Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The salary issue.... Jeddah v Dubai

The salary issue.... Jeddah v Dubai

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:08 am
Just Joined

JEDDAH PETE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The salary issue.... Jeddah v Dubai

When I check out these threads I am astounded how some people in Dubai can survive, obviously everyone is not on the same money, but from reading these threads I am amazed people can afford to earn 15-20 K a month, housing excluded, car etc and afford to pay Dubai prices and save. I have not lived in Dubai so can not comment on the exact living costs but from my many visits it seems pretty pricey.

Living in Saudi there are far more restrictions but the pay and benefits seem on average quite considerably higher, it astounds me the amount of people who are moving to Dubai to clear their debts when they have a better chance in the magic kingdom!

Have I got the wrong end of the stick ?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The salary issue.... Jeddah v Dubai

Originally Posted by JEDDAH PETE
When I check out these threads I am astounded how some people in Dubai can survive, obviously everyone is not on the same money, but from reading these threads I am amazed people can afford to earn 15-20 K a month, housing excluded, car etc and afford to pay Dubai prices and save. I have not lived in Dubai so can not comment on the exact living costs but from my many visits it seems pretty pricey.

Living in Saudi there are far more restrictions but the pay and benefits seem on average quite considerably higher, it astounds me the amount of people who are moving to Dubai to clear their debts when they have a better chance in the magic kingdom!

people would rather earn less and live somewhere civilised
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Ouch ! ........

Slap it on the credit card !
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch ! ........

Slap it on the credit card !
we don't have any debt thank you
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Dear Pete - if jeddah works for you and you are making good money then you should be happy. I remember back in 96 when I first came to dubai - there were some brits coming down from the plane - they remarked and i quote (Saudi - its the dungeon - the pits) - Anyway if you like jeddah -it's not that far to come to dubai for a holiday sometimes....

As for salary - BETTER BROKE IN DUBAI THAT RICH IN JEDDAH.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because no one in Dubai earns more than 20K per month.

You can stay living in the Middle Ages. We'll remain in 1910 with our booze and pork.

-
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

The Kingdom? No Thank You.

I have a lovely wife and daughter. So... no thank you again.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we must be crazy that we´re not all living in a place where women can´t drive, you can get absolutely no alcohol, racism is considered normal, men can´t go to the mall alone in the weekends or evenings and so on.

Silly us..
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Its not for everyone, but dont knock until you try it. Sure there are no clubs and pubs and places to eat out but at the end of the day your social life is exactly what you want it or dont want it to be. We worked in a place in Saudi which was no where even close to anything Jeddah has, our biggest store was Grand Stores. After 4.5 very happy and busy years working there we came back from our time there and refurbed and re-roofed our house and paid for it in cash with some left over.

Jeddah Pete if you are enjoying it as much as you can do then enjoy, Cyprus is only a 2 hour flight for a bit of R&R. We did it often.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses, I did not expect so many negatives... Was only putting another option out there. Everyone knows Dubai has lots going for it. But I am sure there is a fair bit of negative also.

Saudi may not be for everyone, but Jeddah is a pretty laid back place, the comments about men not allowed in Malls is Rubbish. Also every week I am at one of the consulates, so getting a drink is no problem either, except it only costs 150 SR with food thrown in.

My earlier comments were not aimed at you guys but the new people looking to the middle east for work. Jeddah is a great option, I am sorry a lot of you guys have had a bad experience.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps some of the negative comments are from people who have not actually been in KSA. I was in Khamis Mushayt and had a great time, social life was hectic and great fun. We used to play rugby against a team up from Jeddah and then retired to the club for "refreshments". We had 160 people help us celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary 10 years ago to the day. We sat on the Rec Hall steps listening to first prayer call.

Absolute baldidash about men not being allowed in the malls, my husband used to take the nurses into the souq regularly with an escape plan everytime when the matawahs were sighted

Jeddah today is very laid back compared to what it was like back in 1996, I dont think I would like to do it again, getting too long in the tooth but our time there was great fun.

I like visiting Dubai to see friends but I dont think I would like to live there, but then again I might be wrong
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your responses, I did not expect so many negatives... Was only putting another option out there. Everyone knows Dubai has lots going for it. But I am sure there is a fair bit of negative also.

Saudi may not be for everyone, but Jeddah is a pretty laid back place, the comments about men not allowed in Malls is Rubbish. Also every week I am at one of the consulates, so getting a drink is no problem either, except it only costs 150 SR with food thrown in.

My earlier comments were not aimed at you guys but the new people looking to the middle east for work. Jeddah is a great option, I am sorry a lot of you guys have had a bad experience.
Sorry, not trying to be negative. I think the Kingdom is great to save and also for some people but everytime somebody approaches me with an offer and I ask them how about my wife? They always answer the same: the consulates and compound organize parties and coffee mornings. So... not an option for us.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:31 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
Sorry, not trying to be negative. I think the Kingdom is great to save and also for some people but everytime somebody approaches me with an offer and I ask them how about my wife? They always answer the same: the consulates and compound organize parties and coffee mornings. So... not an option for us.
yea, not for us as a family, but each to their own. Whatever drives you i suppose.

We have family over there justnow and after listening to some of the stories (from 2 teenagers) i wouldnt move there if i could help it. Never say never mind, because if the only way i could support my family was to take a job there, then of course id consider it.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
yea, not for us as a family, but each to their own. Whatever drives you i suppose.

We have family over there justnow and after listening to some of the stories (from 2 teenagers) i wouldnt move there if i could help it. Never say never mind, because if the only way i could support my family was to take a job there, then of course id consider it.
...and Jeddah is only a hop, skip and a jump to Addis Ababa and/or Nairobi for some recreational fun.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:36 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
...and Jeddah is only a hop, skip and a jump to Addis Ababa and/or Nairobi for some recreational fun.

I may be hopelessly out of date but Addis Ababa (or indeed anywhere in Ethiopia) isn't a place I think of as a fun destination!

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.