British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Right and wrong way to apply!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/right-wrong-way-apply-496323/)

Barrie Nov 26th 2007 11:34 am

Right and wrong way to apply!!!!

Is there a right and a wrong way to apply for a position in the U.A.E?

I have now applied for a number of positions (20+) in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi and so far, I have received not one reply. I know that isn't a lot of applications, but some form of reply would be good.

I am supplying a cover letter and CV. Some applications I have included a photo on the CV and not on others. I have even added achievments to my CV, as I believe this is liked by U.A.E companies.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I have nearly 20 years of expereince in my field, so I thought I would be of interested to someone, but maybe I am not as sellable as I first thought. :(

Miss Eck Nov 26th 2007 11:38 am

Re: Right and wrong way to apply!!!!

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5601625)

I have now applied for a number of positions (20+) in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi and so far, I have received not one reply. I know that isn't a lot of applications, but some form of reply would be good.

I am supplying a cover letter and CV. Some applications I have included a photo on the CV and not on others. I have even added achievments to my CV, as I believe this is liked by U.A.E companies.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I have nearly 20 years of expereince in my field, so I thought I would be of interested to someone, but maybe I am not as sellable as I first thought. :(

Are you replying to actual adverts or just sending your CV on spec?

Have you tried going through an agency? They could help revamp your CV if necessary and will have access to more contacts in your field.

Barrie Nov 26th 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5601654)
Are you replying to actual adverts or just sending your CV on spec?

Have you tried going through an agency? They could help revamp your CV if necessary and will have access to more contacts in your field.

Cheers for the quick reply post.

It has been a mix, but the majority have been via agencies.
I have also spoken to them about the CV revamp bit, but like many things, it is difficult to work out if it is simply someone setting up a site to get money out of you. One company sounded good on the phone, but were after $498 to revamp the CV and post it to the top 10 agencies, but from what I can work out, I have already issued it to pretty much all of the top 10, plus others.

Any recommendations of companies to do the CV revamp would be useful. I am happy to spend the money, as long as I get the right service.

Miss Eck Nov 26th 2007 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5601709)
Cheers for the quick reply post.

It has been a mix, but the majority have been via agencies.
I have also spoken to them about the CV revamp bit, but like many things, it is difficult to work out if it is simply someone setting up a site to get money out of you. One company sounded good on the phone, but were after $498 to revamp the CV and post it to the top 10 agencies, but from what I can work out, I have already issued it to pretty much all of the top 10, plus others.

Any recommendations of companies to do the CV revamp would be useful. I am happy to spend the money, as long as I get the right service.

Don't waste your money!! Most of them will just rip you off. A CV needs to concise and well laid out.

Some agents are useless and you need to continously chase them. What sort of work are you looking for. Hopefully some of the guys can then suggest other agencies etc.

Inselaffen Nov 26th 2007 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5601625)

post what your line of work is.

some people on here have reasonable contacts

Grace O Malley Nov 26th 2007 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5601781)
post what your line of work is.

some people on here have reasonable contacts

Yes

I can help if Oil and Gas or Property Management

Inselaffen Nov 26th 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5601787)
Yes

I can help if Oil and Gas or Property Management

I can only assist if you are in shipping or Grain trading.

but there is a varied bunch on career people and their Jumeira Jane wives on here. So do tell

Barrie Nov 26th 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5601750)
Don't waste your money!! Most of them will just rip you off. A CV needs to concise and well laid out.

Some agents are useless and you need to continously chase them. What sort of work are you looking for. Hopefully some of the guys can then suggest other agencies etc.

Cheers Miss Eck.

It might seem strange me asking the above question, as I actually run a recruitment agency in the UK. I have supplied numerous personnel to campanies in the UAE, but never dealt with the UAE recruitment agencies, hence me wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I have been involved, both onshore and offshore, in the Oil & Gas industry for nearly 20 years. I am after a new challenge, but still doing the recruitment thing, but this time overseas and for either an Oil & Gas Operator or a large Oil & Gas contractor, to get me back to the sharp end of the industry working in operations again.

Miss Eck Nov 26th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5601811)
Cheers Miss Eck.

It might seem strange me asking the above question, as I actually run a recruitment agency in the UK. I have supplied numerous personnel to campanies in the UAE, but never dealt with the UAE recruitment agencies, hence me wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I have been involved, both onshore and offshore, in the Oil & Gas industry for nearly 20 years. I am after a new challenge, but still doing the recruitment thing, but this time overseas and for either an Oil & Gas Operator or a large Oil & Gas contractor, to get me back to the sharp end of the industry working in operations again.

A bit like the plumber with the leaking tap then!!!

Quite a few people on here in the industry and I am sure they can point you in the right direction

Barrie Nov 26th 2007 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5601830)
A bit like the plumber with the leaking tap then!!!

Quite a few people on here in the industry and I am sure they can point you in the right direction

The plumber acronym is spot on!!!!!

Fingers crossed there next few posting will be lots of fingers point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Madam Medusa Nov 26th 2007 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5601799)
I can only assist if you are in shipping or Grain trading.

but there is a varied bunch on career people and their Jumeira Jane wives on here. So do tell

err...who you talking about inselaffen...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Nov 26th 2007 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5601903)
err...who you talking about inselaffen...

MM, xx

can't remember her name! sure it will come back to me ;)

Madam Medusa Nov 26th 2007 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5601916)
can't remember her name! sure it will come back to me ;)

hmmm...well tonight is defo going to be fun...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Nov 26th 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5601946)
hmmm...well tonight is defo going to be fun...

MM, xx

it will do and thats without you having seen my post about your shoe and handbag collection!

Madam Medusa Nov 26th 2007 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5601949)
it will do and thats without you having seen my post about your shoe and handbag collection!

yeah...i've seen it...storing it all up...

MM, xx