Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Reccie to Dubai on Thurs - advice please??!?

Reccie to Dubai on Thurs - advice please??!?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

arc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reccie to Dubai on Thurs - advice please??!?

Hey all Arc here again.

Am heading out to Dubai on Thurs - for some interviews and to have a good look around with my wife and little boy.
I am both excited and yet feeling a little deflated as when I originally wanted to go to Dubai (about 2 years ago) there was no downturn in the UK economy, and I was going for all the right reasons, we are young (29), want great experience both life and work (architect/project manager), want to travel (live in NI....!?!)

But our son was a bit young for the upheavel we decided, and our parents were still overwelmed at 'baby' - and I wanted some more experience in my job before I attempted to work elsewhere.

Recently we researched relocating to Canada - but our hearts had been set on Dubai (big benefit being family there) and we kinda went full circle - and this time we have done something about it.

My worries lie in that I will just be among many who are jumping the sinking ship that the UK is now becoming, can somebody tell me please; are we going to enjoy it or is this about the worst time to do it. My job here is secure and I have recently had a pretty good job offer (virtually unheard off at the minute in NI!) but instead off feeling relieved at this we both feel like we just want to go NOW!

My wife has been doing an Int. Design course at Uni and is willing to defer so we can do this, should we stay or should we go??? Or am I going to end up competing with people who just want to escape the problems in the UK and therefore my genuine interest in working on projects in an amazing 'building site' (am I the only person who thinks this is great!!) will be sadly overlooked?

I know I am waffling a bit but I have had some fantastic advice on here already (thanks again Amazing Grace) - please offer any thoughts.

PS: What factor should we put on a pale Northern Irish 3 year old who can't wait to go on his holidays?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:49 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reccie to Dubai on Thurs - advice please??!?

I am going in Jan 09, got job offer/excepted etc all looking good, we are moving from New Zealand, I am moving with my wife and 2 kids(9&10) because I want to build a HUGE exciting project and the money aint half bad either, but first and foremost I wanna be involved in something that everyone in the world is talking about and be able to say I worked on that.

We are originally from Glasgow, Scotland so same old same old as NI!!!!

I have done 2 reccie's one with family and one without, to be honest the place is one big building site and sand, dust etc everywhere, when I was there a sand storm had been brewing so could not see the top of some of the high towers or much around. Oh and it was bloody warm(went at begining of Sept)

PS My job is as a Commercial Manager.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:44 am
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arc1
Hey all Arc here again.

Am heading out to Dubai on Thurs - for some interviews and to have a good look around with my wife and little boy.
I am both excited and yet feeling a little deflated as when I originally wanted to go to Dubai (about 2 years ago) there was no downturn in the UK economy, and I was going for all the right reasons, we are young (29), want great experience both life and work (architect/project manager), want to travel (live in NI....!?!)

But our son was a bit young for the upheavel we decided, and our parents were still overwelmed at 'baby' - and I wanted some more experience in my job before I attempted to work elsewhere.

Recently we researched relocating to Canada - but our hearts had been set on Dubai (big benefit being family there) and we kinda went full circle - and this time we have done something about it.

My worries lie in that I will just be among many who are jumping the sinking ship that the UK is now becoming, can somebody tell me please; are we going to enjoy it or is this about the worst time to do it. My job here is secure and I have recently had a pretty good job offer (virtually unheard off at the minute in NI!) but instead off feeling relieved at this we both feel like we just want to go NOW!

My wife has been doing an Int. Design course at Uni and is willing to defer so we can do this, should we stay or should we go??? Or am I going to end up competing with people who just want to escape the problems in the UK and therefore my genuine interest in working on projects in an amazing 'building site' (am I the only person who thinks this is great!!) will be sadly overlooked?

I know I am waffling a bit but I have had some fantastic advice on here already (thanks again Amazing Grace) - please offer any thoughts.

PS: What factor should we put on a pale Northern Irish 3 year old who can't wait to go on his holidays?

"Job-seekers lured to UAE"

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...46/0/FRONTPAGE
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:21 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reccie to Dubai on Thurs - advice please??!?

If you are working in construction, good luck. Building sites are suspending work all over the shop as the credit crunch hits Dubai.

The Dubai spin machine still talks a good fight, but the cracks are gaping chasms now if you know where to look. Credit markets are pricing in default by major developers now, Emaar stock hit 4 year lows, major lenders are now requiring minimum 30% deposits. There was even a report over the weekend that even the Dubai government is having problems refinancing its debt in present market conditions. Dubai, surprise surprise, was a huge bubble fuelled on never ending borrowing. Oil down nearly 50% in three months does not help.

I work in Dubai Internet City. About 4 months ago the diggers moved in to a huge plot the size of a city block opposite my office and started digging holes and trucks were moving like busy ants carting the sand away. Then after a month it all stopped. There has been absolutely nothing there for the last 3 months. No trucks, no surveyors, nothing. The holes are now caving in and sand is filling the excavations. I have seen nothing reported in the media. Similar suspensions are happening everywhere, one can only speculate on the reasons since the media here is highly controlled and exercises very careful self-censorship.

I have a few friends in construction and 2 have already been laid off as projects grind to a halt. Things could be worse I guess if you work for an investment bank
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

arc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theduke
I am going in Jan 09, got job offer/excepted etc all looking good, we are moving from New Zealand, I am moving with my wife and 2 kids(9&10) because I want to build a HUGE exciting project and the money aint half bad either, but first and foremost I wanna be involved in something that everyone in the world is talking about and be able to say I worked on that.

We are originally from Glasgow, Scotland so same old same old as NI!!!!

I have done 2 reccie's one with family and one without, to be honest the place is one big building site and sand, dust etc everywhere, when I was there a sand storm had been brewing so could not see the top of some of the high towers or much around. Oh and it was bloody warm(went at begining of Sept)

PS My job is as a Commercial Manager.

Thanks to theduke - good to know someone is feeling the way I do and hope to continue to feel, aiming to get a job sorted on reccie, but half expecting to do a repeat trip alone.

Did it take long for you to get employment over there and are you feeling pleased with the package you got for relocating. Feel free to PM me if you have any other advice. By the way does your wife plan to work as well, once the kids are sorted out re schools etc?

Cheers