Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

relocating to Petra Jordan or Damascus, Syria

relocating to Petra Jordan or Damascus, Syria

Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:38 am
Just Joined

DebsinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point
Question relocating to Petra Jordan or Damascus, Syria

Can anyone give me some information on living in Petra or Damascus...I'm interested in housing, obviously or schooling. We are trying to decide between the two. Are they tax free countries? Should we take a car? What part of cities should we look to live in...thank you
Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:42 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relocating to Petra Jordan or Damascus, Syria

Originally Posted by DebsinDoha
Can anyone give me some information on living in Petra or Damascus...I'm interested in housing, obviously or schooling. We are trying to decide between the two. Are they tax free countries? Should we take a car? What part of cities should we look to live in...thank you
Hi Debs, None of the regular posters live their, but some of them may have lived there before.
Check back in a while and hopefully there should be some response.
Please bear in mind its the weekend here...give it a day or two.
Rgds
JD
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DebsinDoha
Debs,

I'm new to the forum but I can hopefully give some insight as probably the sole British expat in Jordan

Housing is plentiful here in Amman and some good deals to be had, as for Petra, no idea but could be the same. As for schools, good international schools exist but local recomendation helps.

Income is tax free if you work for a foreign registered company in Jordan, local wages are taxed.

The majot problem with cars here is the lack of lead free petrol, make sure that your car runs on leaded petrol as most of the world is now on unleaded.

Any other British expats in Amman out there?

Regards

Andrew
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Hello,
I am a Jordanian studying in Britian, just seen your post, if your question was Amman or Damascus, I would say Amman, but Petra, forget it, it's a small touristic town which is about 4 hours far from Amman, no english schools, not well served, its only good to visit for site seeing.
Damascus is similar to Amman but Amman is more modern, with better services , ifra-structre..etc.
Bet Andrew there are several places in Amman where you can find unleaded petrol though not widely available , you can expect the same in Damascus.
hopes this helps.
Cheers,
Ibraheem

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Debs,

I'm new to the forum but I can hopefully give some insight as probably the sole British expat in Jordan

Housing is plentiful here in Amman and some good deals to be had, as for Petra, no idea but could be the same. As for schools, good international schools exist but local recomendation helps.

Income is tax free if you work for a foreign registered company in Jordan, local wages are taxed.

The majot problem with cars here is the lack of lead free petrol, make sure that your car runs on leaded petrol as most of the world is now on unleaded.

Any other British expats in Amman out there?

Regards

Andrew
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:01 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
Hello,
I am a Jordanian studying in Britian, just seen your post, if your question was Amman or Damascus, I would say Amman, but Petra, forget it, it's a small touristic town which is about 4 hours far from Amman, no english schools, not well served, its only good to visit for site seeing.
Damascus is similar to Amman but Amman is more modern, with better services , ifra-structre..etc.
Bet Andrew there are several places in Amman where you can find unleaded petrol though not widely available , you can expect the same in Damascus.
hopes this helps.
Cheers,
Ibraheem
Nice one guys, its good to have some postings from people in other GCC/ME countries !!

welcome to the forum !!!

Regards
JD
Old Apr 11th 2005, 3:47 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Nice one guys, its good to have some postings from people in other GCC/ME countries !!

welcome to the forum !!!

Regards
JD
I drove by petra on my way to Aqaba a few months ago...whole lot of nothing there...definitely not a place i'd want to live full time.

Live in aqaba and commute, aqaba is awesome.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:48 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
Hello,
hopes this helps.
Cheers,
Ibraheem
I do agree with Ibraheem, Amman would be much better for living and life in Jordan is much better than Syria, its not that there is anything wrong in syria, its actually amaizing but as a tourist destination.

I would also suggest Jordan as you will find more english speaking ppl there.

Education is very important in jordan and they have some really good schools and universities.

Housing is relatively cheap and u can find some really good locations with bargain prices.