Riyadh

Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Riyadh

Having done a search on 'Riyadh' and seen all the posts about people desperate to get out I am almost afraid to post this but here goes! Is there anyone out there who lives or has recently lived in Riyadh with pre teen children (10 and 12), dogs and cats (and husband of course!).

How is it ? This would be a quick in and out for a couple of years, is it truly as bad as it seems from previous posts ? Any comments on The British School ? Best compounds ? How would it be if we had our dogs with us ? (Can't leave them behind!). Is all the accommodation furnished ? This is the start of many, many quesitons. . . . . .

Any suggestions/ideas/comments welcome.

Thanks
Nic
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:29 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh

Hi Nik,
If you have already searched then you will know the views of most of us.

I have a friend over there at the moment working for Riyadh Bank, and he said the situation is still the same.

Your Children will hate it..no cinema, little social life, and effectively being held captive in your compound.
It would be like them being grounded for a few years
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:40 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would sooner become a rent boy and sell my ass than go there again,

Being choked to death on someone elses vomit, whilst having chillies rubbed in my eyes also sound more appealing..

However,..if you are adamant on going, the Cordoba, and Arizona are big and well protected compounds. When i say protected..when you drive in you get searched by armed men, drive past numerous gun emplacements and armoured personnel carriers...a great experience for the kids.

I mean the FCO website clearly states today that "there is a continuing high threat of terrorism in Saudi Arabia. We continue to believe that terrorists are planning further attacks, including against Westerners and places associated with Westerners in Saudi Arabia."

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...7135&x=10&y=15

If you happy to work out in Saudi, why not also consider Somalia, Angola,Columbia or Iraq??
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:12 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

So that's a no then Mr D?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:51 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by MJC
So that's a no then Mr D?
if you read between the lines then yes..
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you happy to work out in Saudi, why not also consider Somalia, Angola,Columbia or Iraq??[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks. Already done Iraq (well my husband has . . . ),

Anyone living there now with any comments ? Some nice ones would be good!

Cheers
Nic
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:40 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Nic1
If you happy to work out in Saudi, why not also consider Somalia, Angola,Columbia or Iraq??

Cheers
Nic[/QUOTE]
Nic, You will be hard pushed to find many people with nice things to say.
Anyone who replies here will have real world experience of living there.
It is not scare mongering, or over dramatisation....as i said..look at the FCO webiste for the government offical travel advice.

I appreciate you might wanna make the best of the situation, but rose tinted glasses will not reduce the risks or change the facts.

I too have done Iraq,Lebabnon, parts of West Africa etc.
IMHO its just not worth the money.
I would choose any other country on the planet over Saudi.
Many people have posted exactly the same, but if your intent on going then please stay safe, and feel free to post your thoughts after doing a few months out there.

Rgds
JD
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:45 pm
Up in the air

Cheers
Nic[/QUOTE]
What person in their right mind would put their children at risk of being blown up or shot at ??

Regardless of if the risk is small or great...i can assure you the risk is there.
I personally saw a westerner get gunned down, and had my villa damaged by bombs/hand grenade.

If you choose to put money over the safety of your family than its up to you.

I must confess, it will be an experience for the kids.....but it wont be a nice one.

Remember, 99% of the people there do not want westerners on their holy land. they barely tolerate "less holy" arabs, and treat asians like scum.

Enjoy.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:51 pm
Up in the air

The schools are good there though, albeit a bit strict..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/1874471.stm
Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Cheers
Nic
What person in their right mind would put their children at risk of being blown up or shot at ??

Regardless of if the risk is small or great...i can assure you the risk is there.
I personally saw a westerner get gunned down, and had my villa damaged by bombs/hand grenade.

I must confess, it will be an experience for the kids.....but it wont be a nice one.

Remember, 99% of the people there do not want westerners on their holy land. they barely tolerate "less holy" arabs, and treat asians like scum.

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I am asking for exactly this reason - to see if it is as bad as everyone says - putting aside the restrictions of not driving, covering up etc. I am interested in people's comments. Of course we don't put money over our children's safety, but driving them to school and activities in this place puts their lives at risk every day IMHO. Although I understand the driving is just as bad there ?

Not going in with rose tinted glasses, but are you one end of the hate it - love it spectrum ? Am off to check the website you've posted - thanks.

Cheers
Nic
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:15 pm
Up in the air

Enjoy.
I am asking for exactly this reason - to see if it is as bad as everyone says - putting aside the restrictions of not driving, covering up etc. I am interested in people's comments. Of course we don't put money over our children's safety, but driving them to school and activities in this place puts their lives at risk every day IMHO. Although I understand the driving is just as bad there ?

Not going in with rose tinted glasses, but are you one end of the hate it - love it spectrum ? Am off to check the website you've posted - thanks.

Cheers
Nic[/QUOTE]

Please dont get me wrong, as a place it "could" be great!
steeped in history and culture, the weather is good and a great tax break.

The things i dislike are the awful human rights, and their desire to kill westerners.

As i mentioned, if you go, please post your findings.

rgds
JD
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:34 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's bloody awful...I hate going back, and that's for only a few days at a time.

If you're single and want to make some cash quickly it may be OK, but even then I'd think long and hard.

Why waste a few years of your life not being able to relax, even going out to the shops is a unnerving experience.

I just hope I'm around when the oil runs out, I'll be out celebrating
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:42 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It's bloody awful...I hate going back, and that's for only a few days at a time.

If you're single and want to make some cash quickly it may be OK, but even then I'd think long and hard.

Why waste a few years of your life not being able to relax, even going out to the shops is a unnerving experience.

I just hope I'm around when the oil runs out, I'll be out celebrating
Indeed, lets see how long once the oil runs out til either:

a) Civil unrest/Anarchy

b) They realise they have learnt nothing over the last 20 years, and quietly slip back to being tribal bedu's
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Indeed, lets see how long once the oil runs out til either:

a) Civil unrest/Anarchy

b) They realise they have learnt nothing over the last 20 years, and quietly slip back to being tribal bedu's

But that could apply to the whole of ME surely ? I know Dubai is revving up it's tourism, housing etc. But feel the bubble will burst eventually.

Northern Lad - how long were you in Saudi ?

Cheers
N
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, BE's very own mystic meg!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.