Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What is your situation?
You are given a company property to reside in
19.44%
You are given an allowance which COVERS your rent
44.44%
You are given an allowance that doesn't COVER rent
13.89%
Gross monthly salary and get a bank loan to cover rent
11.11%
Self Employed
13.89%
Villa Share
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

The Rent Poll

Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Rent Poll

Originally Posted by GarethR
But the big difference is likely to be that in Singapore, you pay rent monthly, not annually, right?

That makes a huge difference to affordability. It's not the amount of the rent that's the issue for me - as I've said before, we could actually afford to pay *more* in rent and still do OK - it's the fact that it has to be paid a year in advance, and the only way to do that is for us to take an interest-bearing bank loan.

Arguably, expats also get more back in Singapore. Yes, they pay tax, but it's at a low rate and it entitles them to all sorts of benefits that just don't exist here. There's also a world-class public transport system. We'd certainly think about Singapore as our next destination should the opportunity arise.

It's interesting looking at the Far East section of this board; there are a number of people living in Singapore who used to live here, and they all say they prefer Singapore to Dubai. The feeling seems to be that yes, it's expensive, but you get a better quality of life than here.
I've been to Singapore a couple of times with work and talked to our employees over there, I can only agree with your last statement, I don't really know why but it just "feels" a better place.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
I've been to Singapore a couple of times with work and talked to our employees over there, I can only agree with your last statement, I don't really know why but it just "feels" a better place.
Some important reasons why Singapore "feels" better are: that they have a proper legal system, there is no difference between the way citizens and non citizens are treated, workers/employee rights are protected, there is no fear of a labour ban, greater freedom to change jobs etc..... the list goes on. All this creates a far greater sense of security there than in the UAE.

Last edited by IndieG; Dec 16th 2007 at 2:44 am. Reason: Grammar...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Some important reasons why Singapore "feels" better is that they have a proper legal system, there is no difference between the way citizens and non citizens are treated, workers/employee rights are protected, there is no fear of a labour ban, greater freedom to change jobs etc..... the list goes on. All this creates a far greater sense of security there than in the UAE.
Exactly...It's almost utopic over there...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Exactly...It's almost utopic over there...
chewing gum bank though!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
chewing gum bank though!
Do you have to take a loan from a bank to afford some?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Do you have to take a loan from a bank to afford some?
Hmm clearly I meant ban!

hey ho. off on hols tomorrow! enjoy Hyd - checked out the weather on bbc.co.uk, looking good
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jvr20
Hmm clearly I meant ban!
I know... Anyway, I actually thought the ban was a good idea considering what prompted them to do it....

Enjoy your hols to!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

belbest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
thanks Shakh, let's hope this makes things alot clearer for people who are planning on moving out here
How can I view the rent poll?
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belbest
How can I view the rent poll?

Go to top of page and click on ''View Poll Results'' right hand under poll box.