British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Riyadh Customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/riyadh-customs-761963/)

jimster99 Jun 17th 2012 3:26 am

Riyadh Customs

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked previously but I'm hoping for an up-to-date assessment. I want to bring in a load of Nintendo Wii, PS3, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS games with me when I come to Riyadh to stave off the boredom.

I'll also be bringing my laptop and desktop (nothing dodgy on them) but I'm a bit worried about whether the customs guys will insist on confiscating everything for a thorough search - I see this has happened in the past.

Would I be better shipping all my discs and computers with my furniture etc (which is going to arrive by container ship) or am I better carrying it myself personally through customs?

And is there a list of banned computer games anywhere so I can check for myself whether anything will get confiscated? I have bought a vast number of games and I haven't played any of them so don't know what's on them, or even if any of them are dodgy (I know the GTA games are suspect, and I do have one of those, should I leave it behind?)

Thanks!

Victor Meldrew Jun 17th 2012 8:31 am

Re: Riyadh Customs

Originally Posted by jimster99 (Post 10123363)
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked previously but I'm hoping for an up-to-date assessment. I want to bring in a load of Nintendo Wii, PS3, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS games with me when I come to Riyadh to stave off the boredom.

I'll also be bringing my laptop and desktop (nothing dodgy on them) but I'm a bit worried about whether the customs guys will insist on confiscating everything for a thorough search - I see this has happened in the past.

Would I be better shipping all my discs and computers with my furniture etc (which is going to arrive by container ship) or am I better carrying it myself personally through customs?

And is there a list of banned computer games anywhere so I can check for myself whether anything will get confiscated? I have bought a vast number of games and I haven't played any of them so don't know what's on them, or even if any of them are dodgy (I know the GTA games are suspect, and I do have one of those, should I leave it behind?)

Thanks!

It's been a whiule since I went through Riyadh customs, but from memory it can be a bit erratic. You can go through sometimes with no problems, sometimes with few probllems and sometimes with lots of problems.

Regards CDs DVDs etc I brought some music CD's in once and they checked one or 2. The one they kept was because the cover had a picture of a female on it, dancing.

Sending things through shipping is an experience in itself. When my shipping arrived, the school fixer sorted it all out (I worked in a school) and it appeared in my apartment.

I would say shipping it is best, but if any of your items have 'risque' covers or pictures, take the covers out or they may keep the whole thing.

What I would say is, dont be tempted to try and bring anything dodgy in as, if they catch you, then you could be in deep sh1t.

goonerseba Jun 17th 2012 9:54 am

Re: Riyadh Customs

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 10123601)
It's been a whiule since I went through Riyadh customs, but from memory it can be a bit erratic. You can go through sometimes with no problems, sometimes with few probllems and sometimes with lots of problems.

Regards CDs DVDs etc I brought some music CD's in once and they checked one or 2. The one they kept was because the cover had a picture of a female on it, dancing.

Sending things through shipping is an experience in itself. When my shipping arrived, the school fixer sorted it all out (I worked in a school) and it appeared in my apartment.

I would say shipping it is best, but if any of your items have 'risque' covers or pictures, take the covers out or they may keep the whole thing.

What I would say is, dont be tempted to try and bring anything dodgy in as, if they catch you, then you could be in deep sh1t.

I will second the sound advice given by Victor. The inbound security and customs at Riyadh is nothing like you experience in other parts of the world especially US, Europe & UK, but there are bag and luggage scans going on.

Purely for the hassle & aggro factor of dealing with saudi "officials" after your flight, I have never tried to sneak anything in that i thought might be contraversial. Play safe and ship them and take victors advice about the covers and stuff. No need to ship the laptop - carry that through no probs but the desktop may be better off shipped too.

good luck...:thumbup: