British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Rent increase laws (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/rent-increase-laws-509732/)

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 10:56 am

Rent increase laws

Hey, anyone know how much a landlord's allowed to raise the rent by? As in what percentage? I've heard of some weird law that one cant even get rid of the tentants after the end of the contract without a valid reason (and the reason cant be rent increase)

Paidtoplease Jan 28th 2008 10:57 am

Re: Rent increase laws

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5848386)
Hey, anyone know how much a landlord's allowed to raise the rent by? As in what percentage? I've heard of some weird law that one cant even get rid of the tentants after the end of the contract without a valid reason (and the reason cant be rent increase)

It's at 5% this year

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5848390)
It's at 5% this year

So even if the market rate's like much more than that.. I still cant get anymore than 5% from the current tenants?
Can I get rid of em and get new ones at a better rent?

Paidtoplease Jan 28th 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5848397)
So even if the market rate's like much more than that.. I still cant get anymore than 5% from the current tenants?

They could take you to the rent committee and if you loose then you pay the cost, you could approach the committee and ask them to review the rent to see if but that is not to say that they will change ot within the year and you will need to put down 3% of anual rent to apply for a hearing, so ask yourself it it is worth it ???

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5848405)
They could take you to the rent committee and if you loose then you pay the cost, you could approach the committee and ask them to review the rent to see if but that is not to say that they will change ot within the year and you will need to put down 3% of anual rent to apply for a hearing, so ask yourself it it is worth it ???

well that sucks..!! no way around it?

Paidtoplease Jan 28th 2008 11:05 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5848413)
well that sucks..!! no way around it?

Only if you are moving into the property yourself or your family or if you wish to demolish it (and they will check) I don't know all the ins and out's so maybe see other peoples opinions, there are some others here that rent out property as I may be off the mark, it is just what I think I know.

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5848425)
Only if you are moving into the property yourself or your family or if you wish to demolish it (and they will check) I don't know all the ins and out's so maybe see other peoples opinions, there are some others here that rent out property as I may be off the mark, it is just what I think I know.

Alright. Thanks a bunch. Appreciate it.
Will definitely ask around.

Dubai Knight Jan 28th 2008 11:11 am

The market rate is set by the 5% government capping. This applies for a period of 24 months so if the rent is increased by the statutory 5% this year, the landlord cannot increase again next year.

As for moving tenants out; the landlord renews the contract every year and, if the tenant wishes to renew and is able to make the rent, (many now demand 1 cheque to make it harder for the tenant to find the cash) he has first refusal. Any attempt to move a sitting tenant out, even at the end of a contract, under spurious grounds (renovation etc.) is eligible for review by the Municipality Rent Tribunal. If they deem the reason unfair, then the landlord will be forced to allow the tenants to remain at the current rate and they may even impose a fine.

There is a plan afoot to grade all private properties in Dubai with a star system like hotels based on their location, facility and age. Each star grade will then have a set maximum and minimum rent the landlord is allowed to charge.

The spiralling rent situation in Dubai has been one of the major causes of an unprecedented 13% inflation rate, however the landlords seem unconcerned that it is screwing up their country, rather than lining their pockets in the short term.

:mad::mad::mad:

Knight

lionheart Jan 28th 2008 11:11 am

So we have one of those nasty unscrupulous Landlords among us...next we will be getting a driver of one of those crazy Landcruisers with the tinted glass and permanently flashing lights!

Paidtoplease Jan 28th 2008 11:11 am

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10184248.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10182221.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10183841.html

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 11:18 am

jeez, Im sorry?
:)

Thanks for the input though.. really appreciate it

PS. I dont drive a Land Cruiser and I dont have tints

MataHari Jan 28th 2008 11:19 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5848483)
jeez, Im sorry?
:)

Thanks for the input though.. really appreciate it

PS. I dont drive a Land Cruiser and I dont have tints

I misread that last word...

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 11:21 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5848486)
I misread that last word...

haha...
its T I N T S. Black outs.. the kind ppl use on their cars..!!! tsk tsk

MataHari Jan 28th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5848497)
haha...
its T I N T S. Black outs.. the kind ppl use on their cars..!!! tsk tsk

still...you don't have tits either

zamboooka Jan 28th 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5848506)
still...you don't have tits either

umm yes.. but that'd be TMI?? Really dont think the discussion was about THAT..
crazy person you!
haha