British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Ramadan and Sunbathing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ramadan-sunbathing-620980/)

ClareandAlan Jul 19th 2009 10:53 am

Ramadan and Sunbathing

Hi

We are visiting Dubai 20-29 August and have just found out it's Ramadan!

Could anyone advise whether we are able to subathe at our hotel (in a bikini - we're staying at the Crowne Plaza). I have emailed the hotel and they are saying, that it is not usual to dress in a bikini during Ramadan, however, they have not exactly said whether it is permissible at their hotel.

Any advise would be greatly received.

Thanks

Shadya Jul 19th 2009 11:08 am

Re: Ramadan and Sunbathing

Originally Posted by ClareandAlan (Post 7765273)
Hi

Could anyone advise whether we are able to subathe at our hotel (in a bikini - we're staying at the Crowne Plaza). I have emailed the hotel and they are saying, that it is not usual to dress in a bikini during Ramadan, however, they have not exactly said whether it is permissible at their hotel.

Thanks

Personally I think sunbathing in 40degC plus weather is absolutely mental. Too many deaths from skin cancer for my liking. As for clothing, just wear a cotton wrap when walking around the pool but OK to wear a bikini if you are lying down...in the shade.

Spugsy Jul 19th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7765294)
Personally I think sunbathing in 40degC plus weather is absolutely mental. Too many deaths from skin cancer for my liking. As for clothing, just wear a cotton wrap when walking around the pool but OK to wear a bikini if you are lying down...in the shade.

ah man it's fine.

In answer to your question Clare and Alan, if you are in a hotel you'll be fine in a bikini at their private pool or beach, just make sure when you go out at night or through the day you don't have tiny shorts of your baps hanging out and you'll be fine.

ClareandAlan Jul 19th 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks to Spugsy and Shadya for your replies, most helpful. Us British need our sun!

No baps will be hanging out, don't you worry!!!!

Thanks again to both of you.

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ClareandAlan (Post 7765503)
Thanks to Spugsy and Shadya for your replies, most helpful. Us British need our sun!

No baps will be hanging out, don't you worry!!!!

Thanks again to both of you.

have a great holiday :thumbup:

ClareandAlan Jul 19th 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks, Bluecat!

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ClareandAlan (Post 7765561)
Thanks, Bluecat!

don't forget to get yourselves a few bottles of plonk in the DutyFree at Dubai airport, will save you a few quid if you fancy a drink in the room.

Cham128 Jul 19th 2009 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ClareandAlan (Post 7765273)
Hi

Thanks

hold on there, i doubt you'd both be allowed to wear the same bikini at the same time at any time in dubai... best to ask at the hotel when you're there though :)

Patsy Stoned Jul 19th 2009 3:05 pm

just remember that you won't be able to drink alcohol during the day around the pool.No alcohol served until about 7/7.30pm during Ramadan.
However if you take 1 of the "thermos" type bottles down with you topped up with your fav beverage and are discreet you will be ok :) Or you can go to your room for a drink.

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 7765725)
just remember that you won't be able to drink alcohol during the day around the pool.No alcohol served until about 7/7.30pm during Ramadan.
However if you take 1 of the "thermos" type bottles down with you topped up with your fav beverage and are discreet you will be ok :) Or you can go to your room for a drink.

or you could just not drink during the day ........

:p

Patsy Stoned Jul 19th 2009 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7765729)
or you could just not drink during the day ........

:p

ARE YOU MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 7765735)
ARE YOU MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

I was expecting you to say UNTHINKABLE!!!

Patsy Stoned Jul 19th 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7765741)
I was expecting you to say UNTHINKABLE!!!

same same :)

Patsy Stoned Jul 19th 2009 3:13 pm

oh by the way I will have boxes of books for you next week

Blue Cat Jul 19th 2009 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 7765746)
oh by the way I will have boxes of books for you next week

:thumbup: PM me, I will pop over :)