Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Redundancies and 12 month leases

Redundancies and 12 month leases

Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:00 am
Just Joined

AUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really nice
Default Redundancies and 12 month leases

First post- But I guess relevant to a few members given the current slow down of construction in Dubai and the ever increasing threat of redundancy.
My landlord has just sent me a reminder for the next 12 months rent, a mere 140,000dhs for a Springs villa (Bargain). OK I give him the cheque, then lose my job next week. What would be the usual procedure to get a refund on the unused rent.
Guess many will be in this position soon given the mess the developers have created for themselves. Please discuss
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redundancies and 12 month leases

Originally Posted by AUHJohn
First post- But I guess relevant to a few members given the current slow down of construction in Dubai and the ever increasing threat of redundancy.
My landlord has just sent me a reminder for the next 12 months rent, a mere 140,000dhs for a Springs villa (Bargain). OK I give him the cheque, then lose my job next week. What would be the usual procedure to get a refund on the unused rent.
Guess many will be in this position soon given the mess the developers have created for themselves. Please discuss
Must admit have got the same worry coming up, but I am trying for Saudi and will keep the apt on if all works out
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

depends on your lease, but normally you have to give three months notice to vacate, but at the end of the day it is down to the landlord. I am pretty sure he would happily refund you rent then re rent the property at some inflated price.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

ask the landlord he can be difficult and stick to the lease term, but if he thinks that he can re rent it at a higher price then he will but quite often they say that you have to find the new tenant and then you get back the difference etc.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:29 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

No precedence to rely on here and very much ad hoc basis but why not offer in two cheques?Just a suggestion.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

saleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nice

Re-renting maybe difficult in these troubles times and I hear rents are on the decrease
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
depends on your lease, but normally you have to give three months notice to vacate, but at the end of the day it is down to the landlord. I am pretty sure he would happily refund you rent then re rent the property at some inflated price.
With a complete lack on integrity in a rising market, do you honestly think that a good proportion of landlords will have even a grain of integrity in a falling market?

For any break of lease, expect the landlord to keep all the rent you have given them, then probably file a police report when your next rent cheques bounces (they will of course have already re rented the property to someone else as soon as you vacated).
I am sure some landlords will be reasonable, but don't expect it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy answer

Get a loan for the full amount, when you are made redundant skip the Country, that way the bank loses out not you. Bingo
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qataruser
Easy answer

Get a loan for the full amount, when you are made redundant skip the Country, that way the bank loses out not you. Bingo
yep, recommend people to break the law and leave them open to instant arrest and imprisonment should they ever enter the country again.

Thats got to be good advice...

F@£K it, why not just kill your landlord and be done with it..
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
With a complete lack on integrity in a rising market, do you honestly think that a good proportion of landlords will have even a grain of integrity in a falling market?

For any break of lease, expect the landlord to keep all the rent you have given them, then probably file a police report when your next rent cheques bounces (they will of course have already re rented the property to someone else as soon as you vacated).
I am sure some landlords will be reasonable, but don't expect it.
What he said.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

AUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really nice

Easy answer

The problem with bank loans, the banks require your company to agree to pay any funds due to you on termination directly to repay the loan, and also to notify the bank if you are leaving.
The banks will freeze your account for good measure once they know you are on notice.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AUHJohn;7043552]The problem with bank loans, the banks require your company to agree to pay any funds due to you on termination directly to repay the loan, and also to notify the bank if you are leaving.

thats not quite true, the company usually gives you a letter of no but it does usually have the saying in it that they will not be responsible for your debt etc, so its all down to you.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alen1
What he said.
And you are saying what exactly......?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:10 am
W10

Originally Posted by saleca
Re-renting maybe difficult in these troubles times and I hear rents are on the decrease
If he has just rented a Springs villa for 140k, i'd say rents have already decreased.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy answer

Didn't you know that the CID regularly monitor all expat web sites over here so expect to be on their black list pretty damned quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.