Reload this Page >

Riyadh: Cigars and Shoes

Riyadh: Cigars and Shoes

Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:16 pm
Ethan

EthanB will become famous soon enough
Default Riyadh: Cigars and Shoes

Hey, was hoping somebody could help -
I have large feet, apparently much larger than the average Saudi 48-49ish. Anybody know where I can buy some nice big shoes?
Also, anybody know a good cigar lounge? The only one I'm aware of is the one at Olaya and the highway. Any more recommendations with a nice lounge and a friendly atmosphere?

Thanks,
Ethan
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh: Cigars and Shoes

Yes, being a UK size 11 or 12 myself ( 46/47), I always struggle to find shoes here in Saudi, so really, tend to wait til I'm back in Blighty to get shoes, which to be honest, I find are better quality and better priced anyway.

Can't help you with the cigar lounge I'm afraid, but the prospect of one sounds great
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

I'm a 47-48 so I feel ya. There's a big and tall store on Olaya but I've never been in, they might have a good selection of large shoes. Beyond that you just have to go in places and ask, some places stock bigger sizes and some don't. I once went into one of those big CityMax retail stores and they were selling large-size leather shoes for only 30 riyals, just trying to get rid of them. Like size 15-16 US.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a pretty fancy (read: expensive) cigar lounge on the top floor of Faisaliah Tower. And the only place I've seen cigars being sold is Tamimi. They actually have a pretty good selection of smoking products.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Cigar shop in the Sheraton
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:04 am
Ethan

Thanks all for the help. Unfortunately, waiting to go back to America is a 20ish month prospect, so ordering might have to suffice.

How is the cigar shop in the Sheraton? Is it social or just retail?

Thanks,
Ethan
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

The Sheraton has a shop, decent selection, there's also a shop in the Al Khozama. The cigar lounge on the top floor of the Faisaliah Globe is indeed pricey but very comfortable - great view!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:24 pm
Ethan

thanks again all, i really appreciate the info. looking forward to trying out the various shops.
there isn't any sort of cigar club here or anything? I last lived in Seoul & most of my friends came from the Seoul Cigar Aficionado Society.

Ethan
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:33 pm
Ethan

One to add to the list that I stumbled across in my 'hood is La Vita Havana. It's a pretty nice place with a decent selection in the very large humidor. Only drawback is that it's a private club with a 4000SAR annual membership fee (which includes a locker). Before 6 you can hang out for a 60SAR fee that can be applied to snacks and drinks. I didn't have much time to stay before heading back to work, but I'll try to spend some time in the lounge soon.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Butterich is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow now thats an interesting thread. Last time I went to Riyadh I was wondering if there is any duty free cigars area at the airport like in Dubai which really has superb prices and selection. Is there anything like La Casa del Habano? How are the prices in KSA and is there any danger that cigars aren't authentic?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:30 pm
Ethan

Based on the caliber of most of the cigar shops, I'd say they're legit. I haven't seen a huge selection yet, but a decent variety. The shop by my house has a better selection of very expensive cigars too, but I'm out on the $25+ cigars. That said, prices are relatively high on the less expensive stuff.

Originally Posted by Butterich
Wow now thats an interesting thread. Last time I went to Riyadh I was wondering if there is any duty free cigars area at the airport like in Dubai which really has superb prices and selection. Is there anything like La Casa del Habano? How are the prices in KSA and is there any danger that cigars aren't authentic?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:38 pm
Ethan

RE: Casa del Habano - I just checked the website and it appears that there are 4 in KSA, including 1 just up the street from me - good news for me! Let's hope it's more reasonable.

Originally Posted by Butterich
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Butterich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EthanB
Based on the caliber of most of the cigar shops, I'd say they're legit. I haven't seen a huge selection yet, but a decent variety. The shop by my house has a better selection of very expensive cigars too, but I'm out on the $25+ cigars. That said, prices are relatively high on the less expensive stuff.
Wow $25+ cigars isn't exactly the range for my casual smoke. Got a 25 piece box of Cohiba Siglo 2 for like 800ish AED which I think is quite reasonable. About have the price compared to my home hub Germany.

La Casa del Habano? let's hope it is near my new office in Kingdom Tower.