Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question about travel from KSA to Bahrain

Question about travel from KSA to Bahrain

Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

stooge is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question about travel from KSA to Bahrain

After 2 years of teaching English in Madrid, I'm thinking about applying for a job doing the same in eastern Saudi Arabia. However, I'm worried that I'll be trapped there for the duration of my contract, and would really like to be able to escape to Bahrain for weekends.

I understand any potential employer will probably keep hold of my passport and visa, then issue me with an Iqama. Will the Iqama be enough to get me across the causeway and back, or will I have to get a multiple entry visa and request my passport from my employer for every trip to Bahrain?

It sounds like a bit of a PITA, but I'd be willing to do it, so long as any potential employer was likely to hand over my passport each weekend.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:26 am
Mary Poppins 4evah!

Umbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really nice
Default Re: Question about travel from KSA to Bahrain

Ahoy,

I'll be arriving in a few weeks. I've been thinking about this as well. I'm just so busy that I haven't had the time to ask. I've found nothing under search. I will be teaching in Riyadh.

If anyone could enlighten us about this, I would really appreciate it. A trip to the Vegas of the Magic Kingdom from time to time would do much to restore morale! ;p

Umbrella
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

edinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stooge
After 2 years of teaching English in Madrid, I'm thinking about applying for a job doing the same in eastern Saudi Arabia. However, I'm worried that I'll be trapped there for the duration of my contract, and would really like to be able to escape to Bahrain for weekends.

I understand any potential employer will probably keep hold of my passport and visa, then issue me with an Iqama. Will the Iqama be enough to get me across the causeway and back, or will I have to get a multiple entry visa and request my passport from my employer for every trip to Bahrain?

It sounds like a bit of a PITA, but I'd be willing to do it, so long as any potential employer was likely to hand over my passport each weekend.
If you are carrying a British passport they wont retain your passport. They will give it back to you after your Iqama has came through. The only time I've heard of passports being held by employer is if you are a resident of India, Pakistan, Phillipines etc. and working in lower paid positions e.g cleaning, driving. If your employer does demand to keep your passport then I would seriously reconsider moving out here. Your employer should sort out your multiple exit re-entry visa to get in and out of KSA.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:16 am
Just Joined

msk2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Question about travel from KSA to Bahrain

Originally Posted by stooge

Hi, I have been working in Riyadh for a year now and fortunately I work under swedish management hence from the day one I dont have any problems with my passport and it has been with me all the time of course with a multiple exit rentry.

you can go to Bahrain , fly to Dubai or Qatar via budget airlines like easy jet.
As pointed out earlier hopefully they will not retain your passport because of your nationality and once you have the multiple entry you will have more reasons to carry it yourself. But a word of caution dont keep the iqama and passport together. Apparently its not allowed so if you are traveling out of the country present only the passport.

Bon Voyage!!!!

MSK
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:11 pm
Mary Poppins 4evah!

Umbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really nice

Thank you both for this information.

I really appreciate it

U.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Umbrella
Thank you both for this information.

I really appreciate it

U.
Giving you a multiple exit/reentry visa implies you will use it - if they are happy to give you that, there is no reason to hold your passport.

The causeway has had a few delays recently but avoiding 'peak times' (Wednesday arvo and evo) will help. If your employer provides you with a car, you need to get them to sort out the paperwork for the nice passport and customs man. Once you've crossed over once, it's much easier - their system retains your details for ever.