British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   salary package UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/salary-package-uae-739781/)

RedRoar75 Nov 26th 2011 9:33 pm

Re: salary package UAE

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9750486)
You've a lot to learn then. It does make a difference, unfortunately.

I'm sure it does - but not everywhere.

dutchy Nov 27th 2011 3:30 am

We are in the process of negotiations. Thanks for your help

gottheTshirt Nov 27th 2011 4:53 pm

A package of 25 K AED is what I am offering to Indians and other TCNs. I would not expect to get a western expat for that. But "Aircraft Engineer" does not have any meaning. It can cover anything form a time served City and Guilds Qualified tradesman to a Phd qualified chartered engineer. So we could be discussing anything from a 25 year old tradesman (for which 25 K is excellent) to a 50 year old Phd qualified chartered engineer (for which 25K needs to be multiplied by at least a factor of 5) .i.e we are discussing the length of a piece of string. Unfortunately out here tradesmen/technician positions are filled by TCNs and consequently salaries are not attractive to qualified westerners. That is why there isn't one decent plumbing or electrical installation anywhere in the Middle East. However, Emirates planes seem to stay in the sky so perhaps there are some decent tradesman and technician salaries on offer in the aircraft industry.

TCN = Third Country National (home country salaries a couple of hundred dollars a month)

gottheTshirt Nov 27th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9749717)

Don't for a second think that your ethnicity has no relevance out here.

Of course it does and it is nothing to do with PC or equality (well not only). It is a fact of life. The Middle East is a meeting of the third and western world. You have to take into account that people on the dole or minimum wage in UK are receiving/earning more in a week then some degree qualified engineers are earning in a month in Bangladesh or Pakistan. A Bangladeshi engineer sending home $500 a month over a few years will set himself and his family up in relative luxury. It is all relative and I am not sure who comes out worst or best. But the scales are beginning to balance TCN expertise and salaries are increasing. Relatively westerner,s skills and salaries are falling. Soon we will all be TCNs.

Bahtatboy Nov 27th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 9757545)
Of course it does and it is nothing to do with PC or equality (well not only). It is a fact of life. The Middle East is a meeting of the third and western world. You have to take into account that people on the dole or minimum wage in UK are receiving/earning more in a week then some degree qualified engineers are earning in a month in Bangladesh or Pakistan. A Bangladeshi engineer sending home $500 a month over a few years will set himself and his family up in relative luxury. It is all relative and I am not sure who comes out worst or best. But the scales are beginning to balance TCN expertise and salaries are increasing. Relatively westerner,s skills and salaries are falling. Soon we will all be TCNs.

Some of us already are.

Spoiler:
Hint: County

mission Nov 27th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9749523)
The deals rubbish

totally agree....shyte deal for sure.

mission Nov 27th 2011 11:57 pm

i dont get why anyone would even remotely consider to come out here on less than a minimum of AED 25k basic a month. Unless they are totally jobless in their home countries.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 28th 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 9757892)
i dont get why anyone would even remotely consider to come out here on less than a minimum of AED 25k basic a month. Unless they are totally jobless in their home countries.

My basic is less than 25k a month.

kittycat1 Nov 28th 2011 1:59 am

but scamp- you're special....

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 28th 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9758040)

special needs or just special?

Bahtatboy Nov 28th 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9759467)

I feel a psychiatric assessment coming on...

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 28th 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9759480)
I feel a psychiatric assessment coming on...

Will it end in me being diagnosed as one of the following;

A genius
The next Prime Minister
Future Nobel prize winner

I hope so.

NicholasP Feb 17th 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 9757892)

Hi there!

Reviewing these threads and some great advice with interest! Am considering a move to Dubai and am being offered in the region of 25k AED per month basic. I had considered this an amazing offer, but it sounds like this underwhelming to those more seasoned with Dubai salaries! However I will receive 12k per month housing allowance on top of this. It is for a Junior Director-level role.

I'm single and will be placing an emphasis on saving while in Dubai. Am I being short-changed?

Would love anyone's advice! Thanks.

kittycat1 Feb 17th 2012 11:22 pm

nicholas p- junior director level- that sounds like it should be higher paid but I'd say thats a pretty nice deal- is it better than your current position pays? tax free -any bonus? You'll have a very nice quality of life on that and save. :D

always push for more but if you thought it was an amazing offer then it probably is.

kittycat1 Feb 17th 2012 11:25 pm

Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
well scamp, maybe you're just a little bit of both ;)

not sure the last time a recruitment agent won the nobel prize...:huh: