Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increases after first year - law now?

Rent increases after first year - law now?

Old May 29th 2012, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rent increases after first year - law now?

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Ok..here is RERA page with the latest updates.
Just put your info in and it will tell you what the rents should be in your area.

http://www.rpdubai.ae/rpdubai/rental...ator.do?lang=0

It isn't easy to do..type in bur dubai and then you will get a drop down window so you can put your area in!!

eg
Tenancy Contract Expiry Date : Choose expiry date
Main Area : bur dubai
Property Type : villa
Areas : al barsha
Bed Rooms : 4
Current Annual Rent: ******

The rent for a four bedroom villa in Al Barsha - Individual is in the range 130,000 to 150,000 AED per year.
Your rent is less than or equal to 25% of the average similar rent in the area.
So you are not entitled to any increase of rent.
Great tip, but am I being dumb.... any idea why i cant see Arabian Ranches on this site under Areas........?
Old May 30th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lehoff
Great tip, but am I being dumb.... any idea why i cant see Arabian Ranches on this site under Areas........?
this is what RERA say...
the rent for a Three bedrooms Villa in Arabian Ranches is in the range 110000 to 170000 AED per year.

tell me how much you pay and how many bedrooms and I will copy paste the info unless this works

http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/...culatorEN.aspx

It is easy.... type in area "freehold" type "villa" then click on dropdown "area" and select arabian ranches then put bedrooms and then current rent

Last edited by Patsy Stoned; May 30th 2012 at 9:59 am.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
this is what RERA say...
the rent for a Three bedrooms Villa in Arabian Ranches is in the range 110000 to 170000 AED per year.

tell me how much you pay and how many bedrooms and I will copy paste the info unless this works

http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/...culatorEN.aspx

It is easy.... type in area "freehold" type "villa" then click on dropdown "area" and select arabian ranches then put bedrooms and then current rent
Much obliged for the response Patsy, the website was obviously playing up yesterday as it was just jammed on the same areas, no matter i can see it now but it tells me the website is updating the retail index..... grrrrrr

Basically my land lord put my 3 bed villa rent down last year from 165k to 155k, he is now asking 165k again.... whilst thats more than 5% its not more than the first year. Sadly our own estates department seems to be oblivious to any rulings and are advising me to accept it. Why oh why doesnt this country have clear and transparent guidelines to anything.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lehoff
Much obliged for the response Patsy, the website was obviously playing up yesterday as it was just jammed on the same areas, no matter i can see it now but it tells me the website is updating the retail index..... grrrrrr

Basically my land lord put my 3 bed villa rent down last year from 165k to 155k, he is now asking 165k again.... whilst thats more than 5% its not more than the first year. Sadly our own estates department seems to be oblivious to any rulings and are advising me to accept it. Why oh why doesnt this country have clear and transparent guidelines to anything.
Show him this... the rent for a Three bedrooms Villa in Arabian Ranches is in the range 110000 to 170000 AED per year.

Maybe ask him to take 160k and pay in 4 cheques. Good luck.

Last edited by Patsy Stoned; May 30th 2012 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

And the award for 'Most Complicated Thread To Follow' goes to............

Some good advice here, no doubt (Patsy - you are a changed woman!) but it's all too much for my little brain.

I have already made up my mind - if my renewal quote (March next year) is reasonable, I'm staying - if it isn't, there are plenty of alternatives.

And no, I don't believe rents are now rising again - good places in popular areas are snapped up quickly, I know, but there were always elements of that, but there is still a plentiful oversupply of available places.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
And the award for 'Most Complicated Thread To Follow' goes to............

Some good advice here, no doubt (Patsy - you are a changed woman!) but it's all too much for my little brain.

I have already made up my mind - if my renewal quote (March next year) is reasonable, I'm staying - if it isn't, there are plenty of alternatives.

And no, I don't believe rents are now rising again - good places in popular areas are snapped up quickly, I know, but there were always elements of that, but there is still a plentiful oversupply of available places.
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment ..I have always, where possible, tried to help people, unless they are total twats.

My landlord actually put my rent down this year without us even discussing it
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, my (AD) landlord sent the customary 5% increase to me this year. I sent the customary "we're not paying any increase" letter. They expressed the customary surprise and then made the customary agreement not to increase the rent.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by csdf
FWIW, my (AD) landlord sent the customary 5% increase to me this year. I sent the customary "we're not paying any increase" letter. They expressed the customary surprise and then made the customary agreement not to increase the rent.
Is your landlord one of the big property management companies? If so, are you willing to say which one? I'm asking as my (also AD) landlord sent me a similar letter recently, and I'm just about to start my arguments with them against an increase (this is the first time I have renewed over here). If you've had some success with the same people it would be useful to know. Many thanks.