Renting issue

Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

dxb501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting issue

Am 9 months into my one year contract but wish to leave now. Contract states tenant must pay 2 months rent to cancel early.
I feel this is unfair as landlord has not maintained apartment (have had rising damp on walls for 6 months, paint has been peeling off all walls, have complained many times, told would be sorted, but painters never arrived) What will happen if I vacate without paying rent?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting issue

Originally Posted by dxb501
Am 9 months into my one year contract but wish to leave now. Contract states tenant must pay 2 months rent to cancel early.
I feel this is unfair as landlord has not maintained apartment (have had rising damp on walls for 6 months, paint has been peeling off all walls, have complained many times, told would be sorted, but painters never arrived) What will happen if I vacate without paying rent?
Which country and state/territory/department are you in?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Dubai, U.A.E, sorry!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai, U.A.E, sorry!
Hi, and welcome to BE! I'll move your thread into the Middle East forum, as you may get more information in there
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

woops, i knew i did something wrong!! thankyou so much!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately welcome to the world of being a landlord in the uae, you can ask but doubt very much that you will get anything back, but no harm in asking...! if you vacate before your 12 months are up you will not get any money back anyways even if you give the 2 months notice that will take you up to 11 months so you are arguing over 1 month.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Its the UAE, all realestate contracts are skewed in favour of the landlords. You should just walk away. Unfortunately the terms and conditions were there when you signed up.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your feedback, i forgot to mention that my rental cheque for jan-march bounced (because of signature verification, not lack of funds) so LL actually dosent have any of my money apart from secuirty deposit.....think i will just go and try to negotiate!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your feedback, i forgot to mention that my rental cheque for jan-march bounced (because of signature verification, not lack of funds) so LL actually dosent have any of my money apart from secuirty deposit.....think i will just go and try to negotiate!
well then he can bounce the cheque 3 times and then go to the police and you can be in big trouble, as you still have to pay up even though he has given you multiple cheques your contract is for the year, no matter how you pay him you are still liable for the whole amount, unless of course he is feeling generous, but then if your cheque bounced.....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:37 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should take him a box of Patchi & try to get that cheque sorted;surely if you have been in DXB for 5 years you know the perils of rubber cheques??.
Re the lack of maintainence;sorry but it's rather late in the day to cite that as grounds for deserting Contract.Had you complained to him,audit trailed it and consulted with RERA at the time and certainly much earlier than now, then perhaps you would have been in a stronger bargaining position.Damage limitation exercise now I think.If he forgives the cheque issue I think your best option is to sweet talk the security deposit back and move on.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you want to leave Dubai now, or just the flat? If the latter just stick it out for three more months. Time goes by quickly.

Alternative is to find a sublet for the flat? Check with the landlord first, of course, but if you tell him you have to leave the country and there's no funds to pay the rest of the rent he may be willing to accept a short term tenant.

Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eva
I think you should take him a box of Patchi & try to get that cheque sorted;surely if you have been in DXB for 5 years you know the perils of rubber cheques??.
Good advice. you could be headed to gaol very quickly if you don't sort this out. Bouncing a cheque is a criminal offence, if and when the landlord takes the matter to the police.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Re the lack of maintainence;sorry but it's rather late in the day to cite that as grounds for deserting Contract.Had you complained to him,audit trailed it and consulted with RERA at the time and certainly much earlier than now, then perhaps you would have been in a stronger bargaining position.Damage limitation exercise now I think.If he forgives the cheque issue I think your best option is to sweet talk the security deposit back and move on.
good advice
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

something not quite right here. Troll alert?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
I don't think it's a criminal offence to have a cheque rejected by the bank due the signature? I mean, you're at the mercy of the guy approving the sig.

That's a different case than a bounced cheque due lack of funds surely which is entirely in your control.

Well, it should be anyway....otherwise this place continues to amaze me at how f.ucked up it can be.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 18th 2010 at 6:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.