Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase laws

Rent increase laws

Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:56 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold
Default Rent increase laws

Hey, anyone know how much a landlord's allowed to raise the rent by? As in what percentage? I've heard of some weird law that one cant even get rid of the tentants after the end of the contract without a valid reason (and the reason cant be rent increase)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent increase laws

Originally Posted by zamboooka
Hey, anyone know how much a landlord's allowed to raise the rent by? As in what percentage? I've heard of some weird law that one cant even get rid of the tentants after the end of the contract without a valid reason (and the reason cant be rent increase)

It's at 5% this year
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:58 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
It's at 5% this year
So even if the market rate's like much more than that.. I still cant get anymore than 5% from the current tenants?
Can I get rid of em and get new ones at a better rent?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

So even if the market rate's like much more than that.. I still cant get anymore than 5% from the current tenants?
They could take you to the rent committee and if you loose then you pay the cost, you could approach the committee and ask them to review the rent to see if but that is not to say that they will change ot within the year and you will need to put down 3% of anual rent to apply for a hearing, so ask yourself it it is worth it ???
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:02 am
Viva la revolucion..

They could take you to the rent committee and if you loose then you pay the cost, you could approach the committee and ask them to review the rent to see if but that is not to say that they will change ot within the year and you will need to put down 3% of anual rent to apply for a hearing, so ask yourself it it is worth it ???
well that sucks..!! no way around it?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

well that sucks..!! no way around it?

Only if you are moving into the property yourself or your family or if you wish to demolish it (and they will check) I don't know all the ins and out's so maybe see other peoples opinions, there are some others here that rent out property as I may be off the mark, it is just what I think I know.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:07 am
Viva la revolucion..

Only if you are moving into the property yourself or your family or if you wish to demolish it (and they will check) I don't know all the ins and out's so maybe see other peoples opinions, there are some others here that rent out property as I may be off the mark, it is just what I think I know.
Alright. Thanks a bunch. Appreciate it.
Will definitely ask around.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Dubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really nice

The market rate is set by the 5% government capping. This applies for a period of 24 months so if the rent is increased by the statutory 5% this year, the landlord cannot increase again next year.

As for moving tenants out; the landlord renews the contract every year and, if the tenant wishes to renew and is able to make the rent, (many now demand 1 cheque to make it harder for the tenant to find the cash) he has first refusal. Any attempt to move a sitting tenant out, even at the end of a contract, under spurious grounds (renovation etc.) is eligible for review by the Municipality Rent Tribunal. If they deem the reason unfair, then the landlord will be forced to allow the tenants to remain at the current rate and they may even impose a fine.

There is a plan afoot to grade all private properties in Dubai with a star system like hotels based on their location, facility and age. Each star grade will then have a set maximum and minimum rent the landlord is allowed to charge.

The spiralling rent situation in Dubai has been one of the major causes of an unprecedented 13% inflation rate, however the landlords seem unconcerned that it is screwing up their country, rather than lining their pockets in the short term.

Knight
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

So we have one of those nasty unscrupulous Landlords among us...next we will be getting a driver of one of those crazy Landcruisers with the tinted glass and permanently flashing lights!
BE Forum Addict

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10184248.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10182221.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10183841.html
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:18 am
Viva la revolucion..

jeez, Im sorry?

Thanks for the input though.. really appreciate it

PS. I dont drive a Land Cruiser and I dont have tints
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

jeez, Im sorry?

Thanks for the input though.. really appreciate it

PS. I dont drive a Land Cruiser and I dont have tints
I misread that last word...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:21 am
Viva la revolucion..

Originally Posted by MataHari
I misread that last word...
haha...
its T I N T S. Black outs.. the kind ppl use on their cars..!!! tsk tsk
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:22 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

haha...
its T I N T S. Black outs.. the kind ppl use on their cars..!!! tsk tsk
still...you don't have tits either
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:24 am
Viva la revolucion..

Originally Posted by MataHari
still...you don't have tits either
umm yes.. but that'd be TMI?? Really dont think the discussion was about THAT..
crazy person you!
haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.