Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding Visa's and Working

Questions Regarding Visa's and Working

Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

LourieBelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions Regarding Visa's and Working

Hi There, this is my first post so bare with me. I have about a million questions and I'm having a hard time finding answers. My boyfriend is working in Dubai and we are planning for me to go over to stay with him. Can anyone tell me how the visa thing works. He is a resident now I think. I hear you can go on a visit visa and do a visa "run" to Oman and back in one day and have it extended. Can I look for a job and apply for a job whilst on a visit visa? And if I for example get my visa via a travel agent doesnt this mean that Im being sponsored by some sort of hotel, which wont be the case? Ok I know I sound confusing, Im confusing myself

I went there last year and the visa was sorted out by his company, (which they wont do for employees anymore due to someone messing it up for the rest of the employees) and myself and my child had visas that stated my ex (the father of my child) being my husband which was not the case, ive never been married. then the visa was extended for another 2weeks for a fee aparantly.

Point is, if i get tickets and a visa (i assume u can get one from Travel agent) via travel agent and stay at his place instead of a hotel can that work? And can I extend my visa doing the Oman thing and can I look for a job and apply for one?

anyone's help or advice would be great, its getting a bit desperate now

Thanks in advance

LB
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:46 am
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice
Default Re: Questions Regarding Visa's and Working

Originally Posted by LourieBelle
Hi There, this is my first post so bare with me. I have about a million questions and I'm having a hard time finding answers. My boyfriend is working in Dubai and we are planning for me to go over to stay with him. Can anyone tell me how the visa thing works. He is a resident now I think. I hear you can go on a visit visa and do a visa "run" to Oman and back in one day and have it extended. Can I look for a job and apply for a job whilst on a visit visa? And if I for example get my visa via a travel agent doesnt this mean that Im being sponsored by some sort of hotel, which wont be the case? Ok I know I sound confusing, Im confusing myself

I went there last year and the visa was sorted out by his company, (which they wont do for employees anymore due to someone messing it up for the rest of the employees) and myself and my child had visas that stated my ex (the father of my child) being my husband which was not the case, ive never been married. then the visa was extended for another 2weeks for a fee aparantly.

Point is, if i get tickets and a visa (i assume u can get one from Travel agent) via travel agent and stay at his place instead of a hotel can that work? And can I extend my visa doing the Oman thing and can I look for a job and apply for one?

anyone's help or advice would be great, its getting a bit desperate now

Thanks in advance

LB

Hi LourieBelle,

I have just started looking into visas.

From what I have read you are not really allowed to look for work if you entered on a visitors visa, but from what I hear people do it anyway.

There is a small amount of info on the UAE Embassy website.

Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Your right your post is confusing, but I think you will find your answers if you look on this forum, simply scroll through the pages, the position regarding partners, children seems especially difficult, I believe a visors visa for someone from UK last 60 days then you do visa run for 30 days extension, i understand you can look for a job but depending what you do and how old your child is, how you gonna manage, I don't think you can have a resident vias on a part time job! Also you will need your ex (father of child) written permission to bring your child on your visa as and when you get 1. Its the same if you loose a job you loose your resident visa till you get a new job, but as I say particlarly difficult when not married and someone else's childs name on the birth certificate.
For a start look at www.gulgnews.com
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Ok, my 3yr old son is on my name so not sure if that rules out the permission from the father, who by the way had a stroke and moved back to the UK and left us behind (more visa crap involved). He isnt capable of reading or writing anymore on top of it all.

Been sifting through some posts, found one that has a very similar situation and thought I might contact the guy but no luck as he has no contact information. Wouldve loved to know what happened in the end.

If by some small miracle my bf got me a job with his company that would obviously mean they would sort out all the visa stuff for myself and my son.

However Im still not clear on the issue of applying for jobs whilst on a visit visa? The websites given were of no use, or maybe i was just useless (dont say it...)

Basically all I want to do there is get over there, find a job and get my son into a creche and live happily ever after...in Dubai. To find a job from here is painful, especially if one is not so overly qualified. Websites listing job opportunities are non-responsive. So my thought was that it would be better to get there and then start looking around.

Either way, I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming...
LB
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, my 3yr old son is on my name so not sure if that rules out the permission from the father, who by the way had a stroke and moved back to the UK and left us behind (more visa crap involved). He isnt capable of reading or writing anymore on top of it all.

Been sifting through some posts, found one that has a very similar situation and thought I might contact the guy but no luck as he has no contact information. Wouldve loved to know what happened in the end.

If by some small miracle my bf got me a job with his company that would obviously mean they would sort out all the visa stuff for myself and my son.

However Im still not clear on the issue of applying for jobs whilst on a visit visa? The websites given were of no use, or maybe i was just useless (dont say it...)

Basically all I want to do there is get over there, find a job and get my son into a creche and live happily ever after...in Dubai. To find a job from here is painful, especially if one is not so overly qualified. Websites listing job opportunities are non-responsive. So my thought was that it would be better to get there and then start looking around.

LB
no unfortunately it won't be a miracle that will sort out your son's visa...if he is not your husband's son, and hence not on his visa, you will have huge problems...sorry, but that is how it is here...even if you had your own working visa it is difficult as a single mum to get the child visa, though not impossible, of course...

MM, xx
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:58 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

LB
I have seen vacancies for jobs which specify you to be on visit visa.. they will supply your residency visa. However, I think your biggest problem will be sponsorship of your son.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
I have seen vacancies for jobs which specify you to be on visit visa.. they will supply your residency visa. However, I think your biggest problem will be sponsorship of your son.
due to your ex's condition there must be someone who has power of attorney over his affairs! I guess whoever that is would have to give the letter stating that he does not object to you bringing your child into the country.

think you really need to contact a UAE lawyer on this!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Hi Louriebell - ref previous similar pots, trying posting again and PM them or reply through the post reopening it.

BeeBee I understood that a single parent could sponser her child, from her resident visa! I am obviously in a similar position as previously explained, my partner coming out mid Feb with myself following end March, although my partners company is in esence sponsoring me and they clearly know my son is involved but have never mentioned any difficulty in me sponsering him.
Now Im worried
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
Hi Louriebell - ref previous similar pots, trying posting again and PM them or reply through the post reopening it.

BeeBee I understood that a single parent could sponser her child, from her resident visa! I am obviously in a similar position as previously explained, my partner coming out mid Feb with myself following end March, although my partners company is in esence sponsoring me and they clearly know my son is involved but have never mentioned any difficulty in me sponsering him.
Now Im worried

Im no expert but I think you can sponsor your child but you need a no objection letter from the father.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axlenoyl

Now Im worried
Hi

Lots of women sponsor their children here, u may be asked to supply a letter from the childs father to give permission for u to sponsor, if thats a prob for u there are ways around this also

Get a job, fisnish yr residency then do your children (s)

Good luck and dont worry

Annacarna (ge)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Thanks for clarifying thats how I understood it, there is no problem with my sons father providing a letter.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Well this is all very distressing regarding my son. I dont understand why it would be so difficult for a three yr old to accompany his mother with the same visa (visit visa) I mean if i went over on a holiday with him to stay at the Meridian for eg what would documentation would i require then? "you can come for a holiday but your son needs to stay behind ma'am" Surely if went over and found a job as Beebee noted, then the company sponsoring me would have to sponsor him on the grounds that he is my child and Im his sole provider?

Just spoke to the BF, he is stuck at the airport now waiting to fly to DXB, when he gets there he will do some more investigation with the locals in the know. He said (which was not funny btw) that if it were just me he could hire me as his maid and everything would be sorted, but seeing as I have a child its more complex. The other thing is we could get married and he could sponsor me right? But we've only been together for about a yr and Im not ready to marry him, let alone anyone.

Ok, I guess this is not an agony aunt forum...

Will see if I might be able to get into contact with "Tarker" that posted a thread regarding the same issue (pretty sure his gf didnt have a child though which might have made things easier) If anyone knows "Tarker" and how to get hold of him let me know. (needle in a haystack?) Ive checked his profile, no info of use.

TARKER IF YOU'RE READING THIS... LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENED MAN.

LB
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Hi

Lots of women sponsor their children here, u may be asked to supply a letter from the childs father to give permission for u to sponsor, if thats a prob for u there are ways around this also

Get a job, fisnish yr residency then do your children (s)

Good luck and dont worry

Annacarna (ge)
hey!!!! welcome back doll...how's u???

MM, xx
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hey!!!! welcome back doll...how's u???

MM, xx
OOh i was just sending u a pm

all good and ROUND here
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annacarna
OOh i was just sending u a pm

all good and ROUND here
lovely, can't wait to catch up...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.