Reload this Page >

Residence and work in Dubai

Residence and work in Dubai

Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

hd_geezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence and work in Dubai

Hi all,

Been doing some research for some time concerning residence in Dubai. I understand that if I buy a property in Dubai, I'm eligible for a residence visa. Cool. Eventually I'd like to leave the UK and live in Dubai. This is the plan I have in mind:

I am going to run a website, selling High Definition Digital Monitor Desktop Wallpaper downloads. I will be producing these myself and and selling them via the website. Basically selling HD images. The payment will enter my HSBC International Bank Account (just for the ease of potentially moving to Dubai). The website will be automatic, so people can view images, select, pay for and then download those which they like, and hey presto, I'm making money. Once I have enough money to buy a small property in Dubai, I'll go ahead and purchase one of my liking, and obtain a residence visa.

Now, this is where I am somewhat confused, and I've searched the web for ages but can't get any clear direction: Once I have my residence visa and I'm all settled in Dubai, and sent off my P85 making it clear I'm now a Dubai resident, etc... do I need to inform the Dubai government about my HD site? Remember, this is not a company, it's just my personal site on which I'm making some money. I mean, is it as easy as me just living in Dubai in the comfort of my small apartment and make a living via my website? Dubai is tax-free right, so is there any need to inform the government? Remember I won't be needing to open up a bank account because I'll be using an International Bank Account anyway.

And help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

hd_geezer

Last edited by hd_geezer; Mar 4th 2007 at 2:25 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:16 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence and work in Dubai

Originally Posted by hd_geezer
The website will be automatic, so people can view images, select, pay for and then download those which they like, and hey presto, I'm making money
Out of interest, what makes you think you'll be able to earn a living out of this? There are a gazillion websites offering desktop wallpaper for free. What will be special about yours that people will actually pay for it, and in sufficient numbers to allow you to buy an apartment here?

is it as easy as me just living in Dubai in the comfort of my small apartment and make a living via my website?
No idea.

Remember I won't be needing to open up a bank account because I'll be using an International Bank Account anyway
Unless you can pay for absolutely everything with cash or foreign credit cards, I can't imagine that you'll be able to live full-time out here without a local bank account.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:19 am
W10

I think in theory you need a licence to trade from here, but who knows if there are ways around it.

Does anyone know if foreign banks lend money against properties in Dubai now? And if so, why does anyone go through local companies?

Also bear in mind that Dubai is an expensive place to live, so make sure you do your sums right!

Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice...daydreaming...isn't it
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:33 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice

hd_geezer: out of interest, do you have any examples of any wallpapers? (dont worry, i dont have any plans of stealing your idea.. ) /me pats his 19" HD LCD
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Gareth, I guess I'm being optimistic, but that's me.

Also guys, I've done some more research, I think W10 is right, I've now found out that if you wanna be self employed, then you've got to have a sponsor!! What the heck is that all about?!?! Why can't I just run my own business without a sponsor, especially if I have a residence visa. Stupid rule.

More importantly, would it be illegal for me just to run my website from my apartment and not get a sponsor / partner / whatever? I don't need an office space or anything, my bedroom will do.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:46 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Gareth, I guess I'm being optimistic, but that's me.

Also guys, I've done some more research, I think W10 is right, I've now found out that if you wanna be self employed, then you've got to have a sponsor!! What the heck is that all about?!?! Why can't I just run my own business without a sponsor, especially if I have a residence visa. Stupid rule.

More importantly, would it be illegal for me just to run my website from my apartment and not get a sponsor / partner / whatever? I don't need an office space or anything, my bedroom will do.
From what I recall it is illegal to work at a "home office" you need a registered office or commercial premises to do so. You can go to the office rental companys and, I believe they'll help set it up for you - as long as you rent space from them of course.

And finally, why aren't you doing this now, if all you need is your bedroom then surely it doesn't matter where in the world you live.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:52 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Gareth, I guess I'm being optimistic, but that's me
Have you actually done any proper research to see if there's a market for your idea? Optimism's great, but nobody pays for what's easily available for free.

Why can't I just run my own business without a sponsor, especially if I have a residence visa
A residence visa only allows you to reside here. It's not a work permit - that's a separate thing.

You don't need a local sponsor if your business is based within a free zone. In your case, you'd be looking at Dubai Internet City. You may be legally required to rent or purchase office space, though, and that can be hard to come by and expensive at DIC these days. In any event, your first port of call should be the DIC free zone authority - http://www.dubaiinternetcity.com/

Last edited by Eeyore; Mar 5th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:18 am
W10

Aren't RAK in the business of offering virtual offices in freezones for a good price these days?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:43 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by W10
Does anyone know if foreign banks lend money against properties in Dubai now?
Yes they do; a friend of ours who was thinking of buying at JBR went through a broker who could find him mortgages with all sorts of foreign banks.

And if so, why does anyone go through local companies?
At a guess, because the local companies are the only ones offering the small deposits. Most foreign banks will (quite sensibly) insist on 25% and upwards. Our friend was looking to put down 40%, so he had his pick of mortgages on very favourable terms. In the end, though, he decided not to buy.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah Gareth, I've been doing a little research, but at the moment it's only an idea. But the key aspect here is that I wanna have a tax free income in Dubai via a purely online business, from the comfort of my PC. Whether it's selling e-books or digital wallpaper downloads, or selling downloadable mobile phone games, or downloadble ringtones, or even trading stocks, shares, currencies, it doesn't matter, but it has to be online. I mentioned HD wallpaper because I love art, and have been designing graphics via 3D software like Vue Infinite. I also have some experience in trading currencies, so that could be an option as well.

Thanks for the link to Dubai Internet City mate. I've just emailed them.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:35 pm
Soupy twist

But the key aspect here is that I wanna have a tax free income in Dubai via a purely online business, from the comfort of my PC
You and all the rest of us!
I wish you luck, because dude... you're going to need it
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

it won't work in my opinion. IF ANY MONEY CHANGES HANDS you have to have a trade licence, I know that for fact as that is why I make no money! nothing is straight forward in this country and I think you would be better of coming out here and finding yourself a proper job! better than living in your bedroom
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it won't work in my opinion. IF ANY MONEY CHANGES HANDS you have to have a trade licence, I know that for fact as that is why I make no money!
Hmmmm, this seems harder than at first glance. Also, how would they even find out that I'm earning money online? The money would be entering an international offshore bank account. And even if they do find out, they can't charge me for tax evasion since Dubai's tax free anyway.

Last edited by hd_geezer; Mar 5th 2007 at 2:30 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

trading illegally, unless you like prison food I wouldn't bother!!! get a job out here and do it officially!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.