British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Renting Property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/renting-property-442568/)

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 3:37 pm

Renting Property

Hi there all.

Am a new member to the forum. Am currently considering positions to come and join you all out in Dubai, and cannot wait.

Unfortunately, not knowing where I am going to be based yet, but was hoping people might be able to send me links to some leasing agents in Dubai so that I can start my homework early, emailing site links would be appreciated, have looked at some (Landmark, DB Homes).

Next will be looking at schools as am bringing my wife and children with me.

Any other additional advice that you could possibly give would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Justin:thumbup:

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 16th 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Renting Property

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4650085)
Hi there all.

Am a new member to the forum. Am currently considering positions to come and join you all out in Dubai, and cannot wait.

Unfortunately, not knowing where I am going to be based yet, but was hoping people might be able to send me links to some leasing agents in Dubai so that I can start my homework early, emailing site links would be appreciated, have looked at some (Landmark, DB Homes).

Many thanks

Firstly, try to negotiate with your company to pay for the first 2 months accomodation...thats pretty standard around there parts.

Best thing to do, check out Dubizzle.com
That will give you an idea of what is available and at what price.

It would help if you knew where you will be working as ideally its best to be closer to your office due to a w@nk road network and crazy-arse drivers

NorthernLad Apr 16th 2007 3:43 pm

Hi there all.

Many thanks

Could try http://www.gulfnews.com/classifieds/index.html

Madam Medusa Apr 16th 2007 3:44 pm

Check out this website too - it is mainly people advertising direct, so no agents fees, and they ensure that the listings are up to date which many of the other sites don't...
http://www.dubaipropertymatch.com/se...tatus=Landlord

How old are your kids? schools really do depend on where you live, but many have waiting lists so you would need to get moving...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 3:45 pm

Hi there all.

Many thanks

Welcome Justin! make sure you get a good contract with your new employer. Jammy is right, find out where your office is first and then work backwards from there! You need to start looking at schools ASAP. I will post a link to them all in a minute. Everything comes down to money out here unfortunately. Get as much housing allowance as you can, your gonna need it !!!

BC

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 3:46 pm

http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/index.asp

schools link, there are more but these are the more established ones. Emaar are opening another three in september but I don't know anything about them.

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4650114)
Check out this website too - it is mainly people advertising direct, so no agents fees, and they ensure that the listings are up to date which many of the other sites don't...
http://www.dubaipropertymatch.com/se...tatus=Landlord

How old are your kids? schools really do depend on where you live, but many have waiting lists so you would need to get moving...

MM, xx

My son is 12 (year 7) and my daughter is 10 (year 5)

W10 Apr 16th 2007 5:07 pm

Lets hope they are better run and cheaper than their property!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4650513)
Lets hope they are better run and cheaper than their property!

are you daft!!! course they won't be !!

W10 Apr 16th 2007 5:11 pm

True...Emaar - our education is as good as our construction...

What next - Nakheel to run degrees in public communication? The RTA to run courses in forward planning?

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4650529)
True...Emaar - our education is as good as our construction...

What next - Nakheel to run degrees in public communication? The RTA to run courses in forward planning?

LOL!!

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 8:57 pm

Might be a bit of a long shot, but could anybody advise as to what the rough guide would be to utility costs, with two kids and wife in the property with me

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 5:43 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4651712)
Might be a bit of a long shot, but could anybody advise as to what the rough guide would be to utility costs, with two kids and wife in the property with me

we have a two bed apartment - 300 dhs a month. In our villa we were paying 800 dhs a month, but it can vary. For some reason it is higher at the new developments.

Madam Medusa Apr 17th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4653079)
we have a two bed apartment - 300 dhs a month. In our villa we were paying 800 dhs a month, but it can vary. For some reason it is higher at the new developments.

omg, that is really cheap...ours is more 2-3k I think, but this includes the 5% Dewa charge.

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4653590)
omg, that is really cheap...ours is more 2-3k I think, but this includes the 5% Dewa charge.

MM, xx

my friend has a 4 bed on the lakes big garden 2500. I honetly think it depends where you live. and if you have a pool can be a consideration as well?

Crash Apr 17th 2007 8:40 am

What area are you in?

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4653636)
What area are you in?

Al Barsha ;)

Meow Apr 17th 2007 11:02 am

Have you missed a zero off the end there??

Border Reiver Apr 17th 2007 11:44 am

Can't help too much with villas but a two bed apartment with two adults (even if we don't always act like it) and two cats costs us 170-200 Dhs a month in DEWA. That is with a central chiller. Previously we lived in a villa and I reckon watering a very small garden added about 300 Dhs a month to that. Hot tip (no pun intended)- gardens are VERY expensive to keep.

justin riseborough Apr 17th 2007 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 4654527)
Can't help too much with villas but a two bed apartment with two adults (even if we don't always act like it) and two cats costs us 170-200 Dhs a month in DEWA. That is with a central chiller. Previously we lived in a villa and I reckon watering a very small garden added about 300 Dhs a month to that. Hot tip (no pun intended)- gardens are VERY expensive to keep.

That is good news as I hate them anyway

Thank you all for your info to date, is helping.

Am asking the question to where I will be based as the advise given earlier.

Yet another question though, have noticed that renting a villa in Mirdiff or Warqaa is cheaper than others. Is this a nice enough area, are their schools for the children nearby, and is there expats everywhere, as would not want to be too isolated.

arbroath_abroad Apr 17th 2007 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4654713)
That is good news as I hate them anyway

Thank you all for your info to date, is helping.

Am asking the question to where I will be based as the advise given earlier.

Yet another question though, have noticed that renting a villa in Mirdiff or Warqaa is cheaper than others. Is this a nice enough area, are their schools for the children nearby, and is there expats everywhere, as would not want to be too isolated.

Midiff is a great expat area. I used to live there but due to work location etc i moved to emirate hills area.

When i was at mirdif, i loved it and that was BEFORE all the new uptown centre etc was built.

If your work is around Sharjah, Mirdif is your best bet

edit: cant really advise on the schools, but there are Mirdif based parents on here, im sure they will advise

IndieG Apr 17th 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 4654260)
Have you missed a zero off the end there??

Think not. We pay the same (abt 300 dhs) on an average. The main reason why bills are low is because in centrally air conditioned apartments, the landlord foots the bill for the chiller unit (high power consumption) - this is obviously not the case with townhouses/villas.

Border Reiver Apr 17th 2007 2:34 pm

...although then you just pay for it through the maintenance charge, which gets passed on to the tenant in the rent. Still, it is something to keep in mind.

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4654798)
Think not. We pay the same (abt 300 dhs) on an average. The main reason why bills are low is because in centrally air conditioned apartments, the landlord foots the bill for the chiller unit (high power consumption) - this is obviously not the case with townhouses/villas.

husband just told me last months was 190 dhs

BC

Zannie Apr 17th 2007 5:45 pm

Utility costs in our 3-bed villa have been about 1300 per month in summer and about 500-600 per month in winter. Up until last month there were only the the two of us, so we've only been cooling one bedroom in summer... we'll be cooling the sprog's room from this summer onwards :)

Something to bear in mind when comparing costs is the municipality fee - think of it a bit like the council tax in the UK. It's levied at 5% of your annual rent, divided into 12 instalments and added to your water/electricity bill each month. They're going to get everyone in the end, but at the moment lots of people who have been living in the same place for a few years aren't being charged yet, so they're still enjoying very low utility costs (300 dhs and the like). Most new arrivals are getting hit straight away.

MJC Apr 17th 2007 6:37 pm

July 2005, DEWA bill, AED5000, yes five thousand!!

The aircon got switched off at that point

And it still was 2500 in August

Then I bought some fans

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656649)
July 2005, DEWA bill, AED5000, yes five thousand!!

The aircon got switched off at that point

And it still was 2500 in August

Then I bought some fans

you got a fan club????

MJC Apr 17th 2007 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4656662)
you got a fan club????

You can start one hon!!

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656678)
You can start one hon!!

ok will do. www.nohair.com
:lol:

MJC Apr 17th 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4656684)
ok will do. www.nohair.com

It's very worrying that you know of such websites BC!!

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656717)
It's very worrying that you know of such websites BC!!

well you know about my disasterous hair cut, next time I am going to get it cut long

MJC Apr 17th 2007 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4656723)
well you know about my disasterous hair cut, next time I am going to get it cut long

How cabn you get your haircut long?

Miss Eck Apr 17th 2007 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656732)

Are you blonde? :lol:

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656732)

I bought a wig!!! :lol:

MJC Apr 17th 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4656763)
Are you blonde? :lol:

No, I'm bald!

Miss Eck Apr 17th 2007 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656778)
No, I'm bald!

Ah, so a former blonde?!!

MJC Apr 17th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4656795)
Ah, so a former blonde?!!

No, grey!

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4656803)
No, grey!

that's honesty for you!! my wig is pink ... I am an extra from mama mia!

Miss Eck Apr 17th 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4656846)
that's honesty for you!! my wig is pink ... I am an extra from mama mia!

I have a very long blonde wig .. was forced to wear it on my hen night! You should have seen the looks I got.

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4656853)
I have a very long blonde wig .. was forced to wear it on my hen night! You should have seen the looks I got.

BE wig night out ????:lol: