Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Recycling Dubai - help!

Recycling Dubai - help!

Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

QTtalkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recycling Dubai - help!

Hey - Im a teacher who started living/working here around 10 weeks ago. I'm trying to set up a school Eco committee where the kids are involved in working together to make the school more envionmentally friendly. The amount of paper we're wasting is unreal so I thought we'd start by putting paper bins in each class/office and recycling them... In Scotland we did this and a company collected our waste each week to be recycled. Problem is that I'm not sure if there are any companies here that would help us with that kind of thing??? I've mailed a couple already but they arent subsidised by the government and so charge a lot and usually only work with large companies. Sorry for the majorly long rambling post but basically - does anyone know of a company that would collect large amounts of paper to be recycled on a weekly/2weekly basis?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:24 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling Dubai - help!

Originally Posted by QTtalkin
Hey - Im a teacher who started living/working here around 10 weeks ago. I'm trying to set up a school Eco committee where the kids are involved in working together to make the school more envionmentally friendly. The amount of paper we're wasting is unreal so I thought we'd start by putting paper bins in each class/office and recycling them... In Scotland we did this and a company collected our waste each week to be recycled. Problem is that I'm not sure if there are any companies here that would help us with that kind of thing??? I've mailed a couple already but they arent subsidised by the government and so charge a lot and usually only work with large companies. Sorry for the majorly long rambling post but basically - does anyone know of a company that would collect large amounts of paper to be recycled on a weekly/2weekly basis?
Why not start by not wasting the paper in the first place?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

speak to Nils at the organic cafe - he might be able to help. [email protected]
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rowell
Why not start by not wasting the paper in the first place?
Well u obviously have no idea what goes on in a school in the first place to make such a smart assed reply, lol. Children need to learn - they use paper - we encourage them only to use what they need but obv some is wasted. We also do art where paper is used and scrap paper accumulates. Worksheets which were completed months ago and the learning outcome has been achieved means they dont need them anymore so they are thrown out. There are over 400 children in our school so times the amount of work and paper used by one child by 400...I could go on... Obv the fact that we are starting up an eco committee means that we aren't exactly saying to the kids "Yeah, do what you want with the paper, just waste it," so our next step is to look into making better use of our waste by recycling...and wer back to the main purpose of the add in the first place...
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
speak to Nils at the organic cafe - he might be able to help. [email protected]
Thanks Blue Cat - will do! x
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

horizon school have a good recycling programme, talk to them...

MM, xx
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

I am sorry, I have nothing to help you with.

I am only here to say: great idea from a great teacher
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

first google result - although you may have already come across this

http://www.recycle-dubai.com/html_version/home.htm

the only recycle site I know of is, er... hmmm, I can't remember. Al Barsha? I must have driven past it. I think there's one in the Meadows too, so it might be worth taking a peek see if there are any phone numbers attached to the bins.

Good work - we'll get 'em composting yet!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lyds
first google result - although you may have already come across this

http://www.recycle-dubai.com/html_version/home.htm

the only recycle site I know of is, er... hmmm, I can't remember. Al Barsha? I must have driven past it. I think there's one in the Meadows too, so it might be worth taking a peek see if there are any phone numbers attached to the bins.

Good work - we'll get 'em composting yet!
Thanks so much - I did try them but they couldnt help - said they only worked for large companies and theyre not subsidised so make a pricey charge to collect and recycle. You think itd be easy to try and do a good thing huh?! Lol. Thanks anyway, ill keep trying!
x
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
horizon school have a good recycling programme, talk to them...

MM, xx
Thanks so much, ill get on to them asap!
x
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:09 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

aww, that's a shame... when I found their site, I emailed them to ask if they had any plans for recycling in JBR - no reply as yet!

I'm fed up of chucking absolutely everything down the chute.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
aww, that's a shame... when I found their site, I emailed them to ask if they had any plans for recycling in JBR - no reply as yet!

I'm fed up of chucking absolutely everything down the chute.
same here, I gave up in the end
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:20 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well, surely if enough people are interested, then it would be worth their while?! Sure, picking up stuff is easier in areas with villas, but still - stand by your principles chaps!
I might have to ramp up my efforts!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:07 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

So, you don't chuck anything down the chute now???
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Roadking
So, you don't chuck anything down the chute now???
everything goes down now!