Renting in Dubai

Old May 2nd 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Renting in Dubai

... and here's the Landmark review released today in the press showing the decline in Q1 for Dubai apartments by area:

http://blogs.thenational.ae/crane_country/
Old May 11th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Apologies if this has been discussed anywhere, I couldn't find anything that addressed this particular point.

My prospective Dubai employer is proposing to pay my housing allowance monthly in advance rather than in one go or in 3/4 installments. I am concerned that I will not find many landlords willing to take monthly payment so I will end up having to stump up 2 or 3 months rent myself (also that I will be in a weak bargaining position). Can anyone advise what the current state of play is like? I am in the market for a 3 bed villa, 130-200k range.

Thanks,

MI.
Old May 12th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miuser2
Apologies if this has been discussed anywhere, I couldn't find anything that addressed this particular point.

My prospective Dubai employer is proposing to pay my housing allowance monthly in advance rather than in one go or in 3/4 installments. I am concerned that I will not find many landlords willing to take monthly payment so I will end up having to stump up 2 or 3 months rent myself (also that I will be in a weak bargaining position). Can anyone advise what the current state of play is like? I am in the market for a 3 bed villa, 130-200k range.

Thanks,

MI.
Go back to your employer and tell him what you require , he will be well aware of the rental situation , if you don't all the risk will be with yourself .

Negotiate with him , it's the best option , you've got a better chance with your employer than some 2 bob mickey mouse landlord / rental agent.
Old May 12th 2010, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Go back to your employer and tell him what you require , he will be well aware of the rental situation ,
Thanks for the reply CDB, unfortunately my employer is US based and is not aware of the rental situation, hence my question. I have talked to several agents and they seem to be of the opinion that it's 3 or 4 cheques or nothing, monthly is not a runner, is this definitely the case now?
Old May 12th 2010, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are more likely to get 12 cheques with an apartment than for a villa. It *is* possible to find a villa landlord who will accept 12 cheques but your better bet is to find a roomy apartment.

Thanks for the reply CDB, unfortunately my employer is US based and is not aware of the rental situation, hence my question. I have talked to several agents and they seem to be of the opinion that it's 3 or 4 cheques or nothing, monthly is not a runner, is this definitely the case now?
Old May 12th 2010, 3:43 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

No disrespect, mate, but how about sending your employer copies of the ads for property, showing that the best you'll get is 3 or 4 cheques. You can then possibly get them to agree to pay you your accommodation allowance quarterly in advance..
Old May 12th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

With a lot of Etihad staff vacating villas etc soon..they have just all been told that Etihad staff HAVE to live in Abu Dhabi and wont get housing allowance anymore if they continue to live in Dubai. apparently a lot of pilots and senior staff etc bought property in Dubai and used the allowance to repay the housing loan. So might be a whole lot more to rent soon too.
Old May 13th 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Talk about putting people in a real financial jam....

Originally Posted by Arcadia
With a lot of Etihad staff vacating villas etc soon..they have just all been told that Etihad staff HAVE to live in Abu Dhabi and wont get housing allowance anymore if they continue to live in Dubai. apparently a lot of pilots and senior staff etc bought property in Dubai and used the allowance to repay the housing loan. So might be a whole lot more to rent soon too.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Tulkyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

What are peoples thoughts on International City or Silicone Oasis as rental areas?
Old May 13th 2010, 9:02 am
Account Closed

International city ain't known as International Shitty for nothing. The place is built right next to a sewage treatment plant and periodically gets flooded with raw sewage. Yep.

During the boom when even studios in Int'l city were fetching 60K AED there were a fair amount of Westerners holed up there. But times are a'changin and the place is now mostly a low income preserve. Lots of companies are renting units for their workers, shacked up four to a room.

Silicon Oasis is supposedly more reputable.

If you are looking for someplace cheap, consider Discovery Gardens.

Originally Posted by Tulkyuk
What are peoples thoughts on International City or Silicone Oasis as rental areas?
Old May 13th 2010, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ethos83
International city ain't known as International Shitty for nothing. The place is built right next to a sewage treatment plant and periodically gets flooded with raw sewage. Yep.

During the boom when even studios in Int'l city were fetching 60K AED there were a fair amount of Westerners holed up there. But times are a'changin and the place is now mostly a low income preserve. Lots of companies are renting units for their workers, shacked up four to a room.

Silicon Oasis is supposedly more reputable.

If you are looking for someplace cheap, consider Discovery Gardens.
Thanks for that - I will be working in Silicone Oasis, so what are peoples suggestions for rental in the area and is it as bad as some people say for driving over there, as if its ok then i should think anywhere commutable will be fine.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tulkyuk
Thanks for that - I will be working in Silicone Oasis, so what are peoples suggestions for rental in the area and is it as bad as some people say for driving over there, as if its ok then i should think anywhere commutable will be fine.
Drivings shit , even if you drive 10 yards , there's not a day goes by in the middle east that i don't get shocked by the standard of driving or lack of any kind of standard in fact.

Pigs don't fly they say, but they certainly drive out here..........!
Old May 13th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Drivings shit , even if you drive 10 yards , there's not a day goes by in the middle east that i don't get shocked by the standard of driving or lack of any kind of standard in fact.

Pigs don't fly they say, but they certainly drive out here..........!
So how do most people get about then??