Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatari customs roulette

Qatari customs roulette

Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future
Default Qatari customs roulette

Is it good form to resurrect a zombie thread like this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=qatar+customs - ?

Or may I ask almost exactly the same question, that is:

So I hear Qatari customs are causing strife at the minute, I am getting shippers' banned items lists through including all CDs, 'VCDs' (DVD & Blu-ray I assume) and toys. Toys! Hard to be a kid in Qatar these days, or a 20-year old with Lego Star Wars... *coughs*

I can follow basic instructions and leave the "End is Nigh" sandwich board at home - with the well worn copy of Basic Instinct on VHS and the pork scratchings. All I want to know is, will they confiscate either my Alain de Botton ("Religion for Atheists") or my copy of The Godfather? Please don't tell me they'll burn my copy of Wall-E.

Andy
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qatari customs roulette

I arrived 7 months ago and none of our boxes had been opened Was the same when I went to Saudi, a lot of noise about this and that, but again nothing touched.

Then again you could get unlucky!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

Cheers. I'm thinking the movers are terrified of being caught in possession of someone else's prohibited items. Probably due to how many of us try to bring whiskey and bacon in with our containers.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

We have had no problems but met someone the other evening who had all their boxes opened and had some stuff taken - it really is a game of roulette.....

As for your Lego addiction - don't worry you can buy Lego Star Wars including a very large (read 3ft tall) working R2D2 Lego set at Toys R Us on the C Ring Rd - my boys were drooling over it and the other 3 rows of Lego they found there last week end ;P

Can you 'blank cover' the books so it isn't obvious what they are?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

I'll bore them to tears with my engineering geology reference books on the top.

I've just been told that binoculars are military equipment - never felt so James Bond, thanks to pocket bins from the National Trust!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
I'll bore them to tears with my engineering geology reference books on the top.
A fellow rock jock?