Riyadh Customs

Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:26 am
Just Joined

jimster99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh Customs

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked previously but I'm hoping for an up-to-date assessment. I want to bring in a load of Nintendo Wii, PS3, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS games with me when I come to Riyadh to stave off the boredom.

I'll also be bringing my laptop and desktop (nothing dodgy on them) but I'm a bit worried about whether the customs guys will insist on confiscating everything for a thorough search - I see this has happened in the past.

Would I be better shipping all my discs and computers with my furniture etc (which is going to arrive by container ship) or am I better carrying it myself personally through customs?

And is there a list of banned computer games anywhere so I can check for myself whether anything will get confiscated? I have bought a vast number of games and I haven't played any of them so don't know what's on them, or even if any of them are dodgy (I know the GTA games are suspect, and I do have one of those, should I leave it behind?)

Thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:31 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh Customs

Originally Posted by jimster99
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked previously but I'm hoping for an up-to-date assessment. I want to bring in a load of Nintendo Wii, PS3, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS games with me when I come to Riyadh to stave off the boredom.

I'll also be bringing my laptop and desktop (nothing dodgy on them) but I'm a bit worried about whether the customs guys will insist on confiscating everything for a thorough search - I see this has happened in the past.

Would I be better shipping all my discs and computers with my furniture etc (which is going to arrive by container ship) or am I better carrying it myself personally through customs?

And is there a list of banned computer games anywhere so I can check for myself whether anything will get confiscated? I have bought a vast number of games and I haven't played any of them so don't know what's on them, or even if any of them are dodgy (I know the GTA games are suspect, and I do have one of those, should I leave it behind?)

Thanks!
It's been a whiule since I went through Riyadh customs, but from memory it can be a bit erratic. You can go through sometimes with no problems, sometimes with few probllems and sometimes with lots of problems.

Regards CDs DVDs etc I brought some music CD's in once and they checked one or 2. The one they kept was because the cover had a picture of a female on it, dancing.

Sending things through shipping is an experience in itself. When my shipping arrived, the school fixer sorted it all out (I worked in a school) and it appeared in my apartment.

I would say shipping it is best, but if any of your items have 'risque' covers or pictures, take the covers out or they may keep the whole thing.

What I would say is, dont be tempted to try and bring anything dodgy in as, if they catch you, then you could be in deep sh1t.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Riyadh Customs

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
It's been a whiule since I went through Riyadh customs, but from memory it can be a bit erratic. You can go through sometimes with no problems, sometimes with few probllems and sometimes with lots of problems.

Regards CDs DVDs etc I brought some music CD's in once and they checked one or 2. The one they kept was because the cover had a picture of a female on it, dancing.

Sending things through shipping is an experience in itself. When my shipping arrived, the school fixer sorted it all out (I worked in a school) and it appeared in my apartment.

I would say shipping it is best, but if any of your items have 'risque' covers or pictures, take the covers out or they may keep the whole thing.

What I would say is, dont be tempted to try and bring anything dodgy in as, if they catch you, then you could be in deep sh1t.

I will second the sound advice given by Victor. The inbound security and customs at Riyadh is nothing like you experience in other parts of the world especially US, Europe & UK, but there are bag and luggage scans going on.

Purely for the hassle & aggro factor of dealing with saudi "officials" after your flight, I have never tried to sneak anything in that i thought might be contraversial. Play safe and ship them and take victors advice about the covers and stuff. No need to ship the laptop - carry that through no probs but the desktop may be better off shipped too.

good luck...