Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ramadan etiquette question

Ramadan etiquette question

Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ramadan etiquette question

I correspond regularly with an Arab contact at partner company in Dubai. The relationship is largely on a professional level, but over time has added some personal warmth as well, e.g. in less formal communications (e-mail, phone) we chat a little about our families, etc.

Question: is it customary / appropriate to add references to Ramadan in informal exchanges at this time of year. I.e. are there Ramadan equivalents to "Seasons Greetings" or similar sentiments? If so, and these were expressed by a Christian to a Muslim, would that seem polite (the desired outcome) or strange/forced?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ramadan etiquette question

Usually you say "Ramadan Kareem" and when it is finished you say "Eid Mubarak".
Old Aug 29th 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

No problem at all in a Christian saying this to a fellow Muslim.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

I personally think you will score brownie points.
As i understand that for an expat/non-muslim to extend the greeting - Ramadan Kareem or even the usual Salam-al le khoum (forgive my spelling) indicates that you are making an effort to show respect and acknowledge their culture.

Its a bit like going in to a epicerie/boulangerie in a french speaking country and asking for bread and not even saying 'Bonjour'. I wont even add trying to say du pain. You may end up having to make your own bread.

I have extended these muslim/arabic greetings and it has been well received from my arab colleagues. They have even expressed surprise if i actually speak arabic. Of course i am trying to make do like the rest of us.

So 'Inshallah' it will be well for you!

Ramadan Kareem
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:36 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

abner, Ramadan Kareem
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Ramadan Kareem, Spurss.

And, a note of thanks for everyone who has replied on this thread. It is exactly the information I needed.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Ramadan Kareem, Spurss.

And, a note of thanks for everyone who has replied on this thread. It is exactly the information I needed.
To reinforce what the others have said, a little bit of arabic in the pleasantry department goes a long way. Other things like trying not to smoke, eat or drink in front of colleagues who are fasting during Ramadan. That's a little bit harder and it's a personal choice.

Mind you, don't be dozy bastard [i.e. me] who stood outside their office in Jeddah; next to a mosque; after prayers; during Ramadan; smoking a fag and drinking coffee.