Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh Arrival - what to expect touching down

Riyadh Arrival - what to expect touching down

Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:09 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Riyadh Arrival - what to expect touching down

right, booked the ticket, got my dates, am (finally!) on the way.

any pointers from veterans about what to expect, do, don't do, on arrival in Riyadh? am trying to compile a list of questions along the lines of;

- can i bring my laptop? (have seen some threads but no sure answer)
- can i bring my ipod?
- if you're a dual-national, do you declare the second passport? (esp if it's not of an 'endearing' country)
- can i bring any books? (have read that magazines are a touch subject and religious stuff is out)
- how long (roughly) does it take to get through customs?
- what kind of British/US items (apart from booze and pork stuff!) are most missed/prized that you can't find in KSA?

promise will post the answers to the wiki!

thx,

still.unsure (but going anyway...)
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:52 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh Arrival - what to expect touching down

Originally Posted by still.unsure
Yes, but don't leave anything suspect on the hard drive

- can i bring my ipod?
Yes

- if you're a dual-national, do you declare the second passport? (esp if it's not of an 'endearing' country)
I don't believe so, and I guess they have no way of knowing if you don't tell them anyway

- can i bring any books? (have read that magazines are a touch subject and religious stuff is out)
Yes - be careful of anything too political too. No problems with magazines as long as they're not dodgy - I regularly read business magazines on flights between Dubai and Riyadh

Queues can be long. They'll scan your stuff and if you're lucky that'll be it. If not, depends what mood they're in...

- what kind of British/US items (apart from booze and pork stuff!) are most missed/prized that you can't find in KSA?
Listernine - but I think it contains alcohol? It's very tough to find anyway... reading material too.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

right, booked the ticket, got my dates, am (finally!) on the way.

any pointers from veterans about what to expect, do, don't do, on arrival in Riyadh? am trying to compile a list of questions along the lines of;

- can i bring my ipod?

promise will post the answers to the wiki!

thx,

still.unsure (but going anyway...)
Do NOT declare that you have two passports - and make sure you only ever use the same one every time you enter/leave the Magic Kingdom.

What do you mean by "not of an 'endearing' country"? If you've used it to visit Israel, don't even bring the second passport with you, in case they search your luggage and find it - if they do, you will be deported and banned, but only after an intimate body cavity search...............
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Walkers Crisps, Twiglets . . . .

Have never found the queues to be long - usually off the plane, got luggage and through in about 20 mins/half an hour.

Good luck
N
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i met this yanki dude in a bar a few days ago, who'd worked in Saudi...he said working in saudi was like selling your soul to the devil but i guess the money side of it makes up for that :P
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:55 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Walkers Crisps, Twiglets . . . .
Is there that much difference between Walkers and Lays crisps?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, altho Lays have improved in recent years (they used to be truly foul), they are nowhere near as good as Walkers.

N
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mission
i met this yanki dude in a bar a few days ago, who'd worked in Saudi...he said working in saudi was like selling your soul to the devil but i guess the money side of it makes up for that :P
Ditto.

I would not mind going there myself, I know Dubai to Saudi would be like going from the pan into the fire, but looking at things long term, the cash side is very attractive. Also the rents are very low there as I hear from many UK and US expats in Saudi who come to Dubai on weekends.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:09 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Is there that much difference between Walkers and Lays crisps?
...with Walkers you get a choice between red or black and get drunk...but wake up with crispy hair from last night's vomit !

...with Lays you roll over and finish off with a ciggy...but wake up to crispy bed sheets !
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:14 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Do NOT declare that you have two passports - and make sure you only ever use the same one every time you enter/leave the Magic Kingdom.

What do you mean by "not of an 'endearing' country"? If you've used it to visit Israel, don't even bring the second passport with you, in case they search your luggage and find it - if they do, you will be deported and banned, but only after an intimate body cavity search...............
ok, that's interesting. i don't have any israeli stamps or anything, my second passport is from, (well, lets just say we had a rather large election last week). i'm bringing it as a fallback, but not sure how i should respond if they search my bags and find it...

(and really NOT interested in the cavity search...)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by typical
cheers, typical! just what i was looking for!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:26 am
Not an evil hypnotist

ok, that's interesting. i don't have any israeli stamps or anything, my second passport is from, (well, lets just say we had a rather large election last week). i'm bringing it as a fallback, but not sure how i should respond if they search my bags and find it...
It's fine, they love New Zealanders.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Listerine is quite easy to get hold of - all the Danube's sell it. As a smoker, I'm a bit conscious of my smokers breath and Listerine about the most effective mouth wash/breath freshener, so I always go for that.

I always see how long I can rinse for using Listerine, as it really does burn your mouth. Well, not quite literally, because then you would require urgent medical treatment and wouldn't be able to eat for weeks.( Sorry - was watching Kevin Turvey on You Tube...)

I arrived in Riyadh in early April, got into the airport late night, which was still quite busy ( but nowhere near as busy or as big as Heathrow! ), and when I stepped outside, was pleasantly surprised at the heat. I was met by one of the company brokers, picked me up , drove me to the compound which was only 10 mins way, so didn't really get a feel for anything until I ventured out into Riyadh a few days later.

You can get most things ( apart from obviously alcohol and pork - but some people will say alcohol is easily avaialble if you have the right contacts.)

I brought my laptop and iPod with no problems. Customs was fine to get through, it was the passport queue which took a while. Customs just put your luggage through an xray machine.

Book - i.e novels, fiction should be no problem.

Hows the weather in Riyadh these days? Its a lovely low 30's these in Jeddah with no humidity - fantastic!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Listerine is quite easy to get hold of - all the Danube's sell it. As a smoker, I'm a bit conscious of my smokers breath and Listerine about the most effective mouth wash/breath freshener, so I always go for that.

I always see how long I can rinse for using Listerine, as it really does burn your mouth. Well, not quite literally, because then you would require urgent medical treatment and wouldn't be able to eat for weeks.( Sorry - was watching Kevin Turvey on You Tube...)

I arrived in Riyadh in early April, got into the airport late night, which was still quite busy ( but nowhere near as busy or as big as Heathrow! ), and when I stepped outside, was pleasantly surprised at the heat. I was met by one of the company brokers, picked me up , drove me to the compound which was only 10 mins way, so didn't really get a feel for anything until I ventured out into Riyadh a few days later.

You can get most things ( apart from obviously alcohol and pork - but some people will say alcohol is easily avaialble if you have the right contacts.)

I brought my laptop and iPod with no problems. Customs was fine to get through, it was the passport queue which took a while. Customs just put your luggage through an xray machine.

Book - i.e novels, fiction should be no problem.

Hows the weather in Riyadh these days? Its a lovely low 30's these in Jeddah with no humidity - fantastic!
Evenings are chilly..............
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

NK28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I will be arriving next month - as a female coming by myself any advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.