British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   salary package UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/salary-package-uae-739781/)

Ethos83 Feb 18th 2012 7:24 pm

Re: salary package UAE

A Junior Director means everything or nothing depending on the company in question.

You can live off the 12K a month and save the rest of the 25K. Find a decent 1-bedroom in a popular expat community for 70K and give yourself a monthly budget of 5-6K for food, entertainment and transportation.

I left Dubai almost a year ago but back then my combined monthly living expenses including rent and all expenditures was just about 10K per month averaged out across the year. The rest was banked. And I lived pretty well.

Originally Posted by NicholasP (Post 9907678)
Hi there!

Reviewing these threads and some great advice with interest! Am considering a move to Dubai and am being offered in the region of 25k AED per month basic. I had considered this an amazing offer, but it sounds like this underwhelming to those more seasoned with Dubai salaries! However I will receive 12k per month housing allowance on top of this. It is for a Junior Director-level role.

I'm single and will be placing an emphasis on saving while in Dubai. Am I being short-changed?

Would love anyone's advice! Thanks.

guuuude Feb 20th 2012 5:01 am

10k per month including rent??

I guess a "normal" life witout nasty things will be

6-7 k rent permonth
1 k for Dewa TV mobile elect.
4 k Car
6-8 K Food, good quality food from a "good" supermarket normal brunch

everything under 15k per month sounds like suffering, living in Discovery Gardens, Drive a Tida, etc.

With all the hidden costs Fees tax or however they call it calculate 20 K per month for spending the rest can be saved.

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9909732)
A Junior Director means everything or nothing depending on the company in question.

You can live off the 12K a month and save the rest of the 25K. Find a decent 1-bedroom in a popular expat community for 70K and give yourself a monthly budget of 5-6K for food, entertainment and transportation.

I left Dubai almost a year ago but back then my combined monthly living expenses including rent and all expenditures was just about 10K per month averaged out across the year. The rest was banked. And I lived pretty well.

Ethos83 Feb 20th 2012 7:26 pm

I dusted off the budget spreadsheets from last year just before I left Dubai. My monthly expenses from January 2010 - March 2011 were consistent:

Monthly accommodation expenses (rent + dewa) for a 1 x bedroom 850sqft flat in a fancy Emaar building: 5500 AED.

Monthly transportation expenses (petrol + share of insurance): 750 AED. Note that I bought my Pajero in cash so had no monthly payments.

Monthly food and entertainment expenses: approximately 650 AED/week, 2,600 AED a month. Shopping was done at Carrefour and Spinneys, takeaway once week, food court lunch once a week, dining out once week at a mix of cheap Indian/Paki restaurants in Karama and Satwa and fancier Western restaurants in New Dubai. Entertainment: drinks out once week on average.

Miscellaneous: 1,000 AED/month to cover additional entertainment expenses, brunch, sports activities and what you have it.

Overall I spent just about 10,000 AED/month and saved the rest. And I lived pretty well.

If you're the type of person who needs to go out every single night and blow through a few hundred AED on a typical night out, dine out/takeaway all the time, have a bigger apartment and all that, yep, your expenses will go up significantly. But it's still quite possible to live the nice life in Dubai at and under 10K a month.

Originally Posted by guuuude (Post 9911520)
10k per month including rent??

I guess a "normal" life witout nasty things will be

6-7 k rent permonth
1 k for Dewa TV mobile elect.
4 k Car
6-8 K Food, good quality food from a "good" supermarket normal brunch

everything under 15k per month sounds like suffering, living in Discovery Gardens, Drive a Tida, etc.

With all the hidden costs Fees tax or however they call it calculate 20 K per month for spending the rest can be saved.

Millhouse Feb 20th 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9912513)
I dusted off the budget spreadsheets from last year just before I left Dubai. My monthly expenses from January 2010 - March 2011 were consistent:

Monthly accommodation expenses (rent + dewa) for a 1 x bedroom 850sqft flat in a fancy Emaar building: 5500 AED.

Monthly transportation expenses (petrol + share of insurance): 750 AED. Note that I bought my Pajero in cash so had no monthly payments.

Monthly food and entertainment expenses: approximately 650 AED/week, 2,600 AED a month. Shopping was done at Carrefour and Spinneys, takeaway once week, food court lunch once a week, dining out once week at a mix of cheap Indian/Paki restaurants in Karama and Satwa and fancier Western restaurants in New Dubai. Entertainment: drinks out once week on average.

Miscellaneous: 1,000 AED/month to cover additional entertainment expenses, brunch, sports activities and what you have it.

Overall I spent just about 10,000 AED/month and saved the rest. And I lived pretty well.

If you're the type of person who needs to go out every single night and blow through a few hundred AED on a typical night out, dine out/takeaway all the time, have a bigger apartment and all that, yep, your expenses will go up significantly. But it's still quite possible to live the nice life in Dubai at and under 10K a month.

but could you afford to put curtains in the flat?

northbadawi Feb 20th 2012 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9912513)
But it's still quite possible to live the nice life in Dubai at and under 10K a month.

A lot of TCNs live on 5 sar/day in Saudi and save the remaining from their 250sar/month salary. Seems in Dubai they now can live for 4 aed/day:
http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/dub...ve-cities.html

Bahtatboy Feb 20th 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9912542)
but could you afford to put curtains in the flat?

You've got to think outside the (British, middle-class) box: reflective windows during daylight hours = nobody can see in; reflective windows at night + keep lights off or turned really low = nobody can see in; reflective windows at night + bright lights in the kitchen = who cares if anyone sees what goes on in the kitchen?

mentalist Feb 20th 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9912735)
You've got to think outside the (British, middle-class) box: reflective windows during daylight hours = nobody can see in; reflective windows at night + keep lights off or turned really low = nobody can see in; reflective windows at night + bright lights in the kitchen = who cares if anyone sees what goes on in the kitchen?

You never cook naked or have sex on the kitchen table?

Ethos83 Feb 20th 2012 10:39 pm

My flat was too high up for anyone to see inside and there was no neighbouring towers facing my flat.

Besides, I really don't care if people outside can see me. I don't have curtains in my London flat either.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9912735)