Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh KSA : Qualification Legislation or Attestation ?

Riyadh KSA : Qualification Legislation or Attestation ?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Five is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh KSA : Qualification Legislation or Attestation ?

I am very confused about the whole work visa process for KSA ?

My Saudi Employer has advised I need to get my qualifications 'Attested' by the Saudi Cultural Bureau ?

And in many posted and on the net, folks refer to Legalisation of documents via the FCO ?

How do I decide which is the correct route for me ?

I've contacted agents, the saudi embassy and the saudi cultural bureau......
... and putting it very (very) politely ......I cannot get a straight forward answer and I don't want to risk getting my work visa application rejected by going down the wrong route !

All help much appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:22 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh KSA : Qualification Legislation or Attestation ?

I suspect that it is similar to Kuwait attestation.

I got my certs attested by the Foreign Office. I had to get some of them attested by taking them to the Kuwait Embassy in London (to get a work permit).

I had to get them attested again in Kuwait by the British Embassy and also some Kuwait Ministry for the residency permit.

try the Saudi Embassy iin London or wherever you live.

I suspect you have to get all docs attested by FCO and some attested locally by the Saudit Embassy and again possibly some in Saudi.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

I think I got it Bijilo123, so I think you are saying that .... there is no clear rule .... and its better to cover all the bases !

Nothing like duplication of efforts !!

PS - my 3 year old son can provide better advice than the saudi embassy in london ....

....and as a friend pointed out to me the other day.... there is no such thing as 'customer services' in the middle-east !

.......(wait for the backlash .......!).
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hi Five
I think I got it Bijilo123, so I think you are saying that .... there is no clear rule .... and its better to cover all the bases !

Nothing like duplication of efforts !!

PS - my 3 year old son can provide better advice than the saudi embassy in london ....

....and as a friend pointed out to me the other day.... there is no such thing as 'customer services' in the middle-east !

.......(wait for the backlash .......!).
Its because your company PRO probably doesnt understand what is required either, and is attempting to cover himself, and delay actually having to do anything by insisting on documents you may or may not need.

Welcome to the Middle East, the capital of ass-covering and incompetence.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

.....first impressions on the Middle East tell me you could be spot on spart !
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Saudi Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very confused about the whole work visa process for KSA ?

My Saudi Employer has advised I need to get my qualifications 'Attested' by the Saudi Cultural Bureau ?

And in many posted and on the net, folks refer to Legalisation of documents via the FCO ?

How do I decide which is the correct route for me ?

I've contacted agents, the saudi embassy and the saudi cultural bureau......
... and putting it very (very) politely ......I cannot get a straight forward answer and I don't want to risk getting my work visa application rejected by going down the wrong route !

All help much appreciated.
Hey Hi Five,

Regarding the attestation that your employer requested, I just wanna let you know that some Human Resources/Payroll departments in some companies require these attested copies for salary processing after you arrive to Saudi Arabia.

I know the organization i work with require the same from all expats
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Saudi Guy
Hey Hi Five,

Regarding the attestation that your employer requested, I just wanna let you know that some Human Resources/Payroll departments in some companies require these attested copies for salary processing after you arrive to Saudi Arabia.

I know the organization i work with require the same from all expats
Thanks for the comment........In my case, I remain with the same employer and am simply moving location from UK to Riyadh. So I am just going through the motions and formalities, to be able to work in KSA.

....and just to make things even more confusing, I have now submitted my application via a London agent, and I was told by the agent that I do not need to get my qualifications FCO certified or otherwise, but simply provide photocopies.....so i did .......... I hope they are accepted.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the comment........In my case, I remain with the same employer and am simply moving location from UK to Riyadh. So I am just going through the motions and formalities, to be able to work in KSA.

....and just to make things even more confusing, I have now submitted my application via a London agent, and I was told by the agent that I do not need to get my qualifications FCO certified or otherwise, but simply provide photocopies.....so i did .......... I hope they are accepted.
Hope it work out well and they accept the copies!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no requirement for attested/legalised qualifications for your work visa, copies will do just fine as the agent told you. Some companies might require the originals to be attested/legalised for their HR procedures though (usually if they are suspicious that your degree isn't real).

However when you apply for a visa for your family then they require the qualifications attested/legalised. Don't ask me why. This is all part of the mystery of KSA. Similar to how they require passport photos for all kinds of things, but then don't use them for anything...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by norsk
There is no requirement for attested/legalised qualifications for your work visa, copies will do just fine as the agent told you. Some companies might require the originals to be attested/legalised for their HR procedures though (usually if they are suspicious that your degree isn't real).

However when you apply for a visa for your family then they require the qualifications attested/legalised. Don't ask me why. This is all part of the mystery of KSA. Similar to how they require passport photos for all kinds of things, but then don't use them for anything...
The attestation is one of the ISO requirements
and for hospitals it is a JCIA requirement.

It could get annoying sometimes though!