Money is made for spending, I agree...But not indulging...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

I'm with you guys. i am very surprised that happyman is being offered so much for so little experience.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm with you guys. i am very surprised that happyman is being offered so much for so little experience.
Land of opportunity/right place at the right time...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

when we first moved here nearly 11 years ago my hubs was only earning 11k total for somebody with more than 10 years experience and being chartered, i know things are a little different now but even so, 47k is a very good salary for somebody who is not even chartered i wouldnt be complaining.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by busybee2
when we first moved here nearly 11 years ago my hubs was only earning 11k total for somebody with more than 10 years experience and being chartered, i know things are a little different now but even so, 47k is a very good salary for somebody who is not even chartered i wouldnt be complaining.
11K was alrightish money at the time...Villas would be rented at 3-4K a month maximum, life was cheap...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

I see your point that it's a good offer but is it usual to have an offer without relocation package? Can I ask for this to be added rather than a loan?

Also, there is only health insurance for me but not for the family. Is this going to be major problem or is the package enough to cover that. Do you know how much is health insurance or doctor visits?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by happy man
I see your point that it's a good offer but is it usual to have an offer without relocation package? Can I ask for this to be added rather than a loan?

Also, there is only health insurance for me but not for the family. Is this going to be major problem or is the package enough to cover that. Do you know how much is health insurance or doctor visits?
Relocation package usually depends on company policy...Doesn't mean that you shouldn't try your luck and ask for it...Make a case, you'll never lose...
As for health insurance, in my company, only the MD is on family health insurance, the rest of us minions are on individual...Plus don't forget, you are entitled to get a yearly ticket back home, at least for yourself...Thems the rules...
The dostors that I visit usually charge 350-400 per visit...Health insurance should be around 10-15,000 for the rest of your folk and can be included on company policy to get a fairer price...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Confucius
Relocation package usually depends on company policy...Doesn't mean that you shouldn't try your luck and ask for it...Make a case, you'll never lose...
As for health insurance, in my company, only the MD is on family health insurance, the rest of us minions are on individual...Plus don't forget, you are entitled to get a yearly ticket back home, at least for yourself...Thems the rules...
The dostors that I visit usually charge 350-400 per visit...Health insurance should be around 10-15,000 for the rest of your folk and can be included on company policy to get a fairer price...
I thought it's standard but there is no yearly ticket. It's maybe included as an allowance in the whole figure as I don't know the breakdown yet. Shall I still ask for it on top of the package?

I think I can ask for family health insurance but if your figure is yearly it's not a big problem then. It means 1,250 AED per month. Does it cover medicine or is it just consultation?

Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by happy man
I thought it's standard but there is no yearly ticket. It's maybe included as an allowance in the whole figure as I don't know the breakdown yet. Shall I still ask for it on top of the package?

I think I can ask for family health insurance but if your figure is yearly it's not a big problem then. It means 1,250 AED per month. Does it cover medicine or is it just consultation?

Thanks
It's usually given on top of your salary...Say nothing at first until you get the breakdown...If you ask them before, they might get clever and include it just to shut you up...
The HI figure is yearly...It covers medicine and consultation, even surgery...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

the company is really only responsible for you, they sponsor you, not necessarily your family, so if they are giving you a good salary, which it is, then they will not give it to you extra, ie a lot of companies now give you a lump sum and its up to you how you spend it, ie schools fees, medical, etc etc, they are responsible for you, so the labour law will say that they have to give you medical, money for flight, but that may be included in your lump sum etc, you have to cover the costs for your family etc.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

when we moved here, originally, we had no relocation package, they paid for flights over (we were on single man status as everyone was but they paid for the flights for spouse/1 child at the time) we had to pay for our own accommodation and furniture etc, we had a health card, not medical insurance (as those were the rules at the time) so we had to pay for trips to the doctors etc, my huband in his small salary had a car allowance, which everyone leased cars, but we came along and the allowance would pay for 1.5 cars so we then bought so that part of my car was paid for, we had to have a car, as my hubs was commuting to dubai and i was pregnant with 1 child, so car was necessary. you have to be very careful keep asking for extra this and that, because if they have given you a good salary in the first place, i have known a lot of companies say goodbye and tell you to go and find one with a better one. yes back than 11 was only a alrightish salary and we did ok because the rent was okish as well, a 2 bed flat was 25k a year! the only people at that time making loads of money were people in the oil industry not in construction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.